Deer lures?

deathbydanish

With the addition of frontier cooking it got me thinking about some of the habits I developed playing this game. I tend to store all uncooked meat and cooked meat outside out of habit. Without thinking I would probably try to do that with ingredients like the carrots and potatoes.  Then it struck me, deer have been known to eat out of garbage cans in neighborhoods that encroach on their habitat. Although I would hate to waste those ingredients, I'd say the carrots and potatoes would make good lures for deer. For me I tend to hunt from odd angles like from above or below eye level of most animals where I would wait for them to crest a hill before firing, I think luring will help to make those of us who ambush hunt (especially with a revolver) a bit more effective at the cost of potentially valuable ingredients.

I imagine though that the carrots and potatoes would eventually freeze when left out and deer probably won't be attracted to frozen vegetables, so that would be another caveat, you could use them to lure deer only for a small window of time before they freeze.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

So have bears ;).

True and I think from what I recall a lot of players early on wondered if the predators would take meat stored outside. It certainly would add complexity to food management as opposed to just me mindlessly dropping meat outside.

22 hours ago, Just some guy being a dude said:

Imagine going outside the building you’ve been staying in to get the meat you’ve been keeping outside only to see a bear right outside the door.I think I’d have a heart attack!

I think that would be part of the challenge, I really have gone on autopilot when it comes to food management in that way. Maybe make this something that only happens on Interloper, I always get the impression that the hardcore players want even more challenge.

• Upvote 1