Travois and spoiled food

twosheds

Good day everyone. At this time, the carrier cannot be used to transport spoiled meat, fish and canned food. Will there be a feature added in the future to prevent spoiled food from disappearing into containers or from completely spoiling?
Thank you. I love your game. Happy New Year and Merry Christmas everyone.
(I apologize if I wrote something incorrectly - this is machine translation.) 
autor of the video HIDDENfun

travois1.jpg

travois2.jpg

Edited by twosheds
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I hope not.  It's at least one incentive to not hunt excessively to stockpile large supplies of meat, cook it to get to Level 5 quickly, and then let it spoil.  At least now it can't be moved easily via the travois.

Let's imagine a situation in the game - you wounded a bear, it ran away and died far from your base. You found it, cut it up, but you can't take the meat away. A lot of time has passed, the meat has spoiled. Now, with the release update, a new item appears that allows you to do this - transport meat, but you cannot do this for known reasons.
Another situation - you are walking along the coastline, collecting loot, among the loot you also come across fish, it is always spoiled and you cannot take it away. You have a carrier, but you can't)
I think this loses all meaning. 

Edited by twosheds
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, twosheds said:

Let's imagine a situation in the game - you wounded a bear, it ran away and died far from your base. You found it, cut it up, but you can't take the meat away. A lot of time has passed, the meat has spoiled. Now, with the release update, a new item appears that allows you to do this - transport meat, but you cannot do this for known reasons.
Another situation - you are walking along the coastline, collecting loot, among the loot you also come across fish, it is always spoiled and you cannot take it away. You have a carrier, but you can't)
I think this loses all meaning. 

You can still transport it in your own inventory - just not in the amounts the travois carries, can't you?

1 hour ago, twosheds said:

I understood you

Losses as you describe are unfortunate, but they happen and part of the game is trying to prevent such losses.  For me, that means mostly only hunting what I need and being diligent about finding kills as quickly as is reasonably possible.  Yeah, I do lose the occasional quarter bag (which will disappear rather than appear as "ruined", but I don't "waste" a ton of it that way.

I don't rush to Level 5 cooking, which means I'm at risk for food poisoning whenever my mean condition gets low and it means I can't eat it at all if it's ruined.  Currently, the only way I can get this very low condition or spoiled meat out of my world (so I don't accidentally eat it) is by deliberately transferring it to a container.  This also applies to other ruined food and items (like sewing kits)  If you make it so they don't disappear, then that ability also totally disappears and the world eventually gets cluttered with ruined items. 

It's easy enough to handle it as always in the past - avoid putting ruined meat (and other ruined items) into containers if we feel we might want to use or eat them someday.  The travois doesn't change that.

Op makes a good point.

It might sound a little silly to be eating spoiled meat and trucking it across the map, but it also makes little sense that the meat I stored outside has somehow gone bad despite the fact that it literally never goes above freezing and drops to -40 degrees every night.

I don't have any problem with the travois transporting spoiled meat, if spoiled meat is going to be a part of the game and designed to be edible.

• Upvote 2

The problem, in all honesty, is a bit more complicated.

Technically the travois is a container like any other container. Like any other container once you put in stuff for which there is no futher need (like 0% sewing kits) it gets "recycled" into the nether, never to clog up the world again. HL could have changed this regarding meat ages ago. They didn't. Because, I assume, they don't want to.

So, in essence, this is yet another issue of the age old discussion of whether or not spoiled meat should persist in containers or should be removed from the world outright, so I do not assume this is going to change in any shape or form. Yes, it would be more "consistent" if either was the case, but probably for reasons of not fixing "bugs" players have come to rely upon it's going to remain in this weird kind of limbo. It's the same with the fact that you cannot eat spoiled meat from the radial menu, but you have to actually access the inventory. I'm rather confident that this is being left in the game to not upset long standing players while at the same time choosing to not further promoting this.

This is compounded by the fact there apparently is no infrastructure in place to actually check if an item placed in the scene (a house, the outside, all of those are scenes) has decayed to 0% and hence should be discarded. This probably is due to the fact that this would request frequent checks of these entities, which could end up being hard on computational powerhouses like the Jaguar Consoles (PS4, xbox .... uh... the one before the current one) or the Nintendo Switch, which effectively is a 2017 midrange smartphone CPU wise.

Long story short: Not gonna happen.

Buuuuut..... if something were to happen it would be the right gameplay choice to

a) prolong the time meat (and food in general) stored outside, i.e. being frozen, keeps be a factor of..... a lot. Like 5. Seriously. Or maybe 10.
b) remove spoiled meat from the game the moment it get's spoiled (all spoiled food for that matter), whether it's outside, inside, in a container, in your backpack, no exceptions.
c) remove the Cooking 5 bonus that makes you immune to food poisoning. It's outright OP.

But..... still not gonna happen.

Edited by Stuffed Plush Chainsaw
  • Upvote 3

The only way I can see them fixing this is if they can somehow make the travios code completely independent from other containers' so nothing else gets affected.  This may not be that easy or doable in general.  Course I may be wrong as I'm no coder/dev.

48 minutes ago, rush247 said:

The only way I can see them fixing this is if they can somehow make the travios code completely independent from other containers' so nothing else gets affected.  This may not be that easy or doable in general.  Course I may be wrong as I'm no coder/dev.

Sure it's possible. Point is: they don't want to.