As the Dead Sleep Challenge

In between episodes of Wintermute, I usually take a break, so it’s been a while since I’ve played. I just started back two days ago and noticed I still haven’t completed as the dead sleep or the darkwalker challenges. I should’ve started with an easier survival mode because I’m really struggling to make it out of bleak inlet. 

I planned out a route to take in advance and the next place I plan to go is Forlorn Muskeg then BR, but I’m dying before I can even make it halfway there. I really don’t remember this challenge being this difficult!

For anyone who’s actually completed this challenge, what am I missing? Why is it so difficult now?? I really wanted to get it completed before the cougar came in to play!

Are you taking your time and searching every place before moving on or rushing through to get to the next map? I’ve tried both running through and taking my time but I still can’t find enough food so I end up starving and freezing and/or dying from a wolf attack. Any tips for completing this challenge?

Step 1 of ATDS is to exit bleak inlet as rapidly as possible. You cannot recover condition with sleep, so minimizing condition loss is essential. Hurry to the workers cabin and warm up. Put any clothes on you find and maybe harvest some curtains for cloth. Repairing clothes is low priority so wait until you are forced to stop for another reason. Once you're warmed up, grab the coal on the ground near there on your way to next shelter. This is probably the container on the bridge if you have the ability to make fire. If so, you can pause here to warm up with a coal fire. If not, speed is your friend and you run to the washed out trailers. Warm up. Book it to the FM cave. This is not an easy challenge and it took me several tries. Sometimes you just get shafted with the weather/TWs in BI and it doesn't matter what you do. Best condition I ever got out of BI with was around 80% with several attempts. Best of luck

I'd suggest going up the secret path and goating down towards the exit.. I always use that way to leave ,it offers more wind cover and of course no chance of falling through the ice..

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Be careful planning on the secret path. The last time I did ATDS challenge maybe a year ago they had patched out the ability to scoot around the brush and you would need a hatchet and time freezing to clear it. Or I just couldn't find it again. Let me know if you try it and it works because one run I tried to repeat it and died of hypothermia without finding it again. After that I just took the way out I described.

Posted (edited)

Hi, I just gave it a try and the passage was still possible. Go in on the right hand side and change to the left after passing half the scrub. I even found a snowshelter on my way. And even if it took You too long, restarting at this point is no big deal, as You just had about 2 minutes into the challenge.

Edited by mfuegemann
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I'd suggest going up the secret path and goating down towards the exit.. I always use that way to leave ,it offers more wind cover and of course no chance of falling through the ice..

I tried the secret path (it worked) and I def like it better. I can get out of Bleak Inlet in less than a days time if I go this way, but I’m not really sure where to go down the mountain from this way. I tried to go down at the fallen tree and fell when a blizzard came because I panicked. I despise BI 🤣

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tonya1026 said:

I tried the secret path (it worked) and I def like it better. I can get out of Bleak Inlet in less than a days time if I go this way, but I’m not really sure where to go down the mountain from this way. I tried to go down at the fallen tree and fell when a blizzard came because I panicked. I despise BI 🤣

Bleaks definitely an acquired taste lol...      I used to go down right next to the tree but I tried goating down a snowy bit with an upright tree near the bottom and it's not as steep as it looks..  

Good luck with the challenge 😊

I recommend stopping in at the cannery workers residence and sleep 1 hour to warm up, and I usually go to the cannery next and loot as much as possible.  Key points that helped me most is find matches/flares early, and any fire you start get multiple torches from it for later.  If you can get enough to make it to the cave, even better.  Secondly, ALWAYS MAKE TEA/COFFEE and keep the warmth bonus.  I would also stop and make a fire with a lit torch to warm back up again.  
It’s the freezing that kills you before anything else, so plan your route accordingly to stay sheltered/cook canned food for the warmth bonus.  

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Remember to pick up any coal that is lying around the leftmost cannery worker residence ruin. 
And the cattails at the pond there are also good for food and tinder.

Edited by mfuegemann
  • Upvote 1