Gently ease in the detail for distant objects rather than snap them in suddenly

Sito

I am not a game dev so I don't know how game engines work and I don't know what is possible with them. With that said, let me explain.

In regions like CH for example, if you are way out on the ice and walking towards the shore the distant trees are white with just the shape, and rock features have no detail. But as you get closer trees and such suddenly pop into detail one by one as you move closer. Also limbs and such will pop in to existence suddenly as you approach to a certain distance.

I know there is a draw distance radius around the character but could it be more fuzzy such that features gradually get clearer rather than 0 to 100% all of a sudden? 

Keep up the good work Hinterland!  I now have 4700+ hours of play so nothing from me is a complaint, only a question or suggestion :)

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I feel like the draw distance has become worse over time. This could be a Unity engine issue that kind of comes automatically with the engine update. Not sure. But while CH was always an extreme case with the completely flat ice, now you notice it a lot sooner. I don't really mind very distant trees popping in, but it happens with relatively close objects as well. Approaching a camp fire you will have all the meat around it pop in while being almost at the fire. That's no longer a cosmetic issue, but actually has gameplay effects as you need to walk very close to it to check if you have any meat there.

Edited by Serenity

On 4/16/2023 at 7:17 PM, Sito said:

I am not a game dev so I don't know how game engines work and I don't know what is possible with them. With that said, let me explain.

In regions like CH for example, if you are way out on the ice and walking towards the shore the distant trees are white with just the shape, and rock features have no detail. But as you get closer trees and such suddenly pop into detail one by one as you move closer. Also limbs and such will pop in to existence suddenly as you approach to a certain distance.

I know there is a draw distance radius around the character but could it be more fuzzy such that features gradually get clearer rather than 0 to 100% all of a sudden? 

Keep up the good work Hinterland!  I now have 4700+ hours of play so nothing from me is a complaint, only a question or suggestion :)

Thank you for your feedback, and thank you for playing! 

• Like 1