Snow blindness, Fume asphyxiation and appropriate protection

EternityTide

In large open areas which are exposed to sunshine, like pleasant valley, the reflection of sunlight of snow can cause severe eye fatigue, sun burn and even blindness (if you are exposed to it for long enough). To combat this, the Inuit carvedcaribou antlers and combined it with sinew cord to make snow goggles:

1280px-Inuit_Goggles.jpg

I think an approximation of this can be made with fir wood and line. Occasionally the player may find a set of proper sunglasses to wear. These impair the user's vision to a lesser degree than the wood snow goggles. In game, when trecking through expanses such as the pleasant valley, the player will start to be able to see less and less if exposure to sunlight in snow continues (this could be represented by the game increasing the brightness of the screen until nothing can be seen).

The avatar will occasionally cover their eyes to gain a brief glimpse of the world around them, so you don't get trapped, blind, out in the snow, and can make it to shade. The effect does not occur at early dawn, after 5 o clock or during the night. Cloud cover means no snow blindness occurs.

Secondly, we've been venturing into enclosed places such as the Hydro carter dam and the Quonset gas station garage with immunity. These are places which to contain volatile toxic chemicals which are necessary for maintenance of equipment such as methanol, thinners and antifreeze, including volatile fuels such as petrol and LPG. Using the fire barrel in either quonset station or CHD would quickly lead to a fumey environment. Walking into such a haze would quickly lead to unconsciousness. As a result, the player will have to craft water soaked cloth masks that filter out the worst of the fumes.

More advanced gas masks that enable complete protection, but they are only found in the Prepper's bunker.

Warning indicators of exposure to these conditions could be demonstrated in the form that fatigue and hunger are. The character would mutter something like "Getting hard to breath... don't know how long I'm gonna last" when entering a hazardous atmosphere, and saying things like "It's so bright.. I can barely see" when dangerous levels of sunlight exposure occur.

fun idea, though in my experience its never sunny long enough to worry about this :)

anyway, making makeshift glasses out of antler would be one way, but maybe we could just add the ability to find sunglasses instead? there would bound to be some in a building, and this seems to me to be a more realistic solution (considering our character is not likely to know how to build Inuit goggles), and less restricting of your vision.

The burn barrel in the gas station for sure would be an issue for sure-- Took me a while to even realize I could start a fire in the barrel, just because it seemed like such a bad idea! CHD is pretty big and open, with an open window, so I think that's alright.

Not convinced that there's a reason that solvents would be leaking enough to cause toxic levels of fumes--- I store lots of stuff in my garage without issue... At any rate, an explosion when you strike a match might be a bigger danger than breathing the fumes.

Archived