Please bring back the empty lantern fuel container

This is driving me nuts, I must spend so much time trying to preserve lantern fuel. Currently I have a lantern with 99% and 0.01L and another with 44% and 0.6L. A small can with 0.41L. See the problem? I can fill the bad one and harvest the good one but not the other way around. Last year it was possible to simply keep the empty bottle and fill it later.

The lantern fuel recycling is imo one one the least well thought out features of the game, and lantern fuel has become the most precious resource (it used to be ammo but no more). What we had last year was at least a solution. Also the bottles look nice so why not keep them?

Even better would be a mechanism to make light from some renewable source, so that it would not be necessary to spend so much time in the dark. Most interiors are much too dark to play during daylight, and the lanterns eat up fuel like crazy.

Do the lanterns actually deteriorate? I think not. In my current run, I have a lantern at 22%, and it's been that way for a long while. So no problem harvesting the better lamp. I think we have not yet seen the end of lantern/fuel design.

I think I saw a similar post about this (if I'm understanding your issue correctly) yesterday and someone commented that harvesting a lantern does salvage the fuel but I have yet to verify this myself because I'm going for the 200 day survival achievement in stalker mode on my current game and am afraid of losing the fuel if I harvest my low quality (but full) lantern.

Hotzn brings up a good point. I'm not sure if the quality on the lantern I'm currently carrying has actually gone down. I'll start monitoring that and report back. Regardless Burning Bridges does have a point. We need an easy way to harvest/consolidate lantern fuel.

I presumed everyone who would post in a thread already knows that remaining fuel goes into cans. That was not my question here.

The problem I described is that cand with 0.0L disappear, even if you need them to take 0.5L fuel from a second or third lamp (by harvesting). Last year the game would keep bottles with 0.0L Kerosene (just like burnt out flares). That means you could fill one lamp with kerosene, harvest another lamp and (up to 0.5L) remaining kerosene would go into the can.

Now, if you dont magically have the required amounts in lamps / cans you often cannot get fuel from one lamp to the other, without losing large portions of it.

Everyone can do the arithmetics

Lamp A at 99% and 0.01L

Lamp B with 44% and 0.6L

Small fuel can with 0.41L

The first one who manages to get the fuel from Lamp B into Lamp A Or into the fuel can gets a price. And no, I am not going to carry around several lamps and jerry cans.

By removing a simple solution to a simple problem a much bigger problem has been created.

I went to see if you could cut the refuel short by escaping the progress bar, thus saving some fuel in the bottle to not have it disappear.

Unfortunately that is not possible either...if you escape the refueling progress bar you still get the full refuel.

I wonder if that is by design or just an oversight. Seems more logical to have it work like harvesting carcasses; if you cut the harvest short you don't get all the meat.

Otherwise people would just bypass the progress bar altogether, cutting time but getting the full benefits.

+1 to a general solution that will allow us to transfer fluids between whatever valid container we want. And if it would also let us select the amount to transfer, like when transferring water from your inventory to a cabinet, that would be even better.

You should just select two items or containers and then see a variant of the toilet interface. The only difference is that it works in both directions. I would also still like to get the empty cans back, because it would be useful to refill and carry 0.5L kerosene with me. (I read that Unity 4 has already problem with the amount of objects in the game, but hopefully in the future this is considered again.)

Archived