Clothing slots and effectiveness

piddy3825

Been playing the game for a long time now and just recently got to thinking about whether or not the various clothing slots have any impact on my characters stats other
than the way I look when I wear them?

For example, I have two coats, one is a windbreaker and the other is a mackinaw jacket.  Does it really matter which one is worn on the inner slot vs the outer slot?  I always 
thought that it didn't matter but lately I've started to wonder if perhaps there is some subtle difference that I've overlooked?  

I dunno, am I just overthinking this or does slot selection really make a difference?  

As I understand it, yes, it does make a difference : the external layer is about wind, water, and heat, when the internal layer is concerning heat only. This is true until the external layer is completely frozen : at that moment, the internal layer is also taken into account against water.

I'm not sure this goes on for the secondary layer of upper clothes (sweaters, shirts, etc...) but if you want to make sure this follows the same rule, it's quite easy to test it : stay outside during a snowfall and each layer should become wet one after the other...

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

That is beacuse of the pilgrim settings. 

Maybe but my gear still takes a battering...  the crampons have only gone down 1% once and that's after a lot of wear and tear,plus risky high drops. 

If @piddy3825 can survive with the gear he's wearing now then he's either on a lower difficulty or one heck of a tough dude😊

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Maybe but my gear still takes a battering...  the crampons have only gone down 1% once and that's after a lot of wear and tear,plus risky high drops. 

If @piddy3825 can survive with the gear he's wearing now then he's either on a lower difficulty or one heck of a tough dude😊

I was merely using those items as an example.

and yes, I am one tough dude.  I mostly just play naked...

Edited by piddy3825
spelling
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Its the same on Loper. Crampons (the ones found at AC gold mine) are almost indestructible. On my 1300 loper run i never ever had to repair them once. They were on 93 % if i recall and i had them on 90% of the run.

12 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

For example, I have two coats, one is a windbreaker and the other is a mackinaw jacket.  Does it really matter which one is worn on the inner slot vs the outer slot?

The Windproof attribute is only "actively" factored in if it's the layer exposed to the elements.  If you are wearing something over it... then the windproof attribute is not added from those "under layers."

The Windproof bonus provided by clothing protects against the additional heat loss experienced by the player due to windchill. Even when your gear's warmth rating is higher than the environmental temperature, when its windproof rating is lower than the windchill, you will lose heat.

Only the outermost layer of clothing contributes to the player's windproof bonus, which severely limits how much you can stack it. There are only 6 clothing slots that count towards the Windproof rating. These are: Head (1st slot), Outer Torso (1st slot), Outer Legs (2nd slot), Hands, Outer Feet (boots), and Outer Accessory (2nd slot). This means inner hats, 2nd jacket, sweaters & shirts, 2nd pants, inner pants, and socks do not add to the windproof rating when fully geared, even if they have a Windproof score. Their windproof score only applies when no outer layer is worn over them.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
For more information:
Clothing | The Long Dark Wiki | Fandom

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

The Windproof attribute is only "actively" factored in if it's the layer exposed to the elements.  If you are wearing something over it... then the windproof attribute is not added from those "under layers."

:coffee::fire::coffee:
For more information:
Clothing | The Long Dark Wiki | Fandom

Thanks, Manic, 

If there's anyone I trust to give me an accurate answer it's you!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

lol, You would not believe how immersive game play is when you are really cold!  When it's windy you know it! 

Lol...  I'd be more worried about frostbite than wind chill.....

Our winters usually only get down to -7c   so it's not that much of an issue

• Upvote 1