Renewable Resources - Compilation?

faintpulse

I just picked up TLD a few days ago and have been playing during practically all of my free time since then. I've racked up a few deaths by now, but I think I've experienced/read enough at this point to start making my future trials last longer. To that end, I'd like to ask the forum here about what kinds of renewables are available to extend gameplay indefinitely?

Fishing's an obvious one, but hooks are made from scrap metal, which isn't. Also, the overall efficacy of fishing seems somewhat dubious given the number of calories in each fish.

Snaring rabbits does seem truly renewable. Snares can be re-used indefinitely afaik, as they don't degrade with use. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Harvesting deer remains could be viable, but it means keeping the wolves around, and I don't know if frozen/harvested corpses eventually despawn (or just litter the map indefinitely). Also, if the remains are frozen, one needs a tool...and that will eventually degrade to nothing.

Crafting clothing lasts only as long as your sewing kits, which could be very long but not indefinite.

Of note here might also be bows, but maple saplings don't re-grow afaik (it's winter after all).

Am I missing anything? It seems that crafting some crude tools from rock and wood wouldn't be all that much of a stretch while keeping things realistic. I'm not sure if any of you guys are familiar with the almost entirely text-based, turn-based survival game, NEO Scavenger...but its take on survival in the wilderness (whittling spears, building temporary shelter/noise traps, etc) does provide (sci-fi elements aside) some food for thought vis-a-vis TLD.

If you're going into the game with extended play in mind, you can start by being selective about the resources you scavenge. Items won't start degrading until you actually pick them up, so if you see something you know you can live without that could be of high value later in the life of your game, try to leave it and maybe make note of where it is.

There are a lot of good threads about making the most of your fishing experience floating around. I can try to dig a few up if you're interested.

Snaring rabbits is a good way to keep resources flowing. I don't believe snares actually degrade (I'll update if this isn't the case), but they can flat-out break.

Harvesting remains is a good way to go without having to use your own resources, but wildlife does respawn, so you'll be "keeping wolves around" no matter what you do ;)

And you're correct, plants do not regrow for now. As a wrap-up, I guess the biggest takeaway message is the first point I made: If you don't need it, don't take it!

Thanks for the feedback. Always feel free to stop by and share your thoughts and adventures!

Welcome to the forums!

Fishing is not worth it in my opinion. Not enough calories for the effort and fish also degrades faster than other foods. And now that you can use fishing tackle to repair clothes, I'm not wasting my tackle on fishing anymore.

Snaring is indeed fully renewable. The snares don't degrade but can break. A broken snare can be harvested to get the reclaimed wood back. Add a new gut and you've got yourself a new snare.

The deer corpses that are spawned at the beginning of the game will not despawn (at least not until after you've harvested (part of?) them). I always leave these for when I need them. It's good to have a non-degrading food supply ;)

Pro-tip: you can light a fire next to a frozen animal corpse to thaw it so you can harvest it without tools.

Clothes are indeed not fully renewable, but it's been a long time since I ran out of clothes before I died. Especially now we can use fishing tackle to repair clothes (including the crafted clothes). Save sewing kits for crafting and use fishing tackle for repairs.

If you're going into the game with extended play in mind, you can start by being selective about the resources you scavenge. Items won't start degrading until you actually pick them up, so if you see something you know you can live without that could be of high value later in the life of your game, try to leave it and maybe make note of where it is.

That's pretty much the most important part if you want to have a really long run. If you don't need it, don't pick it up. And also: don't loot (search containers) if you don't really need anything you may find.

This does get bothersome though. At some point I had a list several pages long of all the items I had left/ containers I hadn't looted yet at all locations I had visited. And that was before the addition of Pleasant Valley!

Archived