Environment improvements: Tents

Cyclone35

I've studied game design in the past and thought I would share a concept idea for improving the environmental aesthetics in your game. 

When exploring large regions with limited shelters and a lot of open space, you see a number of dead bodies out in the open. Its rather interesting that no survivors had any tents with them while exploring and surviving. I think to improve the sense of discovery, you should find some dead bodies near a tent. Most of the tents are ruined, but you might get lucky and find a proper undamaged tent. 

For gameplay purposes, we can say you can't carry these tents, they are static objects in the world. However, you can interact with them. Like car/trucks, you can use them as cover from the harsh weather, but they don't provide much protection from the cold. You can find 2 types of tents. Small ones designed for sleeping through the night, and large ones outfitted with a mini furnace, a sleeping bag, and 1 or 2 containers with supplies. 

Story/lore wise, you may find notes about survivors trying to escape great bear and struggling to survive the quiet apocalypse. Who knows, maybe you'll find a large cave system with multiple tents lying in a large open space. This is just a concept idea to help the map feel less empty.

Cheers

Tent.jpg

• Upvote 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...