Tool Variants: pocket knife, wood saw, lumber axe...

Willy Pete

Continuing the trend of item variants, I had some ideas for other tools that could have variants. A whole line of Curators variants with engraving, Damascus steel, etc. are a given so I won't mention them. I'm more interested in unique variants with pros and cons compared to the current tools.

Pocket Knife

The pocket knife would weigh much less than the hunting knife, perhaps .25 kg and degrade faster when used. It would be less effective than the hunting knife in struggles and if more cons are required would be only as effective as the improvised knife for tasks.

Combat Knife

The combat knife would weigh more than the hunting knife at 0.75 kg but degrade slower and be much more effective in struggles, perhaps on par with the hatchet or the heavy hammer. However, it would be less effective at tool-based tasks such as carcass harvesting and crafting.

Wood Saw

The wood saw would weigh less than the hacksaw at 0.75 kg but would be as effective or more effective than the hatchet at harvesting wood from tree limbs and branches. The major con, however, is that the wood saw would not be able to break down metal items or open crates on Timberwolf Mountain.

Lumber Axe

The lumber axe would weigh more than the hatchet at 2.0 kg and be more effective at harvesting wood than the hatchet. However, being a two-handed weapon it could not be used in struggles.

Tomahawk

The tomahawk would weigh the same as the hatchet but trade its durability and effectiveness as a tool for its drastically improved ability in struggles, rivaling the heavy hammer in struggle effectiveness while also causing bleeding.

• Upvote 3

It's always weird going around mystery lake or coastal and seeing massive piles of wood and not a single chainsaw. Geomagnetic apocalypse or not, they should work just fine.

Just think of all the things I could do with a chainsaw. I could maul bears. I could scare every wolf within a km. I could cut fishing holes wherever I want. And if I have any fuel left over I could make months of firewood out of those log piles.

I'd be willing to suffer a 10kg weight cost in order to become a crazed chainsaw killer (of virtual rabbits and bears).

Failing that, give me a wood saw and a few hours and let me start attacking logpiles

• Upvote 3