Improvised Bed Roll - And Other Essentials

Ansible

I'm not talking the Improvised DOWN Bedroll, I'm talking that we should be able to make our OWN Improvised bed roll, using enough cloth and sewing kits/fishing lures.

Make it some ridiculous amount of cloth and like two whole sewing kits to balance it or something. I just feel like most of the "essential" elements of the game should be totally craft-able from replenish-able ingredients found around the game world, so that "theoretically" you should be able to live "forever" if you're crafty enough. Pun intended.

Like, I'd call a crowbar essential myself, it'd be cool if we could jimmy together our own crowbar, from like 5 or 10 pieces of scrap metal. I mean, if we can take random scrap metal and somehow make that PERFECTLY shaped coil for the transmitters, we sure as hell should be able to craft a long straight rod from a bunch of random metal!

6 hours ago, Ansible said:

I mean, if we can take random scrap metal and somehow make that PERFECTLY shaped coil for the transmitters, we sure as hell should be able to craft a long straight rod from a bunch of random metal!

I have to agree on that, but probably smithing a weaker crowbar would be better fitting.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Ansible said:

I'm not talking the Improvised DOWN Bedroll, I'm talking that we should be able to make our OWN Improvised bed roll, using enough cloth and sewing kits/fishing lures.

Make it some ridiculous amount of cloth and like two whole sewing kits to balance it or something. I just feel like most of the "essential" elements of the game should be totally craft-able from replenish-able ingredients found around the game world, so that "theoretically" you should be able to live "forever" if you're crafty enough. Pun intended.

Like, I'd call a crowbar essential myself, it'd be cool if we could jimmy together our own crowbar, from like 5 or 10 pieces of scrap metal. I mean, if we can take random scrap metal and somehow make that PERFECTLY shaped coil for the transmitters, we sure as hell should be able to craft a long straight rod from a bunch of random metal!

That is a good idea in my book, ive had loper runs where I could not find a bedroll, even after i got a bow and pelt clothes etc, so making your own bedroll would really make sence to me. It should be hard to make but of course nothing too hard, to make it fair. You should only have a bunch of cloth at hand and some stuffing like ptarmigan down to make the bedroll insulated and warm, but of course not better then the normal one, and it should tear or use faster, since all of the early game crafted pieces of gear tend to have that going on

Edited by K3V038
Grammar
  • Upvote 1

Bearskin bedrolls are already a thing- a bedroll you can craft for yourself if you can't find a bedroll. 

But if we want an improvised bedroll made from cloth- let's use components available to everyone- base game only, or DLC players.

Ptarmigans are only available to players who have the Tales From The Far Territory DLC, so the stuffing should be the more generic down from a (goose)down vest, or stuffing from harvested sport vests, pillows and the old bedrolls we come across. This would make it a thing all players could have the ability to craft.  instead of tying it to components only available to those who can afford to buy the DLC (not everyone can).The Improvised Down Bedroll is already DLC-locked, adding another DLC-locked item feels a bit unfair to players who don't want or can't afford the DLC. It should take a lot of time to make, and require 1 full sewing kit or full condition fishing tackle to sew.

Faster decay rate on use, harvesting results in a higher loss of components (you get less cloth back and the stuffing is wasted), and a lower warmth bonus that the regular bedroll.

It could be a nice option for Interloper or Misery Mode players to craft while waiting for the bear hides needed for a bearskin bedroll to cure, though it's not something I would be likely to bother making in Pilgrim, Voyageur, or Stalker- unless I am on a really really really long run and my regular bedroll(s) have all been shredded or decayed away.

Edited by ThePancakeLady
typonese, always typonese
  • Upvote 2

I wouldn't be against this, for the same reason the improvised gloves/hat exist, it's a bit of RNG mitigation for loper runs. I don't think it'd need a huge crafting requirement, just 10 cloth, several hours of craft time, for a weight inefficient, quickly decaying and barely insulating hunk of junk you can technically sleep on sounds fair to me.

I would be very against a craftable Prybar though. With a Forge, sure (though it'd be mostly pointless, you will have found one by then and you only really need one or two) but the point of the Prybar is to painfully lock off that juicy loot in the early game til you find one.

• Like 1