Black Screen + Low Performance in Coastal Highway

Mystix

Hi there. I know some people had that problem a while back but I didn't see a solution anywhere.

I played my first 22 days in Mystery Lake and I decided to finally go to Coastal Highway. When I was still walking in the Ravine I noticed that my screen is going black while I'm aiming with the rifle. I release RMB and it all goes back to normal. I aim - back screen again. I thought this would go away but it didn't. A few minutes later I started exploring Coastal Highway and everything looked normal until a wolf spotted me and started charging. I aimed with the rifle and... black screen again. So I took out a flare but before I could light it the wolf attacked. That's when the screen went totally black no matter what I did. I fought the wolf off, screen still black but at least I could see the HUD. Cleaned my wound, put a bandage on... still black screen. When I open the in-game menu and the backpack the mouse moves really slow and everything I try to do happens with a big delay. When the menu is closed and I try to go somewhere I don't hear any footsteps while the ambient sound is still playing.

I tried restarting the game, restarting the PC, updating my graphic drivers, reinstalling the game, trying it windowed and full screen - none of that worked. I backed up my save, started a new game - it's all good. I bring back my saves and load the game - black screen.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU: Intel Core i5 - 3.40Ghz

RAM: 8GB

GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GT 620 - 2047MB

I know the configuration is not impressive but I play with low graphic quality and I never had any issues before.

Screenshots:

screen_18f46a90_ca0e_4d59_a5cd_48e9b197dbeb.png

screen_fdc5d565_d3d9_4dc1_8b61_5f9244812f2c.png

Yupp, I updated today. Still black screen and still can see the HUD only. 20 days in is not so much but I'd hate it to start from scratch again after scavenging the whole Mystery Lake area and walking 3 days to find the bunker. :cry:

Guest Alan Lawrance

I've been trying to track down this rare bug for months. Your debug log is a huge step to finding a solution, thank you!

If you could do one more thing, please provide your savegame files! You can send them to me: alan@hinterlandgames.com

They are located:

C:\Users\YOUR_PC_NAME\AppData\LocalLow\Hinterland\The Long Dark\save001

Just zip them up, as there may be a lot of files in there.

Guest Alan Lawrance

Your save did help a lot, thank you! You should be able to load your old save with the v.217 update too!

Archived