100 Days Survived - Misery Mode!

Mishka

Video attached as proof!

Wasn't expecting to get so far on my first run of the mode, but it was fun to deal with all the new afflictions... especially broken body. No regens at all (except ranger stews which are probably unintended, only was able to make 2 for 10%~ each) is very harsh & ultimately makes the late game harder than NOGOA! Rheumatic joints deserves a mention also, you don't realize how much you sprint around until you can't.

The cold is VERY very punishing before you get your bear coats crafted, after that it starts to become a lot more manageable, without needing teas quite as much to move around.

Had a very close call early on into the run with a bear mauling that left me only a couple days before broken body popped up, so I was limited to around 60% condition for most of the run after.

Most fun I've had in a while. I'll definitely be continuing the save on for at least a little while longer before I die or the cougar takes me haha!

(Oh & PS; would love to see random Misery spawns!!)

Edited by Mishka
Extra info
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 3

Having maximum temperature decay right away would be an interesting option for custom mode. Really changes the game when a few items of clothing aren't enough to make houses warm.

• Upvote 3

Wow, very impressive even with the TFTFT condition restore bug (?), twice as far as I've managed to make it! I honestly didn't expect this to be possible to take it so long, especially so soon after release! When I first read you made it 100 days, I assumed you meant the initial patch when Stage 5 (Broken Body) was glitched and couldn't manifest.

Would you mind explaining which route you took, and possibly some highlights like where you found hammer/hacksaw/bedroll?

I agree, hoping that we get "5 Stages of Misery" as a toggle for custom sandbox, that would allow random spawns w/ the afflictions! Hopefully also an "affliction toggle" for Sandbox too, so we could try e.g. to try a sandbox with all 6 afflictions active from gamestart (or trying to survive with other afflictions, like with broken ribs/etc).

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Veskaida said:

Wow, very impressive even with the TFTFT condition restore bug (?), twice as far as I've managed to make it! I honestly didn't expect this to be possible to take it so long, especially so soon after release! When I first read you made it 100 days, I assumed you meant the initial patch when Stage 5 (Broken Body) was glitched and couldn't manifest.

Would you mind explaining which route you took, and possibly some highlights like where you found hammer/hacksaw/bedroll?

I agree, hoping that we get "5 Stages of Misery" as a toggle for custom sandbox, that would allow random spawns w/ the afflictions! Hopefully also an "affliction toggle" for Sandbox too, so we could try e.g. to try a sandbox with all 6 afflictions active from gamestart (or trying to survive with other afflictions, like with broken ribs/etc).

Thank you! Yeah, I'm glad broken body didnt' bug out on me... was worried when it didn't show in my status screen after stage 5 day 47/48 but it did a few hours later 😅

Route I took after spawning was immediately to the plane looting clothing & then a few other locations like Skeeter's basement, hunting blind, prepper's & Misty Falls (stocking up on as much coal & teas as possible - found flask there). Climbed into TWM & straight into AC for the backpack, using the goat route up to Homesteader's around to the Gold Mine. After that left TWM & just looted the main POVs in PV (farm house, barn & signal hill) then cave to winding river & ML looting surrounding regions

Hammer I found in the boat by Mountaineer's Hut. Bedroll & hacksaw both PV, with the hacksaw not being found until after my forge run later at Bunkhouse. Lacking a bedroll was fine but no hacksaw up until then hurt. Had to haul a ton of metal & craft hatchet for saplings. Tools crafted day 15, bow around 30. Bearskins were made sometime after stage 5 but they made it muuuch easier to travel around dusk without needing as many teas... which with the cougar timer I had to do quite a few times basing out in BR, ML & CH over the course of my game

Had lots of fun in the mode though! Once I realized 100 days was in sight I started playing a lot more carefully with the long game in mind, but Misery does live well up to the name. Lost a lot of condition before realizing sprains also take condition damage... sneaky. Level 5 cooking doesn't prevent parasites or food poisoning so your food options are more limited as well

Edited by Mishka
  • Upvote 1

Based on your current playthrough/gear, do you think it's possible to survive indefinitely? e.g. in Coastal Highway, perhaps Misanthrope's or Jackrabbit Island, by beachcombing? I suppose even if that was possible, Sour Taste would likely periodically chip away at one's health each time it procced, even if you had medicine and were able to sleep immediately, till your Condition reached the minimum (10% I think)

Not indefinitely. I don't think the best NOGOA runners even manage more than a few hundred days at most, correct me if I'm wrong? Past stage 5 it essentially becomes a more restrictive version of that. Like you mentioned as well, unless you eat fresh meat only you're going to roll the increased chance of food poisoning which will chip away at overall health down to 15%, then a single mistake or a couple sprains & you're in critical condition

200 days I can see happening maybe, but not indefinite survival

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2024 at 11:13 AM, Mishka said:

Video attached as proof!

Wasn't expecting to get so far on my first run of the mode, but it was fun to deal with all the new afflictions... especially broken body. No regens at all (except ranger stews which are probably unintended, only was able to make 2 for 10%~ each) is very harsh & ultimately makes the late game harder than NOGOA! Rheumatic joints deserves a mention also, you don't realize how much you sprint around until you can't.

The cold is VERY very punishing before you get your bear coats crafted, after that it starts to become a lot more manageable, without needing teas quite as much to move around.

Had a very close call early on into the run with a bear mauling that left me only a couple days before broken body popped up, so I was limited to around 60% condition for most of the run after.

Most fun I've had in a while. I'll definitely be continuing the save on for at least a little while longer before I die or the cougar takes me haha!

(Oh & PS; would love to see random Misery spawns!!)

A question - how come it says condition 33 pct. on day 71 and up to 49 pct. on day 81 - I thought one could not heal with broken body?

Did you find a way around it? Stim maybe?

Congrats on the feat!

Edited by Looper
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Looper said:

A question - how come it says condition 33 pct. on day 71 and up to 49 pct. on day 81 - I thought one could not heal with broken body?

Did you find a way around it? Stim maybe?

Congrats on the feat!

On 6/28/2024 at 10:13 AM, Mishka said:

No regens at all (except ranger stews which are probably unintended, only was able to make 2 for 10%~ each)

Any recipe that gives the max condition buff currently restores 10% even with broken body. Definitely gonna be patched out soon if anything because it gives TFTFT owners an unfair advantage, but I would have made it to 100 without as I'd still be above critical with the two I exploited tested :3

Stims don't heal either btw! If anything, I think they probably do more harm than good from the resulting exhaustion unless you can sleep immediately

Edited by Mishka

On 6/29/2024 at 5:35 PM, Mishka said:

Not indefinitely. I don't think the best NOGOA runners even manage more than a few hundred days at most

It depends which variant of NOGOA/DMC you mean, on variants where food is truly limited (no beachcombing allowed, fish disabled, living wildlife disabled) then yes. You 'will' die eventually, even if you're running a TAS with perfect inputs: it's just a matter of time.

As long as there is some food source, then it is possible to survive indefinitely in theory. There was/still is (far as I'm aware) an exploit (feature?) with Well Fed if the survivor is at critically low Condition (below 10%, where your character begins wobbling), which allows for small amounts of condition gain (until Condition is no longer critical). This is/was caused by how the +5% Condition for the Well Fed bonus was applied.

Broken Body seems to use custom code which is different from Custom Sandbox > Health > Condition Recovery Rate > None, that looks like it 'should' disable all kinds of Condition healing (where as that Custom setting only seems to disable awake healing/sleep healing/rest bonus). Bugs aside, assuming you could theoretically survive forever in Misery, eventually small mistakes will chip away at Condition and the game would likely become unplayable at sub-10% Condition.

20 hours ago, Mishka said:

Any recipe that gives the max condition buff currently restores 10% even with broken body. Definitely gonna be patched out soon if anything because it gives TFTFT owners an unfair advantage, but I would have made it to 100 without as I'd still be above critical with the two I exploited tested :3

Ah 😁 makes sense. Didnt see or notice that part. 

Huge respect man.:fire: I hated this Experience Mode with every bit of emotion I could. I even called it The five stages of cancer xD Thats how painful it was for me. I just wrapped it up after day 50. I dont like it - back to my loper :D