Base customization suggestion: Display case

I was just thinking, it would be nice, as a future base customization option, to have a bulletin board, shelf, or curio case where you could place non-gameplay items like

Spoiler

Rudiger's watch, the security chief's pass, and the gold nugget

Not a high priority, but it would be kind of cool to see these items there as tokens of your past adventurers.  They barely have any visibility in the game (except for the nugget).

• Upvote 5
  • Like 1

Eh, I'm not sure we need fully dedicated display cases like a Skyrim player home mod, but bulletin boards (which would pair especially well with photos) and shelves make perfect sense. IMO it's best to have multipurpose furnishings, then let people figure out how to do what they want with them, like display trophies, using those.

I also think if Hinterland push item placeability closer to how it works in Place Anywhere mods (obviously not quite as extreme), with the ability to stack items atop each other, pin things on walls and place items much closer together in general, that will go miles in making houses feel like homes. You could give any item you want a throne of cans!

Spoiler

Though, if we ARE doing fully dedicated showoff content for collectables, I propose the ability to use a furnace to melt down four gold nuggets into a 1kg gold ingot

• Upvote 1

Bulletin boards are kind of a dream of mine. I feel like it just fits really well into the Long Dark.
Honestly half the reasons I use mods are because of safehouse customizations. I like being able to make shelves for my trinkets. :)

• Upvote 2

On 7/3/2024 at 7:55 AM, MapleTaffy said:

Bulletin boards are kind of a dream of mine.

I thought the bulletin board was a natural fit.  It would be really handy if the polaroids you had successfully mapped were automatically posted there.  That way you'd know all the polaroids still in your inventory still needed to be mapped.

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2024 at 12:29 PM, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I was just thinking, it would be nice, as a future base customization option, to have a bulletin board, shelf, or curio case where you could place non-gameplay items like

The roadmap the "Tales From The Far Territory" expansion has "SAFEHOUSE CUSTOMIZATION" as a planned feature for "Part 6":

"Survive in relative comfort through a series of features and items that allow you to organize, optimize, and decorate your favourite interiors."

This patch is scheduled for release in 2024, though we don't have many details about what 'safehouse customization' means, or what features/items/etc may be included: but something along the lines to what you're describing seems planned to be implemented into TLD. It's also worth mentioning that "CAMERA & DARK ROOM" are also a planned feature for this patch as well. "A Photo Mode for THE LONG DARK, but contextualized with an in-game camera and Dark Room chemicals so that you can process your own film.".