Living in Milton Basin

Nalliah

Looking for some Pilgrim level thrills, and a bit bored of Mountain Town and civilization, I went into Milton Basin (which is beautiful) to live by fishing and catching rabbits. You can make a fishing hole on the ice in the lake. Well, I got there to find, no bedroll. Not sure how I did that, but I set up a snow shelter and managed that way. Even at Pilgrim level, it was harsh to live there. I got very cold ice fishing on some days and nearly froze to death. Rabbit snaring was erratic, despite snaring in a rabbit grove by the Hermit Cabin. My clothing was permanently wet or frozen. After a few days like this, I went back up the ropes to an easier life.  But I am sure in a few days I will be back there to give it another go, perhaps this time living in the cave and making sure I have a bedroll!

• Upvote 2

On 8/15/2023 at 11:55 AM, Nalliah said:

Looking for some Pilgrim level thrills, and a bit bored of Mountain Town and civilization, I went into Milton Basin (which is beautiful) to live by fishing and catching rabbits. You can make a fishing hole on the ice in the lake. Well, I got there to find, no bedroll. Not sure how I did that, but I set up a snow shelter and managed that way. Even at Pilgrim level, it was harsh to live there. I got very cold ice fishing on some days and nearly froze to death. Rabbit snaring was erratic, despite snaring in a rabbit grove by the Hermit Cabin. My clothing was permanently wet or frozen. After a few days like this, I went back up the ropes to an easier life.  But I am sure in a few days I will be back there to give it another go, perhaps this time living in the cave and making sure I have a bedroll!

Milton basin is a wonderful respite from Milton and FM. The cave you're speaking of has kept me toasty and warm through a few blizzards. Going to the top of rocky refuge for sunrise can be one of the best views in game.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the sunrise tip! Sure is beautiful in that part of the Basin! Milton Basin is a nice area for a Pilgrim player like me who wants some very manageable outdoor living challenges. Turns out the fishing in the Basin is OK! And cave living with a bedroll very do-able!  I have tip toed into the Forlorn Muskeg, but it looks grim and like there is not much to see or do that would be different than the Basin.

Yes, I made a snow shelter there the first time I went down to spend some days. This time I am living in the cave which actually seems to be warmer living. The Hermit's Cabin is one of my favourite places in the whole of the game. I am hoping to hit Fishing Level 3 before climbing out for awhile. The fishing in Milton Basin is actually pretty good on spots just outside of the shore near the cave.

Maybe its just coincidence, but fishing seems nearly certain to trigger blizzards!

Edited by Nalliah
  • Upvote 2

And one of those post-fishing blizzards nearly got me.  Lots of falling down hills and spraining things, finally managed to get to the cave. Now warming up with a nice coal-fuelled fire. The cave seems to produce about 3 chunks of coal per week.

On 8/19/2023 at 4:48 AM, Nalliah said:

Thanks for the sunrise tip! Sure is beautiful in that part of the Basin! Milton Basin is a nice area for a Pilgrim player like me who wants some very manageable outdoor living challenges. Turns out the fishing in the Basin is OK! And cave living with a bedroll very do-able!  I have tip toed into the Forlorn Muskeg, but it looks grim and like there is not much to see or do that would be different than the Basin.

Forlorn Muskeg is like coffee, an acquired taste. But, once you get used to is it really is a place of great beauty. There’s a transition cave that makes a really solid shelter, and of course a forge which is wonderful because the shelter won’t bring on cabin fever. The wolves by the forge can suck, idk if it’s just me, but it seems like there’s more wolves by the forge since the update. But, SPOLIER, you can shoot them through the cracks in wall, though I never seem to be able to recover my arrows when I do that. Anyway, overall, it is a great place! I even spent days just sleeping next to a rock the signal transmitter.