really enjoying this game. my thoughts after 1 hour

mosler

ok I havent played long enough to hold to many opinions. however

Love the concept

Love the art

Love the lack of zombies

Love the sound and how it makes you feel genuinely cold.

my only suggestions thus far.

i spent the first 30 min not knowing about the tab button. very frustrating trying to rekindle dead fires without knowing how to do it.

I find the lack of a jump button to have a profound effect on destroying immersion. In a game, the only thing worse than lack of jump is invisible walls. even if jump never allowed you to get on or over things the comfort of knowing that the space bar allowed me to move vertically a bit would be enough to restore immersion.

also. The lack of the ability to place things in containers will not allow me to feel like i am building up a place of my own for survival. Yes I can drop things on the floor. but it just isnt quite good enough. when someone drops an item on the ground in a video game there will always be that idea in the back of their mind that it might reach some sort of game time limit and disappear forever.

just little things. Anyway. great game so far, love it, and I look forward to seeing what else you add.

Thanks for the feedback!

We've had a decent amount of discussion about a jump feature. You can read the most recent thoughts from our creative director here

I'm not sure what you mean about not being able to place things in containers! You should be able to store your supplies in most containers (metal boxes, storage containers, dressers, refrigerators, filing cabinets, etc)...If you're unable to access these containers after looting them, it may be a bug. We certainly wouldn't make you store everything on the floor, especially since storing things in containers (in the game) helps keep them preserved a bit longer! Let us know if you're having problems!

Thanks for the kind words as well! Welcome to the forums!

when someone drops an item on the ground in a video game there will always be that idea in the back of their mind that it might reach some sort of game time limit and disappear forever.

Stuff in The Long Dark have this "nifty" thing called _condition_ which determines how close an item is to being totally useless and/or is going to dissapear forever. So don't place items into containers thinking they'll be there forever. They WILL deteriorate with time. Some faster than others.

I also played the game a bit over an hour so I figured I might as well write here my first impression/suggestion.

Just like you, I enjoy the game so far. But for me the exploration part is kind of ruined (or at least not as enjoyable as it could be) because the game lacks auto run key (a.k.a. walking toggle a.k.a. cruise control). Don't you think it would be neat to have the character keep walking/running until you tell them otherwise? Occasionally, you would steer by looking around with the mouse, but most of the time you would just soak up the atmosphere and look out for plants/animals of interest.

I intuitively expected it to be a thing in a game like this. I kept pressing Q and E in vain, and then checked the key mappings, but no, it's not there.

And it should be. Holding W for twenty minutes is no fun at all. What do you think?

What do you think?

While I personally don't have any need for it I can see why some want it and I don't have anything against it. This is continously suggested so if anything at least the devs know it's a desire.

Also, whatever you call it, holding a key down to unbind the direction you are looking from the direction you are moving. If that makes any sense. This has also been suggested some time ago but nobody mentioned it since. Somebody must have killed it dead or players lost interest and gave up.

Archived