Cooking Discoveries - Share Thread! (May contain spoilers.)

I'm enjoying the new cooking addition so I thought I'd make a thread where we can share discoveries and tips. :fire::peaches:

So far, I've visited a few places that I already fully looted and discovered a TON of cooking ingredients (Voyager playthrough) spawned outside of containers and in the new vegetable cupboards. Tip: look in places that would normally have food, as well a cellars. The condition of the items is not great, but cooking with them gives me a new item of at least 50% condition, so very edible. :)

I like how the recipes are different based on cooking container. Forces you to make some tough choices. The skillet weighs the same as the pot despite boiling only half the amount of water. But it makes really good recipes.

Looks like the new recipes like the bannock are very efficient for weight vs calories.

I haven't found any recipes for the recycled can yet. I'm cooking level 3 so far.

I haven't found any use or recipe for the carrots other than eating them raw. Potatoes can be cooked into a nice warm baked potato.

Really enjoying this!

20230624191548_1.jpg

• Upvote 3

Some people expressed that they had to drop the skillet on the ground in order to place it on the cooking surface since it's not yet in the quick wheel.

You can actually choose 'place' on a cooking spot and select the skillet from there, without dropping it. Definitely works on a stove. I assume on a fire or barrel too though I haven't confirmed.

20230624190352_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Discovered that the peach pie- with the red headache down arrow icon on it, actually gives you a headache! I thought it would reduce headaches. Too much sugar! lol

The meat pies however it looks like they might temporarily increase your carry capacity? I haven't tested them out yet.

4 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Is Your forum avatar Commander Keen? I remeber playing that game on my first ever PC  -  daaamn. Such a nice time. Wish i could go back in time 30 years. 

Yes it is! :)  If you miss those old games you should check out DosBox. I was recently replaying these old games after setting it up on my pc. Man those old platformers were hard! lol

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sherri said:

Yes it is! :)  If you miss those old games you should check out DosBox. I was recently replaying these old games after setting it up on my pc. Man those old platformers were hard! lol

Great ! They were hard yes, i remember how i raged when i got killed or failed to jump somwhere. Good times. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I just was surprised that the Rabbit Pie seems to be smelly as well.  I was about to duck in in a Cave, hammered 3 in order to drop the Venison etc before sleeping, and to my surprise i dropped the rabbit pies as well. I planned to always carry at least 1 rabbit pie, for when its needed to climb a rope with a little extra weight and such situations. That was unexpected.

• 3 weeks later...

Im almost finished with relooting the world on my Interloper Astrid day 268 ands have a question. 

I have looted all of the Bleak inlet and found only one ingredient in the watch tower - Flour. The only region i havent been in is HRV (no interiors/houses) and i was thinking if some1 have found a single ingredient in this region. 

I was thinking to go there maybe to have it clarified - I culd go via the cave to Forlom and from  there to Milton and HRV but im carrying a lot of stuff - found hammer, prybar, flares and a lot of Burdock (finally!). Im thinking about leaving it on the floor and checking HRV but i have doubts ill find anything there. I didnt even find a single thing in BlackRock. 

If anyone was there and found something please let me know. 

My experience with the recipes so far have been that they are really cool.... but super hard to actually use because having all the ingredients is very very rare. Too heavy to carry the flour and stuff with you all the time, so finding everything you need is basically a stroke of luck. I generally have one 'base' in every map and have been accumulating everything in a region there. And even still... I rarely have enough to make much of the recipes. Maybe one or two things. This is on Voyager too. So it's kind of a novelty and not a core part of meeting your food needs in the game. At least that's my take. Maybe if I get the technical backpack I'll start carrying flour and oats.

• Upvote 2

My experience is similar on a custom minimal loot run. I have found sufficient ingredients so far, but I've only been to populated places like Mystery Lake and Mountain Town. The weight is the main thing for me, but I am taking that as a positive as it balances the cookery out, makes it something that it is most practical to only do at a base. That combined with the higher decay rates really puts boundaries on how useful the cookery is outside of bases. And that's good IMO; I like the trade-off.

• Upvote 1

I'm using the "base" idea in certain regions -- those that have a lot of places to collect ingredients for cooking new recipes.  Esp. places with the 6-burner stoves. I'll make broth and leave it there, as well as an extra cooking pot or skillet & supplies of oil/flour/salt/oats.  I mainly make Ptarmigan or Rabbit Pies to take with me.  I might make a stew before bedtime, if I feel like being "cozy" after a long day outside.

Have not really used the burdock, and I also wish there was more use for the carrots & potatoes.  How about a Veggie Broth?? 

It is tough deciding whether to take the cooking pot or the skillet, I'm leaning towards keeping the skillet now, because of the pies.

Would love to see a cooking system where you could try different combos at some point, but perhaps that's a bit much to ask. Thinking meat & mushrooms, fish cooked in salt (preserved??) or braised in tea (delicious in real life), tomato soup-based stews & veggie mixes.  And I've always wanted a drying or smoking rack for fish, meat, etc.

As a bit of background -- I play almost exclusively on Pilgrim and I love to wander, exploring at a leisurely pace & I will "homestead" for days or weeks at a time in my favorite spots.  Still finding little, hidden, out of the way places I've never been, even after many hours of play.

Enjoy!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After the recent update that fixed the cooking recipes spawn in older saves im almost done with collecting all of the recipes. The only one i havent found yet is the illusive Prepper pie ! I have been to almost every bunker if im thinking correct:

ML, Milton, FM, HRV, BI, AC, TWM, PV all empty (interloper) that makes 8 and its supposed to be 9 in game. That leaves me with only one to go - Blackrock - it must be there. 

Also the fact that i had to visit the entire world for the recipes i did collect some ingredients that i missed the first time i was collecting them from the entire map. 

Now im sure i really did loot it all and the numbers are as follows (interloper):

Oil - 8 bottles

Flour - 8 bags

Oats - 4 boxes

Salt - 11 jars

Potatoes - 11 pieces

Carrots - 11 pieces

Burdock - 12 pieces

I also found a full bottle of maple syrup so im guessing its enough to make one of each of every recipe. Im still w8ting for the next update and not use the ingredients.  Im just keeping them on display in my main base and it looks cool tbh. 

Im curious how many ingredients did you guys find on lower difficulties?