3D attack

octavian

As a horror game, TLD needs 3D attack. If horror confuses you, make a leap of faith and come with me, I'm trying to keep word count to a minimum. So, 3D attack. Wolves and bears horizontally, but vertically, above and below? Weather doesn't count, that's not directional, stepping on a bear trap is an example of danger coming from below. I don't care if bear traps specifically, it's just an example. Danger from above, no idea. Makes no difference what these are if they can/will hurt players and fit the game.

Not only this puts extra pressure on players but adds texture too. Texture surprising for most as games with true 3D attack, unlike horror in novels and movies, are rare, can't name any of the top of my head. To work, all directions must be equally dangerous, an attack from above/below would be as dangerous as a wolf/bear.

That's it.

+1 for more non-animal dangers, from above or below.

Whenever I'm in the abandoned mines I'm always thinking about rock falls. Mines look and sound dangerous, there's evidence of others being caught up in landslides and cave-ins, but I seem to be exempt from these rules whenever I'm travelling through. This has always felt a little odd, as though when I'm outside Nature wants a piece of me wherever I go, but once I'm underground I'm invincible. I'd like mine and cave danger. Occasional. Unexpected. Probably with a brief audio warning.

I'd like thin ice near waterfalls, or waterfalls that will drag you under if you try to get too close. I've always thought that those spikey bushes look like they ought to catch and rip my clothes if I try to run through them. I wouldn't mind a trap or two at sensible locations, like in the valley around the trapper's homestead or the draft dodger's cabin. Maybe a dug trap or pit would be best, because you can't remove it or reuse it or dig one yourself. If you run over one it could sprain your ankle and take a few attempts to climb out of. Some broken barbed wire in amongst the bushes would be plausible too (and could be quite hard to see).

Would like to hear other ideas too.

Someone a while ago suggested big cats (I think lynx and bobcats) jumping on us from tree branches or rocks above us. That could be a nice one.

A bit OT (sorry) but another thing that would scare the hell out of me would be seeing all the wildlife, predators and prey alike, running away at the same time without paying attention to the player. Seeing deer, wolves, rabbits, crows and bears not giving the character a second look and fleeing would pose interesting questions, like "what are they running from" and "should I run too?". It could be just weird behavior caused by the geomagnetic event or they could really be fleeing, not knowing makes it even scarier.

A bit OT (sorry) but another thing that would scare the hell out of me would be seeing all the wildlife, predators and prey alike, running away at the same time without paying attention to the player.

Reminded me of Strelok's dream.

Now let's get back on topic people :D

Love the pouncing lynx idea. Yes, that would scare me!

I think I also saw someone suggest snow falling from tree branches on sunny days or if you build a fire underneath a tree. It could put out your fire, and make you colder (e.g. it's half melted and you get wet). Could it actually hurt you if it fell from high branches? Possibly. It could get in your eyes for a couple of seconds. Seeing movement in the distance would capture your attention, and make it harder to spot wolves.

Oh god new horrors. Thin ice, forgetting where a bear trap is or finding one the hard way, ouch.

Playing the game the first time, walking on ice was doubtful. Actually walked slow and near shore.

Now I'm fearless. I agree, some 3D elements would add something. Haven't seen a wolf on a cliff above me, so I no longer scan above. Haven't stepped in anything so don't worry about the strange markings found in snow.

Love finding that wee bit of shelter in the lee on a cliff or tree.

Warmer. Colder. Warmer.

Archived