Frostbite Effects

FaT McMarlin

Besides losing permanent health I think frostbite should carry several side effects depending on what gets frozen. 

Feet: 10 percent permanent sprint loss

Hands: 10 percent longer crafting time

Head: 10 percent less heath recovery per hour of sleep. 

Phantom Pain: randomly when you come in from the cold to a warm location you experience 2 hours of phantom pain from lost body parts. Because frostbite took your fingers or toes you can't take pain medications to easy the pain.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 2

I think the devs might be a bit reluctant  to expand on the the kinds of detrimental effects getting frostbite would have in the game as is.  They would want to keep the vanilla game as playable as possible for the average player.  

Now if Custom Mode had some kind of "realism" setting so someone could choose to  opt-in and play with "enhanced" debuffs/effects, permanent or otherwise, and other changes to game play, like water kept outside will freeze and have to be thawed to be drunk for instance,  that would be something else though I don't think the devs would want to put out that much effort.   But who knows?

• Upvote 5

I don't know much about frostbite, but I assume that frostbitten hands and fingers are pretty trashed and would make use of a bow very difficult for an amateur with no adaptations (prosthetics, adapted bow, whatever), so still being able to use a bow has always been something I've suspended my disbelief about. It makes frostbite an affliction that's unrealistically easy to live with, but I'm very OK with that. I have no interest in that level of realism being in the game myself, I'm happy to note that it's unrealistic and still want it to be part of TLD.

These are always very interesting thought experiments, though! And the idea of a 'realism' mode is also pretty cool @UTC-10. Could be some interesting challenges in that!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I think that the devs have tried to minimize the actual effects to what a character can do in the game as much as possible especially permanent effects. 

The player still has to have the capacity to play the game be it run, walk, climb, carry weight, etc.  Being just a little bit more vulnerable to condition loss as that typically does not impact what a character can do might be the best "middle" ground they could come up with.

Once they delve into things like "how severe was the frostbite" they stand to get themselves into a lot of controversy because the difference, due to frostbite, for example, between being able to use a rifle or bow and not being able to use a rifle or bow simply because of frostbite of the hands on a permanent basis would be a game-breaker for most people (imo).  Implications of not being able to handle a rifle or bow might also then extend to not being able to climb a rope. 

I don't think they want to go there.  

• Upvote 2

I don't know if frostbite stacks for the same body part, but this would be great if it did. Maybe the first time you get frostbite it's only a loss of permanent health. After that, however, you lose even more health AND receive a permanent debuff. Sounds like a great idea to me. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

I think that the devs have tried to minimize the actual effects to what a character can do in the game as much as possible especially permanent effects. 

The player still has to have the capacity to play the game be it run, walk, climb, carry weight, etc.  Being just a little bit more vulnerable to condition loss as that typically does not impact what a character can do might be the best "middle" ground they could come up with.

Once they delve into things like "how severe was the frostbite" they stand to get themselves into a lot of controversy because the difference, due to frostbite, for example, between being able to use a rifle or bow and not being able to use a rifle or bow simply because of frostbite of the hands on a permanent basis would be a game-breaker for most people (imo).  Implications of not being able to handle a rifle or bow might also then extend to not being able to climb a rope. 

I don't think they want to go there.  

In my idea, there's no penalty for using a bow or rifle. Just longer crafting time for hands. 

10 hours ago, Stranzua said:

I don't know if frostbite stacks for the same body part, but this would be great if it did. Maybe the first time you get frostbite it's only a loss of permanent health. After that, however, you lose even more health AND receive a permanent debuff. Sounds like a great idea to me. 

I don't know how many players get the same body parts twice frostbitten, or if that's possible, but that's a better system. A second level of frostbite that dealt with limitations into dies give looper players a fighting chance, or just don't implement it into Interloper so it doesn't become impossible.

12 hours ago, A Big Red Dawg said:

Frostbite on head maybe your fov drops to 1/2?
(frostbitten eye?)

I don't know if you can get frostbite on your eyes. But I can see a stick or debris blown into your eyes navigating a blizzard.

18 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

I think the devs might be a bit reluctant  to expand on the the kinds of detrimental effects getting frostbite would have in the game as is.  They would want to keep the vanilla game as playable as possible for the average player.  

Now if Custom Mode had some kind of "realism" setting so someone could choose to  opt-in and play with "enhanced" debuffs/effects, permanent or otherwise, and other changes to game play, like water kept outside will freeze and have to be thawed to be drunk for instance,  that would be something else though I don't think the devs would want to put out that much effort.   But who knows?

The water idea is amazing lol. A custom settings would be sweet. I'd turn it all on. Having said that, I can draw my bow with 2 fingers and a hundred pounds draw weight. I'm not a professional hunter, I'm a medical courier. A simple basic bow wouldn't be hard at all if you're missing a few fingers.

I see how it might be a super hard to have players accept the new issues and I know the ideas not completely perfect, it's just an idea from someone who had no idea how to design or implement features in video games.

• Upvote 3

I know some people want an even harder difficulty than Interloper, so maybe adding permanent debuffs to every frostbite affliction could work for that. Plus, adding it as a custom setting wouldn be great.

Edited by Stranzua
  • Upvote 2