Scurvy.. Clinical trails, Japanese way to treat scurvy, take full control.

After i collected some avaiable data and stories + my personal interloper experience.. 

Concept was born.. (still need full clinical tests) 

For long inerloper runs

Scurvy timer= avarage dose vit c for the last 20 days. 20 vit c units per day on interloper is required. 

If not enough vit c was consumed, scurvy risk apear and you have approximately 5 days to develop scurvy. 

20+5=25 days. 

Similar to matches and fire starting policy: In the early interloper stage when you stil exploring, visiting all maps and complete buried echoes, everyone should feel free to use avaiable man made food, experiment and beat scurvy risk your own way. 

But you will have no full control because of that last 20 days avarage vit c consumption factor. 

You need full control. So take scurvy in "controlled condition" and enjoy 20 days scurvy free. When scurvy risk strike, you will know that you have 5 days to go to the nearest fishing hut for treatment. After early interloper stage you should have supplies of fish around fisihing huts waiting for scurvy treatment. 

You can do this Japanese way- sushi (raw fish have more vit c) or traditional cooked fish(with additional oil). Dealing with food poisoning shouldnt be problem already for you. 

So you take scurvy under control: waiting and fishing in hot fishing hut with plenty of fish around. 

Wait for scurvy.. 

Heal instantly.. 

Enjoy next 20 day free from scurvy circle. 

Treat scurvy risk like a" reminder from you doctor " and head for the nearest, prepered fish hut for treatment. 

This all hassle is because of your mental health. Remember that uncontrolled scurvy is your worst enemy. Its a endless fight with scurvy risk,and  because it is that "avarage last 20 days, 20 unit per day minimum vit c dose" mechanism you will have constant scurvy risk which can lead to your (non game) insanity, or you risk need to treat scurvy in unpredictable, not under your full control moment. 

All that advise is still during test stage. Help with reaserch, share your story. 

Its dedicated for long interloper cave man's. Thats why i mention raw fishes because of that ultra late "mag lens fire only" times. 

Scurvy data was taken from famdom wiki. Just google if you are intrested in all that vit c dose stats etc. 

Ps. No native english speaker, so sorry, anyway maybe someone found that intresting :)

Scurvy_icon.png

• Upvote 3

Since i got back from my holiday i started a new loper run to check scurvy out bcoz i was mad at the fact that it was not implemented in old saves. 

The purpouse of this run was to see what scurvy is and how difficult is to keep it at bay. 

I decided i will not consume human food, not pick up rosehips, reishi. Only birch and cattails (on the start). Around day 30 i got back from Ash Canyon Gold mine with backpack and summit with the loot to my main base in ML camp office. I stayed there and crafted clothes till about day 50. Around day 60 scurvy first kicked in. I ate some cattails and it was gone but the next day i woke up it came back again with 8 % risk. I decided to read one fishing book to get lvl 2 and went to fishing cabin to fish a bit. I was able to catch a few of the whites and a few of bass and it took me ~30 hours in game (i fish only with normal fishing tackle - dont use bait or better lures - from my experience fishing you catch more with just normal tackle). So when i was fishing i was eating fish and the rest i brought back to ML camp office enterance and stored it there. After that i went to FA to start the tale. I stayed in Broken rairoad for about a week and a week in FA - when i was going back to main base scrurvy risk came. Again i got back to ML camp office - cooked some bass and some whites, ate them for two days and went exploring BI. Every time i do this i can be safe from scurvy for about 2 ingame weeks - if i eat fish in the meantime the timeline streches. 

My run is currently 230 days long. I have looted all regions thoroughly except - ZOC havent been there yet and HRV  i have looted only a small part for the cooking recipe and prepper bunker. 

Found all cooking recpies, found spelunken lantern, Found 7 insulated flasks, done Signal Void, Made one huge main base in ML camp office and secondary base in Coastal Highway Jackrabbit Island - both loaded. 

Every now and then - if i feel like it or a blizzard hits i go to a fishing hut to fish some and drink a beer in the process. I stay there for 3 days and night sometimes more and catch fish. Later i use the travois to take the catch to my base/ or where i really want it but usually my meat supply outside of the base. I tend to have every meat kind always at my base. 

So imho the scurvy thing is a nice addition to the game changing strategy a bit but it is very very easily contained and cured if must. I have yet to discover what it does if untreated but i will come to that eventually. Also i dont think that rosehips tea or any tea that has vit C is a good way to counter scurvy - its just not enough weight/callories. To be able to combat scurvy you would have to drink several teas every day i think. Pain. 

Other observations :

Fish types - the amount of vit C in them vary. At first i thought that cooked fish looses some of vit C in the process but yesterday i made some science and its not the case. The case is - the longer cooked fish stays and looses condition in time it will go from for ex. Moderate vit C to Minor vit C - i have still to check if uncooked fish loose vit C potency as well as they decay. 

Also sometimes same type of fish will have Moderate vit C and other Minor vit C ..... strange. 

I also think that it doesnt count as one unit of vit C consumed with one fish - like Moderate vit C fish and Minor Vit C fish after eating will give one unit of moderate or one unit of minor. I think it depends on the weight of the fish. So its better to consume 5kgs of moderate vit C fish than 2x 1,5 kg of moderate vit C fish. 

Last thing - New types of fish doesnt seem to have vit C in it or maybe it just does not show - i will have to w8 for scurvy risk and then cook some of the new types to see if it works as well. 

Scurvy seems very easy to handle. I play aware of it, consume some extra birch tea here and there for extra vitamins, not too much focused, but with preparation to deal with it if necessary. My Day 303 Interloper got the risk for the first time today, after mapping DP => PV => TWM => AC with only 2 or 3 fishes. I brought a Thomson stew, 2 potatos and 2 thermos, 1 with birch tea, 1 with rosehip tea for prep. The Stew, a potato and a Rosehip tea cleared the risk already.

Not too much of a concern, even on interloper.

• Upvote 1