Mistakes and ideas for TLD.

alarik

Hi, i am new here but a old player playing always in intrude mode with +2000 days.

I have seen several mistakes agaisnt the realism in this game, and the company should change them.

1) The rabbits are too much easy for hunt them. People, someone of this company have been in the field in their lifes? To hunt a rabbit with 1 stone is IMPOSSIBLE, the animal will run and a lot before you can be close to it. Delete that idiot option in the game cause that is not realistic.

2) When a wolf hunts other animal, the wolf always run away if you threaten it with 1 weapon or 1 stone. It can be 1 option, but not always the same... to get food of this way is very easy... come on. The company should fix this changing it and setting other options (% chance wolf atack, % chance wolf run).

3) When you are making fire and the air change the direcction and off the fire, you loose all the wood. This is not realistic, yes the fire can be off but come on.. the wood not burned should be here still!!

4) the frozen food outside on the snow, should not break down so fast. Come on it is frozen!!. 

5) The liquid water outside should be frozen again in a bit hours...

6) the animals should can steal the food outside with out protecction.

7) The wolfs could come back to the dead animals where they run previosly by your threat.

8 You should can to drink cold liquid water or snow in the montain, and it is pure omg, yes it is cold and it will down your temperature.. but you can make this in emergency and not die by thirst.

I know the company will kick my ass and my words, but well, here is my opinion.

Goodbye from Spain.

The game isn't really intended to be realistic.  The very premise that auroras drive the animals crazy is not realistic nor is the premise that auroras can suddenly power flashlight batteries that have been long dead.

Realistically, the water pipes in the houses would have all frozen and burst.  Every soda can and any tin cans with anything liquid in them would have also frozen and ruptured. 

Re-melting water every hour or so would be a big annoyance that would not add anything to the gameplay, IMO.  As would having animals steal every scrap of food left outdoors.

Wolf fear is different at different difficulty settings and is also adjustable in the custom settings, as is their detection range.  Of course, the range covered by these sliders could be expanded to provide even harder settings if the player desires to use them.

• Upvote 2

On 10/27/2023 at 2:29 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

The game isn't really intended to be realistic.  The very premise that auroras drive the animals crazy is not realistic nor is the premise that auroras can suddenly power flashlight batteries that have been long dead.

Realistically, the water pipes in the houses would have all frozen and burst.  Every soda can and any tin cans with anything liquid in them would have also frozen and ruptured. 

Re-melting water every hour or so would be a big annoyance that would not add anything to the gameplay, IMO.  As would having animals steal every scrap of food left outdoors.

Wolf fear is different at different difficulty settings and is also adjustable in the custom settings, as is their detection range.  Of course, the range covered by these sliders could be expanded to provide even harder settings if the player desires to use them.

There are fantastic things like you are writting, and it is ok cause it has sense, but this game trys to be realisctic. Omg.. to hunt rabbits with stones so easy? The rabbits are not assholes, 1 rabbit will run away from you for minimum 100 meters when it see or listen you. Come on go out to field and look them.

The left water on the snow, should be frozen. No the water that you take with you in your clothes. And the same with left food on the field with the wolfs.

i play intrude mode always, and the wolfs run always when you atack them with one stone if they are eating other animal... always. So too much easy to steal food to the wolfs. 

1 hour ago, alarik said:

There are fantastic things like you are writting, and it is ok cause it has sense, but this game trys to be realisctic. Omg.. to hunt rabbits with stones so easy? The rabbits are not assholes, 1 rabbit will run away from you for minimum 100 meters when it see or listen you. Come on go out to field and look them.

The left water on the snow, should be frozen. No the water that you take with you in your clothes. And the same with left food on the field with the wolfs.

i play intrude mode always, and the wolfs run always when you atack them with one stone if they are eating other animal... always. So too much easy to steal food to the wolfs. 

It doesn't really try to be realistic, period - If it did, we'd be able to lift turned over chairs into their proper position.  We'd be able to lie down on a sofa to sleep.  We'd be able to fell trees.  We'd be able to drag logs and carcasses back to a base.  We'd be able to hacksaw ALL the bed frames in the Hunting Lodge rather than just the occasional one elsewhere in the world.  We'd be able to read in bed.  We'd get more than 1 scrap metal when breaking up a bucket and more than 11 kg off a dead deer, etc. etc. etc.  A pilot in the north in Canada would have matches and survival gear aboard his plane (since it is a law in Canada).  So, no - I disagree with you.  The game does not really focus on being realistic.

It's a game and some things are done for game convenience/balance - like water that doesn't freeze.

As far as animal behaviour - it is adjustable in the custom settings.  Nothing says you have to play on a standard mode.  Try increasing the detection range and the rabbits will sense you from farther away.  Try decreasing wolf fear and there will be a higher chance that they will attack you rather than run from you.  However, if you play on "passive animals" setting, all animals on the map, even bears, will 99% of the time run from you all the time since that "passive animals" setting overrides the wolf fear one.  However, if you get close and you attack them, they can still attack you even when on passive mode.  I've been attacked while playing in standard pilgrim mode (which uses the passive setting).

I don't know which difficulty "intrude" is - pilgrim, voyageur, stalker, or interloper.  If it's interloper and you're finding it too easy - try NOGOA or NOPE (community derived custom settings that are's harder than interloper overall).  The codes for them are probably found somewhere on this website.

12 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Also another thiing we'd be able to do if the game were trying to be realistic is jump over obstacles or at least step over the shorter ones (like the parking curbs around the gas station next to Thomson's Crossing in Pleasant Valley.😀

Omg, lol, yes.  Let me step over the darn branch!

Nah, but seriously, the game is pretty balanced, although I agree that hunting rabbits with stones is a little to easy and that stealing wolves food is also too easy.  I think it would be interesting and more challenging if wolves or bears could eat your meat left outside.  In fact, I had assumed this was the case when I first played and was confused when I accedently left meat outside after cooking by a campfire and it was still there.

If that were the standard though, it would be very difficult, but maybe as another setting or included in wolf fear or something.  Having a chance that a wolf will eat your left out meat is a good idea.

If hunting rabbits with stones became impossable then it would be a LOT more difficult.  That means no rabbit until you have cured gut to make a bow or snare with.  Where will you get the gut if it's not from a rabbit?  I guess rotting deer carcasses, but still.  Maybe on the max animal detection range, or have a setting like "Passive Wildlife" except called "Fearful Rabbits" or something.

I'm pretty sure that when 'wolf fear' is set to 'none' wolves will not leave there meat and instead will come after you, but I do think that on 'low' they should not be threatened by a stone.  In fact, whatever it takes to scare them off normally should be required to scare them from there food, maybe with a chance of them attacking you instead of leaving they're hard earned meal.  (i.e. a lit torch and a weapon on stalker or interloper)

I entirely disagree with the water freezing, but I still don't understand why the water in the toilets is safe to drink, lol.

you may want to look at that screen saying DISCLAIMER on top every time you open the game, and read it. it is a few lines only. it pretty clearly explains what the developers' standpoint is on realism vs letting the player have to make choices. and if that is not clear enough, where that standpoint comes from, you could also give a try googling "Sid Meier Interesting Decisions".

• Upvote 1