A Fitness (or strength) skill. 7th in a series of possible updates.

SuperStriker16

Fitness skill

Level Skill points Effects
1 0
  • -25% wolf struggle effectiveness 
  • -25% harvesting speed
2 15

-10% wolf struggle effectiveness 

• -10% harvesting speed
3 30
  • Neutral no buffs, no debuffs.
  •  
4         50
  • +10% wolf struggle effectiveness 
  • +10% harvesting speed
  • +5% more stamina
  • +5% more condition
5        100
  • +25% wolf struggle effectiveness 
  • +25% harvesting speed
  • +15% more stamina
  • +15% more condition

The fitness skill is how physically fit your player character is, every day is 1 skill point meaning after 100 days, you get all of these benefits. There wouldn’t be a skill book for this skill.

• Upvote 4

+1

But I would prefer less fatigue (especially from sprinting) instead of extra stamina with higher level

Right now your character runs 2 times for like 200 meters (2x empty stamina bar) and is ready to go to sleep. Even the worst couchpotato isn't that fatigued after 2 short sprints. 

Edited by hipsu555
  • Like 3

Fitness skill

Level Skill points Effects
1 0
  • -25% wolf struggle effectiveness 
  • -25% harvesting speed
  • + 20% fatigue gain
2 15

-10% wolf struggle effectiveness 

• -10% harvesting speed
  • + 10% fatigue gain
3 30
  • Neutral no buffs, no debuffs.
  •  
4         50
  • +10% wolf struggle effectiveness 
  • +10% harvesting speed
  • +5% more stamina
  • +5% more condition
  • - 10% fatigue gain
5        100
  • +25% wolf struggle effectiveness 
  • +25% harvesting speed
  • +15% more stamina
  • +15% more condition
  • -20% fatigue gain 

Here is the edited chart with your suggestion. I like it.

I've been reading over all of these recent wishlist items... and I do not want to discourage your creativity, but I will offer a thought.
I wouldn't want the game to turn into something else (like Green Hell or a bog-standard shooter...).
I would also caution about all the skill tree's you're outlining... 
I tend to think that if so many things are dependent upon "skill levels" then I think it could negate a lot of individual player skill.
Personally, with some of the additional skills you talk about... reminds me a bit of Fallout New Vegas.  That's a fine game... but I personally would like The Long Dark to keep feeling like The Long Dark, and I caution folks wanting to change & add so much that it mutates into something else entirely. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Those are my thoughts.
It's not a criticism, just my concerns about the slippery slope of how games sometimes get so crammed with different elements that it can lose it's identity and risk becoming a kind of generic knockoff of its former self.   

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

I see what you mean, I’m trying to think of things that would make the game more realistic, more fun, or just recommend cool new attention to detail like features while trying to stay with the theme of the game so it doesn’t lose its identity as you say. I know what you mean and want the best for this game, which is why I’m trying to add realism to the game, because that’s what this is. I’ve played green hell and fallout 4 but this game is completely different to those, and I’m not trying to tear it down to their level because I think TLD is easily the best survival game on the market, but I’m trying my best to make it the most realistic survival game out there. I appreciate your concern. 

13 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I wouldn't want the game to turn into something else (like Green Hell or a bog-standard shooter...).
I would also caution about all the skill tree's you're outlining... 
I tend to think that if so many things are dependent upon "skill levels" then I think it could negate a lot of individual player skill

I agree with you, but a fitness/strength skill would makes sense. We do a lot of waking/running in deep snow and spend much time carrying heavy stuff arround in the game, it would make sense that we gain some kind of physical strengh over time. The changes shouldn't be huge (were not turning into superman) but noticible over time, like in real life. 

• Upvote 1

Fitness in a survival situation is important. But I would argue one should only gain fitness skill points when one is "well fed" and "well rested". Most survival situations involve sub-par caloric intake; indeed, many players utilize the starvation method in order to get by. Your fitness can't improve if you're hungry and tired. Doesn't make sense. Ever watch any of those survivor shows, such as Alone or (the best one, IMHO) Survivorman? People generally just gradually waste away in survivor situations. The only question is how quickly it happens.

Anyhow, a buff I'd like is not needing to sleep for 8 hours after a single rope climb.

Edited by Kranium
  • Upvote 1