Inconsistent Condition of some stackable things

UTC-10

You may have noticed it.  Move pills from a container, like a first aid kit or a file cabinet drawer, into inventory and see a stack of 4 pills show up as one, one, and two pills.  Transfer them back out of inventory to the kit or drawer and they all seem to return to a four pill stack.  

Now if you dropped the one and one pills on the floor you may be surprised to see their condition change rather substantially up or down.  The two stack's condition would seem to remain the same if you drop them one by one.  

If you had put the two stack back into the first aid kit or file cabinet drawer (I think really any container that is not the character) then bring it back and drop it you might be surprised to see the two pills end up with different condition.  

I had 14 tablets of pain killers at 44%.  I was in the abandoned prepper cache.  I pulled the pills out of the file cabinet I had put them into (because I was engaged in a major base relocation from Mountaineer Hut to eventually put it all at the Farmstead) and decided to see what would happen.  

The attached JPG shows the results I got with moving the pills one by one from the cabinet to inventory where they sat as one pill stacks and then dropped them one by one on the floor.  I gathered them up and took the screen shot to show the results of that little experiment.  Fourteen 44% pills became 8 different stacks based on condition.  

I tried this back at Mountaineer Hut with cured deerskins, rabbit skins, and guts.  Now I have a host of 100% deerskin, rabbit skin, and guts.  Not all but an awful lot of them went to 100%.  

Reported the pain killer experience.  Hopefully this can be fixed one day. 

20230515140830_1.jpg

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

You may have noticed it.  Move pills from a container, like a first aid kit or a file cabinet drawer, into inventory and see a stack of 4 pills show up as one, one, and two pills.  Transfer them back out of inventory to the kit or drawer and they all seem to return to a four pill stack.  

Now if you dropped the one and one pills on the floor you may be surprised to see their condition change rather substantially up or down.  The two stack's condition would seem to remain the same if you drop them one by one.  

If you had put the two stack back into the first aid kit or file cabinet drawer (I think really any container that is not the character) then bring it back and drop it you might be surprised to see the two pills end up with different condition.  

I had 14 tablets of pain killers at 44%.  I was in the abandoned prepper cache.  I pulled the pills out of the file cabinet I had put them into (because I was engaged in a major base relocation from Mountaineer Hut to eventually put it all at the Farmstead) and decided to see what would happen.  

The attached JPG shows the results I got with moving the pills one by one from the cabinet to inventory where they sat as one pill stacks and then dropped them one by one on the floor.  I gathered them up and took the screen shot to show the results of that little experiment.  Fourteen 44% pills became 8 different stacks based on condition.  

I tried this back at Mountaineer Hut with cured deerskins, rabbit skins, and guts.  Now I have a host of 100% deerskin, rabbit skin, and guts.  Not all but an awful lot of them went to 100%.  

Reported the pain killer experience.  Hopefully this can be fixed one day. 

20230515140830_1.jpg

We are investigating this issue, but if you haven't done so already, please file a ticket via the Support Portal. We appreciate your patience! 

I have been reporting this phenomenon for a while.  Water purification tablets were where I noticed them first (mostly) then I also noticed the four pills becoming one, one and two, then noticed the change in condition for water purification tablets then antibiotics and pain killers then with respect to unbrewed coffee.  Then saw a bunch of 100% simple arrows combine with and become 69% simple arrows (might not be related).  Then found cured deer and rabbit hides and cured guts of various conditions have a high chance of becoming 100% condition when dropped. 

Now what used to be combinable - i.e., zero condition water purification tablets and pain killers could be combined with higher condition versions (was applicable to antibiotics and unbrewed coffee)  - can no longer combine that way.  So zero condition (ruined) water purification tablets can no longer be rehabilitated to a usable condition and presumably neither can ruined pain killers (which may or may not work). 

The flaky changes in condition simply by removing them from a container then dropping them on the floor or stepping through a transition has me paranoid about what else I will find out the hard way.  I am starting to leave stuff on shelves and counters not in containers to try to work around this phenomenon.  

Hope you folks figure out why this is happening and fix it.  

And about the revamp of abandoned prepper cache (or Prepper Abandoned Cache) and Lost and Found not firing... 😭

Edited by UTC-10
Noticed bad grammar.

One thing that has me wondering/worried is that I now can end up with a bunch of single pill stacks of antibiotics and pain killers.  Since treatments with these meds usually require two pills to make a proper dose, can that still happen?  If the game allows for taking one pill (because the available pills are single stacks of different condition) at a time to make a proper dose, great, if not, this would seem to call for a modification of how a character takes medication. Otherwise any odd sized stack of medication would then waste the odd pill or render single pills functionally useless. 

By experimentation, I am assured that ruined tins of coffee can be brewed into cups of coffee.  What a relief.  The only negative aspect of ruined tins of coffee would be that they cannot be in or placed in a container.  Presume that ruined boxes of herbal tea could be brewed into cups of herbal tea.  Still cannot be rehabilitated (via combining with non-ruined stuff) but at least they do not lose their function (so far).  

• 2 weeks later...

Water purification tablets (50% condition) in a medicine shelf when one was taken into inventory then dropped on the floor immediately turned to ruined (0%) condition.  That bodes not well for the remaining three tablets in the medicine shelf.  Since water purification tablets were one item that I know do not work when they reach ruined condition I will have to use them or lose them pretty soon.  Can't even take the remaining tablets (now 49% condition) outside of the farmstead since that act (crossing a transition) can also causes a change in their condition (maybe their "true" condition).  

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2023 at 3:25 PM, UTC-10 said:

The June 2023 Hotfix Update appeared to have mostly fixed this problem.  

Thank you for the feedback! We're glad it helped, but please don't hesitate to reach out if you need to report any other issues.