Cannot play offline anymore (Steam)

Asinine

I use Steam and I often play offline, but since the latest update, I get the "no crunch" screen, the "you might get triggered" screen, then I cannot get past the "this is not real life" screen. It boots up just fine when Steam is online.

Does anyone else have this issue? I can't seem to find anything here regarding it, but I had someone in a Discord server mention it. They linked me to a reddit post which seems a little aggressive, but I sorta agree.

Is this a new feature or a bug? Thanks.

Kernel: 6.1.35-1-lts
Resolution: 3440x1440, 1920x1080
WM: i3
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (12) @ 3.800GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 6700/6700 XT/6750 XT / 6800M/6850M XT
Memory: 9209MiB / 64211MiB 

1) This also applies to Mac, so I guess this is Steam-Specific.
2) If you switch to online while the screen is still shown "Loading" will magically resume.

Probably some data being synced with Steam that the game is waiting on without checking if steam is actually online. Easy to miss, but also easy to fix.

Can't imagine this being intentional, however it really would be interesting to know what kind of data the game exchanges at this moment. I would suspect, being the well-meaning unsuspecting citizen of Great Bear that I am, that the game tries to look up if something about the content the player owns might have changed.... trustno1.

I can confirm this, my sibling and I jave noticed this as well on Steam on Windows. I submitted a bug report about this already, but no response yet as of now.

Same workaround with Plush, I just run it online, but I would prefer to be able to launch it offline too since I usually play without internet.

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2023 at 5:44 PM, rush247 said:

Works for me since the recent patch, I'm on Win 10.  Even put my laptop in airplane to make sure there was no connection and it still worked.

I agree; I just tried and it works fine again.

Thanks for posting this!

15 minutes ago, Asinine said:

I agree; I just tried and it works fine again.

Thanks for posting this!

Though I just noticed that I swapped to Wintermute, and the game crashed. But, I swapped from loading a survival game in that instance. I started over, and it swapped to Wintermute just fine. Noting for posterity's sake...

• Upvote 1