New or buggy wolf behavior?

I've just encountered a wolf seemingly acting in player weakness mode, but my condition was at 100%, I wasn't carrying any smells, no status was depleted, my fatigue was at around 50% and without any sprains or blood loss and with carry weight well below overencumbered.
It only followed me briefly but it was catching up to me despite my walking speed being just below standard, and the moment I sprinted to gain distance it immediately entered charge mode.
It also completely ignored a nearby deer that it would have gone after under normal circumstances.

The only ailment of note was sprain risk from being just below 50% fatigue (at cca 39.0/40 kg).
This was a regular wolf on coastal highway (not poisoned wolf).

Are there any other triggers that can cause player weakness from wolves?
I've never had a wolf do this from just sprain risk at marginally below 50% fatigue, so it caught me off guard and I had to use a flare.

Edited by Talavaj

Posted (edited)

Standard interloper.
I was well outside of typical charge range when the wolf started charging.
And it started charging immediately (marked by the bark) after I started sprinting, it wasn't the kind of "catching up to you" movement.
It was identical to when you aim a weapon/stone at them, but I didn't have any weapons drawn until I heard the sound.

I was also redlining on hunger, because I was topping up with cat tails.
But I still had well fed buff and hunger above zero, I've never found that to be a factor.

Edited by Talavaj

If there was a sprain risk then that may have been what caused the wolf to be more aggressive. I've seen some wolves on Interloper be very persistent so it was probably the combination of Interloper and encumbrance. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Talavaj said:

the moment I sprinted to gain distance it immediately entered charge mode.

PC or console?  I've heard of this happening on Console and it seems the wolf behavior on console might be somewhat different than PC.  I'm on PC and I often sprint when a wolf is following me.  I haven't had one attack because of me sprinting in a very long time, including after the most recent update.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

This was on PC on the recent steam hotfix.

I've heard that wolves can charge you if you sprint, because their chase speed is faster than your own sprint/or they fail to slow down early enough, and occasionally this will put them just close enough to trigger charge.
This is perhaps what happened.

I've never had that happen with just a sprain risk alone, but then again I usually have a lit torch or just bow wolves down so I'm not sure about that.
In any case, I will be a lot more paranoid from now on.

Edited by Talavaj

3 hours ago, Talavaj said:

I've heard that wolves can charge you if you sprint, because their chase speed is faster than your own sprint/or they fail to slow down early enough, and occasionally this will put them just close enough to trigger charge.

Ah, interesting.  That definitely sounds plausible.