How many bears per region

Sgt Socks

Umm, how many bear spawns can you get per region?

I been playing for years, always had them on very high. Never seen more than two spawns in a region, even PV. Ever.

I've just come across *four* bears in PV and I am freaking the *bleeeeep* out! 😳

I honestly thought they were capped at 2 maybe 3 a region?

I guess there's two different ways to answer this question:

• How many bears can spawn in one region simultaneously?
  • How many possible bear spawns are there in each region?

As for the first question, I don't know the answer. I'd have to fly over the region and turn my render distance WAY up to see how many bears are present at the same time.

The second question is much easier to answer: every region has a different number of possible bear spawns. Not every spawn point will be active on every playthrough, but according to the wiki, here is where you can find bears:

Mystery Lake: 1-2 bears

Coastal Highway: 2-3 bears

Pleasant Valley: 5-7 bears

Desolation Point: 1 bear

Timberwolf Mountain: 3 bears

Forlorn Muskeg: 2 bears

Broken Railroad: 1 bear

Mountain Town: 1 bear

Bleak Inlet: 1 bear

Hushed River Valley: 2 bears

Ash Canyon: 1 bear

Blackrock Region: 3 bears

Notice: In Mystery Lake, Coastal Highway, and Pleasant Valley, not all bear caves are active on every playthrough. A cave that's active on one playthrough may be empty the next one.

• Like 1

@Glflegolas

Wow, thank you for such a detailed response!

This list will certainly be useful for people unaware of where bear spawns are, or for others to remind themselves.

You were right to break down my question into two parts, my apologies for not making the distinction myself.

It is indeed the first part to which I am referring:

4 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

How many bears can spawn in one region simultaneously?

I had thought, perhaps mistakenly, that this number was capped to 2 or 3 per region. I think I saw that somewhere when reading about this subject previously, but I'm not sure if I'm imagining it!

Indeed it seems that either I did imagine it, or that the cap is higher. For seeing 4 bears in PV is a shock, all the years I've been playing I don't remember ever seeing more than 2-3 per region.

I guess I am unsure as to whether the devs have capped it, or whether the number is purely RNG (taking into account your correct point about not all spawn points being active on each play through in those regions).

Thank you again for taking the time to answer in such an indepth manner 

Edited by Sgt Socks

I'm pretty that bear spawning is just like wolf spawning. Again, this is from the wiki:

A fixed number of wolves are present per region (living and dead), generated at wolf spawn points which they wander close to. Each spawn point can only house one wolf at a given time, though others may spawn at neighboring points. As in-game time progresses wolves may move between points. The number of active wolf spawn points, and the availability of some increases based on the difficulty setting.

So, it is theoretically possible to see up to seven bears at the same time in Pleasant Valley. You'd have to be on Stalker for this to happen, however.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

I'm pretty that bear spawning is just like wolf spawning. Again, this is from the wiki:

So, it is theoretically possible to see up to seven bears at the same time in Pleasant Valley. You'd have to be on Stalker for this to happen, however.

Oh that's just marvellous (can you hear the sarcasm?).

Me and bears have a *special* relationship. This is utterly terrifying! 😳

1 hour ago, UTC-10 said:

If checking whether a bear spawned at a given location, the home cave for the bear should have animal bones in it.  No bones, no bear.  As usual, YMMV. 

Thanks UTC for trying to help.

This I do know however.

I may have given the impression that I'm not well versed in battling the bears. I am, and don't have an issue with finding where the bears have spawned in each region as I know the caves well, always keeping eyes peeled for the bones so I know where I need to be extra careful.

I asked this question because I was shocked to find 4 bears in PV (so far) when the most I have ever seen, on any setting, is 3 bears. 

However I do want to thank you and @Glflegolasfor such thoughtful responses.