Just Started “Tales”

I’m still trying to understand this iteration. I made it to the airfield etc, repaired the transmission tower there, found the direction finder and ventured out one evening and the beeping climaxed in a snowy field but nothing was there as I was standing over the rapid beep.  I play with Xbox and I see there are more episodes, but they’re not available for me.  What’s the purpose of this iteration? Only the scant Airfield is available. Can I do something in Survivor mode?

There are two modes to the radio. A yellow/orange one for finding caches with some items. That's what you were on. They can be a bit hard to see. You can ignore that if you want to.

The mode for finding bunkers is blue. But you are not going to get to the Airfield Bunker right away. 

You need to repair the other transmitters first. The objectives are shown in a tab in the journal. There is also a map of the transmitters there and what regions they cover. It really tells you what you need to do after each step, but you can pick the order yourself. There are 5 more transmitters and 4 bunkers. Two of the transmitters (in DP and Blackrock) are optional and only lead to caches. They also aren't listed in the quest. The rest have caches and bunkers.

See also:

https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Handheld_Shortwave_Radio