Xbox Achievements?

C_Simler84

I just played the trial and loved it so decided to buy the game but to my huge disappointment soon found out there are no achievements on the xbox one version. After a little research I discovered that the PC version has them and don't understand why the xbox one doesn't have them. My question is too one of the devs is why does the xbox version not have achievements or will it be coming soon in an update? If they are coming soon that would be great because I am a player who likes to feel progress and completion but without achievements its hard to feel like what I have done the past 4 hours.. lol I must say I really love the game but would like to strive for an achievement while playing.

Thanks for reading,

Great to see more Xbox players joining the forum to provide their feedback too :)

The current PC Achievements you're seeing aren't actually in the game per se, but rather are part of the Steam site where the virtual alpha version is purchased and managed for PC/Mac machines. Hinterland can set to triggers to display virtual achievements on the Steam boards, but don't actually control or own them. Steam only allows results from the accounts and games sold through them.

There's always a chance the devs might set up some internal [in-game] achievements further along [priority will be on the main game components and story mode first], which I think would serve well, including when the physical retail is available.

Once they're closer to having all the main components completed, it wouldn't surprise me to see various types of in-game achievements and awards.

Surely XBox achievements are triggered similarly, Bill? By in-game events which submit a call to the API?

Or am I mistaken? Are XBox achievements really a little more difficult to implement? There's Gamerscore too in their case, I understand, but putting that aside I'd like to draw a distinction between "XBox achievements" and "in-game achievements"; are they really one and the same on XBox?

Surely XBox achievements are triggered similarly, Bill? By in-game events which submit a call to the API?

Or am I mistaken? Are XBox achievements really a little more difficult to implement? There's Gamerscore too in their case, I understand

No, Xbox and Steam are two completely different companies.

The question was about why the Xbox version didn't have the same achievements as the PC's have on Steam. The thing is, only the virtual copies of games purchased and managed through Steam are allowed on their Leaderboards and Achievements system. It's also different because those Achievements and Leaderboard scores can be reset once the project is completed and released as a full version on Steam (Xbox, physical copies, and any other platforms not purchased on Steam still won't be allowed on the Steam achievement boards).

Now I know Xbox has badges and achievements, but they're unlocked differently. As well, since there have never been Early Access [Game Preview] versions of games released through Xbox before, I don't know if they have an achievement/score reset or not for once the full game version is completed. They likely do, but it simply hasn't been set up for The Long Dark yet.

Priority was making the game available for the E3 release, and will likely be for updates to match the most current version once some of the studio team are back from E3. Once the main priorities are taken care of first, then they might start looking at the requirements and system for the Xbox version of various achievements.

A lot of the current Steam achievements and Leaderboard settings are also just test ones... some will be kept, some may be dropped, criteria will likely be changed for others, and new ones will be added... A lot will depend on how easily similar (and different) achievements can be set in each version.

It wouldn't surprise me if the devs has already been looking at the Xbox settings and achievement systems, so there may be something soon, or they may focus on other improvements for the current Xbox version...

But no worries, I'm almost positive there will be a full achievement setup for the Xbox as well... might not be immediately, but there will be one. :)

putting that aside I'd like to draw a distinction between "XBox achievements" and "in-game achievements"; are they really one and the same on XBox?

By "in game" I meant something like possibly having an area like the Log option, but showing Stats (kills, time survived, scores, etc.] adding in achievement badges stored in the same type of menu for viewing at any time while in the game - as opposed to only seeing them when logged into Steam.

Likewise with Xbox - I realize there are main areas to view all achievements for all the games played [which may be what's done for the Xbox version since it's set up for it, while PC versions don't have that "all game achievement" type area to use.

Again, all this is strictly speculation... I'm sure the studio already has thoughts and preparations planned and/or in the works. They'll be back from E3 soon, and I'mm pretty sure they'll be on top of things -- they're a pretty damn impressive team, and get a lot done pretty quickly ;)

No, Xbox and Steam are two completely different companies.

I think you may have misunderstood my question; perhaps I phrased it poorly. My apologies.

It's also different because those Achievements and Leaderboard scores can be reset once the project is completed and released as a full version on Steam. [...] I don't know if [XBox] have an achievement/score reset or not for once the full game version is completed. They likely do, but it simply hasn't been set up for The Long Dark yet.

That answers my question though. That and, of course, prioritising E3. :)

I actually have the Steam version but as a developer myself I was curious about how achievements were handled. I could definitely see how it would be necessary to delay till the full-release to include achievements if they really are fixed in stone on XBox Live.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

First post here, just picked the game up a couple days ago. Survived about 5 days so far, holed up at the Lookout.

I noticed that there are achievements for the game on Steam, but not on the Xbox One version. I know it's possible (Elite: Dangerous, also on Game Preview, has achievements). I'm very happy to play setting my own goals, but was curious if there was any plan to bring those achievements to the XB1. I'd love to aim for that 100 days...

ADMIN NOTE: Post merged with current thread discussing same topic

Archived