The Encumbered Diaries - Part 2 - Ash Snowball (Non Loper)

Sgt Socks

TIME FOR A NEW CHALLENGE....

Following my horrifying encounter with a rearing bear (I still can't get over seeing that) which ultimately led to an epic but rather dispiriting death, I decided it was time to start a new challenge.  @Leeanda and I have been talking about this for a little while behind the scenes, and I reckon its time to take the plunge.

A snowball's chance in hell?

Hopefully not!  I learned from @conanjaguar that this kind of challenge is called a snowball.  No idea why, but I like it - well unless it does turn out to be in hell after all.

Challenge Type & Location - Ash Canyon Snowball (that means I cannot leave Ash Canyon)

Difficulty - Custom (Definitely not Loper thank you very much!).  I've basically set everything to medium.  So while this makes things easier with things like wolves, cold over time etc it makes it harder as well with only medium recovery, medium struggle bonus etc.

Wildlife - No Timberwolves as always (do they even spawn in AC?). Very High Bear & Moose Spawns.  Everything else Medium.

Goal - Leeanda and I discussed an appropriate duration to aim for and as a result my overall goal is to survive 50 days.  However, judging by my first few days, I'll be happy to make it less than half that! 😁 There are no other restrictions on this challenge.  For me the largest challenge is the choice of location; I've only twice ventured into Ash Canyon at all, and then I simply went up and down the western side to access the mine.  As a result, this is practically a brand new region for me and learning the layout, nooks and crannies better is my main reason for doing it.

AND SO IT BEGINS....

image.thumb.jpeg.7d2c0e0d82b9fd9b997380bbfa135a91.jpeg

This is where I have spawned.  I immediately feel a surge of panic.  I don't know where I am or where to go!  Breathe Socks, breathe....

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2

I breathe.  Bloody hell I'm cold!

OK, pick a direction Socks.  I have a brief look around and realise I'm quite high up.  Knowing the mine is at a higher elevation I figure to keep going up.  Got to start somewhere.  I check around and see to my left what looks like a pathway taking me higher and away from the canyon floor.

It really is a beautiful day, I've been very fortunate with my starting weather.  Cold, obviously, but clear and with little wind.  It is also around noon which I am incredibly thankful for, I think I would have cried if it made me start it at night!

image.thumb.jpeg.b70d06bb239165ce9c7df13d9c2ee64f.jpeg

I still feel that panic bubbling away though.  The unfamiliar surroundings, no matter how beautiful, feel threatening and heavy.  However I keep walking, keep moving upwards.

Wait a minute... is that?.....

Yes it is!  Oh my goodness, it is the TWM cave that leads to Deer Clearing!  Thank You Thank You Great Bear Gods!  Of all the places you could have started me, I actually know where I am!  With this knowledge I feel a little easier.  At least I know I may just make it through the first day or two.  I decide to continue the route I know, up the Western side of the map.  I know further up there is Stone Shelf Cave.  I should be able to make it there before I freeze to death.

As I walk I pick up every stick I see, grab every lichen and rosehips.  No reishi mushrooms which is a shame, I have the soup making mod and I can make a yummy soup from prepared rosehips, reishi tea and a cattail stalk.  I do have a can of Pork n Beans in my inventory but unfortunately it is only 25%.  Will have to make sure I eat that before sleeping in case I get food poisoning.

Eventually I get to Stone Shelf Cave.  I am incredibly grateful because I am starting to get dangerously cold.  I don't want to start messing about with hypothermia and frostbite this early on in the run. I grab the multitude of rosehips from outside the cave and go inside, it is reassuringly warm.  Not all caves are warm.  I gratefully pick up the firewood the cave offers me and light a fire.  Another gift from the Gods! It lights first time.  At least this means I can grab a few torches to help save my matches when lighting future fires.  As I begin to warm up I boil plenty of water, for once I am carrying barely anything at all so I have the spare capacity and not worrying about my hydration is one thing I can take care of. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cacd733fcf61d14eb3794c1dddd7fa6f.jpeg

As night begins to draw in I feel the anxiety returning.  Even though I know this singular route in Ash, I also know there are three very long rope climbs to come.  Admittedly it offers me a better chance of immediate survival than wandering around in circles, but I don't have any coffee and out in the open and sleeping to recover some fatigue is going to be a finely balanced act between surviving and freezing.  Worry about that tomorrow Socks.  It is getting a little late in the day, enjoy this evening in your snug little cave.

Before I'm about to go to sleep, having a few hours on the fire thanks to the firewood in the cave as well as the few sticks I managed to find on the way, I hear a familiar twinkling sound.  My first night here and there is an aurora.  Thank goodness I'm nowhere near any wildlife!

I can't resist going back outside the cave to have a look, it really is incredibly beautiful...

image.thumb.jpeg.0a3496494da5406d038bb3d4799c737f.jpeg

• Upvote 2

NO TIME TO STOP AND TAKE PHOTOS....

The next day begins with the heaviness of fear.  How the hell am I going to survive these climbs?  Only one way to find out Socks, get moving.

I get to the first rope climb in good time.  Stats all looking OK, the Pork n Beans I consumed before bed thankfully didn't give me food poisoning!  Unfortunately I haven't got anything left to boost my calories, well except for a few rosehip teas. Worry about that later.

The first climb goes well, as expected.  I continue walking and see a deer carcass, but I can't harvest it because it is frozen and I have no knife.  I really could have done with a venison steak right now.  I then reach the campfire and the snow shelter.  Here I find a sewing kit, a piece of fir firewood, some matches and some ketchup crisps.  That will hardly sustain me but I'll take it.

I am cold and getting colder, so I debate whether to get into the shelter and light a fire.  However, I know I will have another long climb after this one.  I *think* I can make this climb on my current levels of fatigue and hunger and it will mean I only have the last and longest climb to worry about.  The less I am out here the better.

So I take a deep breath and climb a second time...  I take a rest on the ledge part way up, trying to focus purely on the wall and rope.  The height is starting to make me feel queasy!  After my stamina has recharged I climb up the final part of the cliff and over the top.  What I a relief!  I grab the revolver ammo (maybe I'll find a gun to go with them... failing that I'll just throw them at the hostile wildlife) and make my way around the winding ledges and under the protective overhangs.

Now I stand at the base of the final climb, with a decision to make.... I am really cold.  I am really tired.  There is absolutely no way I will make it up this climb without at least some sleep.  Goodness this is tricky.  Thankfully I have a bit of firewood grabbed from the ledges on the way up so I tuck myself into the base of the climb away from the wind (hopefully) and start a fire.  OK so I have two hours of warmth.  I sleep for two hours, and realise it still wont be enough.  Starting to panic now!

I risk another hour's sleep, despite the cold.  This will have to be enough.  I *just* make it to the ledge.  Oh my god this is a horrible climb!  Thanking the Universe again for the firewood on the ledge I light a small fire.  It isn't going to last long and I need sleep but I'll just have to hope its enough.  I try and judge how much sleep I will need, balanced with the cold and the climb left.  I sleep for 5 hours.  

I wake and I am very very cold but at least I am not that far from the top, and even though I am close to freezing I am not yet hypothermic.  Thankfully no blizzard started and the wind wasn't anything out of the ordinary.  I am however, extremely hungry!!!  I really, really hate this bloody ledge, you have to really shuffle close to the edge before you can grab the rope!

I make it up to the top! Wooooo hoooooo! I grab the rope and hurry off towards the mine.  I need to get indoors quickly, and hopefully find something to eat.  On the way up through the birch trees I gratefully grab the bark on offer, I may well need that very soon!

I reach the climb with the metal wheel thinggummy over it, and attach the rope.  I considered goating down, but for one thing I can't see all that much, and also I don't know if I will need to climb out of here again.  I know continuing on through the mine basically sets me back the way I've come, and on this run that's pointless.  So I cover all bases and climb down, hoping I don't get so exhausted I fall off to my death!

I make it but my fatigue is about to go into the red.... I want to run to the mine but I can't....

I just make it there in time to fall into it.  I am at risk of hypothermia but at least now I will warm up.  I am incredibly hungry but that is going to have to wait or I am going to collapse due to exhaustion, which is now firmly in the red.  I am swaying on my feet. I collapse into my bedroll, grabbing two hours, just enough to keep me going.

After two hours I get up and light one of the torches I pulled from the fire, and eagerly make my way through the mine.  The first area with the fire drum I get a harvesting skill book, a can of pop, a tin of peaches.  I ravenously devour the peaches and guzzle the pop, belching loudly because no-one can hear to be disgusted!  I gather the reclaimed wood, and as I walk any coal I see, and hurriedly make it to the best bit of the entire region....

TADAAAAAA!

I have the backpack and crampons!!!!

However , I am more excited about the Cowichan sweater.  An absolute godsend.  I also find a rifle which is a relief because I know I will have a bear to pit myself against soon.  Unfortunately it is only 34% and I don't have much ammo, but its better than trying to stone it to death.

I also find a bit more food which I wolf down (pardon the pun), a hunting knife, an accelerant and a couple more bits and pieces.  I need to sleep.  The two hours has barely touched the sides.  I fill my tummy with food and water, I'll worry about having no food again tomorrow.  I sleep a much needed length of time, luxuriating in the warmth of the mine.

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1

FROM HERE ON OUT... IT IS A VENTURE INTO THE UNKNOWN...

I wake in the morning, it is going to be cold outside this early on but at least I'm not relying on just a tatty sweatshirt for warmth! However I am hugely anxious.  Now, from this point onwards in my journey, I will be treading ground on which I have never trodden on before.  I really am not good in places I don't know well.

Refusing to listen to the nagging doubts, I press onwards with my challenge.  I leave the mine the way I came in, and realise it is far too cold! I return to the mine and spend an hour or so preparing rosehips, making a few tinder plugs etc. On coming back out I am relieved to see the weather is good, clear and fine, if a little windy.  It is also less cold, although I am still going to have to bust my butt in order to stop it freezing off.

I have a wander about the area around the mine collecting any resources I can find.  I come to a big drop off and find a body, unfortunately the only thing on offer is a packet of crisps.  I nervously get close to the edge and look down and wish I hadn't!  It's a bloody long way down!  Not seeing any other exit routes I return to the rope and sigh, another climb.  Still, I'm glad I didn't goat my way down or I would have been stuffed.

When I get to the top I turn left, and begin my journey into the unknown...

I pass a cave which contains a climbing rope.  Not knowing if I will need it or not I pick it up, having plenty of inventory space.

I climb down to an area which declares itself to be Wolf's Jaw Overlook.  As long as the wolves are way down there!  

I come to a lovely little area of overhang with a snug little section so I make a small fire, I am getting extremely cold.  Once I've warmed up I leave this area and begin to make my way along a winding pathway.  Looking out at the view I start to feel sick, I don't want to go over those bridges!!! And the weather is starting to deteriorate...

image.thumb.jpeg.ec27c115aa8ed8fbe80af42ae9c3d4a3.jpeg

The wind suddenly picks up and, not knowing where I am going, I decide to turn back to the overhang, even though I am getting really hungry. I don't know what is coming up and the last thing I need is to get caught out in the open or one of those bridges!

THANK GOODNESS I DID!!!!!

A blizzard hits. I am fortunate enough to be able to light another fire; the spot I am in is sheltered enough.  I read for an hour and the blizzard is still roaring.  I only have 1 hour left on the fire.  I read another hour.  The fire begins to fade.... but breathing a million sighs of relief, the blizzard does too.  After another hour without a fire I am able to leave the overhang.

WAIT A MINUTE, WHAT'S THAT?

When I walked out of the overhang earlier I didn't see a pile of something tucked up against the wall.  I get closer, and.... what really?  Really really really?!!!!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.70116e8b79362f990c3ea2fc435ea31f.jpeg

I run around like a mad excitable Spaniel barking for joy!!!!  I didn't have any coat at all and now I have the Bearskin coat!  I also have a pair of wool longjohns to add to my tatty normal ones, and thankfully a pair of decent climbing socks, only having a pair or threadbare sports socks on.  I also gratefully grab the two flares on offer.

Now the weather has eased it is time to take a deep breath and summon my courage to cope with the bridges.  Dear god the bridges....

WHO'S STUPID IDEA WAS THIS?

image.thumb.png.6aa5752412529529346e145a40ff9699.png

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1

After crossing the bridges I come across an area where I turn right or left.  I decide on left.

This brings me to a cave.  I check my inventory and I have enough fire pulled torches to have a look around.

I enter the cave and immediately have to climb down.  I'm at a camp fire where I thankfully find a little bit of food to stave off starvation a wee bit longer.  There is also a piece of cloth which will allow me to repair my Cowichan when back out in the light again.  I wander round the cave in what feels like circles, gathering coal as I go.  That could come in very useful, and in this run so far I am barely ever encumbered (Which feels very odd to me!). Round one of the corners I find a rucksack which gives me.... nothing!  What a bloody tease!  In another section though I find a hatchet which is incredibly welcome, at least now I'm not only reliant on sticks, found firewood and scavenged coal. 

After a bit more wandering around I see a waterfall.  Hmm.  Do I go through and see what is on the other side?  Well, I do have plenty of coal and a couple pieces of firewood from the first campfire area.  So I strip off to keep my clothes dry and walk through.  Relighting the torch I end up realising the cave takes me back outside and there is sod all to find.  I am really irritated.  I go back through the waterfall and of course, hypothermia risk.  Thankfully when I put all my warm dry clothes back on, especially my precious bearskin coat, I begin to warm up, albeit very slowly.  I wander around a bit more then start to panic when I realise I am running low on torches.  I turn a corner and see a deer carcass and, wait a minute... I'm back at the start of the cave again.  How the hell did I miss that deer the first time?!  Looking at the sundial on my wrist I realise it is getting late so I decide to spend the night in the cave where it is at least safe and warm.

I harvest the hide from the deer, I leave the guts because I don't know what is coming up, although I think it will be the bear @Leeanda warned me about.  I take the meagre offering of venison but very gratefully and settle down to cook it, boil some water and read a book.  Eventually I settle down to sleep, hoping I am going to find a sustainable way of feeding myself soon.

A nervous start to the day....

I wake refreshed but hungry.  I am worried about that.  But I am more worried about the likelihood that I will next be facing the bear.  I am incredibly anxious after the unusually powerful bear I encountered in my first Diary, the one which reared up, something I have never seen before, and made me bleed to death after two unprovoked maulings.

I check my rifle, 34% will have to do. And I have to make my bullets count.

On leaving the cave I return to the fork and continue in the right hand direction.  The ground opens up and there is large overhang, and lots of firewood dotted about.  Then I hear something, and my stomach flips...

I carefully make my way to the overhang, nothing underneath but I can see a corpse.  I hope that is not a premonition! And those are definitely bones so this is definitely the bear cave.  Oh god oh god oh god....

I can't see him at the moment so I continue on, very very carefully....

The overhang gives way to a larger more open area but still with a massive drop on the right hand side.  Leeanda was right, there is absolutely nowhere to run!  Off in the distance I can see the bear, and he is walking towards me....

Knowing it is do or die I take a deep breath and find a spot where I can crouch down and take a head on shot.  Please please let this work, please don't let me die, not again, not now!

Here he comes... stay on target, stay on target (bonus points to anyone who knows that movie reference)

ONE SHOT. He roars!  No critical shot.... damn damn damn!

He charges...

SECOND SHOT. 

He keeps charging! I scream extreme expletives!

THIRD SHOT...

image.thumb.jpeg.d468d496abfd825f287139de7c70234e.jpeg

I collapse in a gibbering, hyperventilating wreck!!!

BUT I DID IT! I AVENGED MY EPIC DEATH IN MYSTERY LAKE!!

This was enough stress for me, so I saved the game by passing time for an hour.  I will decide what to do and where to go in the next episode of my Ash Snowball Challenge...

Thank you for journeying with me! I have survived 4 days, hopefully more to come....

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2

I'm glad you got him😁.     The devs are indeed a sneaky lot placing him there.  

That cave was the one I mentioned before so it seems you went through the opposite way.🙂.   The only time I've seen the bear on that wooden walkway was on ytube and he fell off😁.  But at least he's out the way now and you've got a few hearty dinners to enjoy.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I'm glad you got him😁.     The devs are indeed a sneaky lot placing him there.  

That cave was the one I mentioned before so it seems you went through the opposite way.🙂.   The only time I've seen the bear on that wooden walkway was on ytube and he fell off😁.  But at least he's out the way now and you've got a few hearty dinners to enjoy.

Haha I wish I had seen that video!  I must look for it, hilarious!! 🤣 As much as I got satisfaction and supplies from shooting him the entertainment value of that would have been priceless, especially after seeing the incredibly rare rearing bear.

I'm not sure about the meals though sadly... I'm not sure about rolling the dice on the intestinal parasite risk.  I am wishing I had turned it off! But I wanted to challenge myself.  Idiot.

I agree about the devs, this was just so incredibly mean!  I'm just glad I'll have the pelt for repairing the coat later on.

I'm incredibly grateful that you warned me, even though I didn't know exactly where I think the scare (especially after my last encounter) would have been a bit too much! 🤪

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

@Sgt Socks

Enjoy that meat!

However, at the rate you are using matches, you’ll be spending that last 20 of your 50 days drinking non-potable water and eating raw rabbit meat :).

Next up for you: The Kegstand 👍.

See above about the meat... I really wish I could tuck in with gusto, my belly is growling louder than the wolves!

The Kegstand? Is this Conan speak for a particular location? 🤔🙃😊

Actually, you have a point about the matches, thank you!  I'm just not used to having to worry about how many are consumed.  I am being a good girl and using torches each time so it is only a single match, but I am aiming for 50 days after all.... I will double check my stash to make sure I don't run out.  That really would be a disaster!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sgt Socks said:

Haha I wish I had seen that video!  I must look for it, hilarious!! 🤣 As much as I got satisfaction and supplies from shooting him the entertainment value of that would have been priceless, especially after seeing the incredibly rare rearing bear.

I'm not sure about the meals though sadly... I'm not sure about rolling the dice on the intestinal parasite risk.  I am wishing I had turned it off! But I wanted to challenge myself.  Idiot.

I agree about the devs, this was just so incredibly mean!  I'm just glad I'll have the pelt for repairing the coat later on.

I'm incredibly grateful that you warned me, even though I didn't know exactly where I think the scare (especially after my last encounter) would have been a bit too much! 🤪

I keep forgetting about parasites ,  a shame really but it will indeed come in handy for the coat.  There's not really many clothes in ash and cloth is rather limited.  I'm glad I mentioned him otherwise those tenas would've run out 😁

2 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

See these threads:

Essentially what you’re doing in Ash: staying in the Forlorn Muskeg for 50 days... of course, it wouldn’t have to be on ‘Loper.

Thanks Conan, I will certainly have a look! 👍 (although I doubt I will ever do this in FM, god I hate that place!)

• Upvote 1

I HOPE YOU'RE SITTING COMFORTABLY, THIS PART OF THE ADVENTURE IS GOING TO TAKE A WHILE...

I also hope you brought coffee to keep you awake, and to give to this poor survivor!  Not a single cup to be found anywhere in Ash.  For me, a proud coffee fiend, this lack of the elixir of the gods is reason enough to throw myself off one of those bloody awful bridges...

NOTE

I am not using a map.  I studied the map when I did the two mine runs previously, but that is the only pre warning I have about the complicated layout of this region.  Therefore, I am effectively walking blind….

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to harvest just the hide from the bear, I have no idea what is to come so the last thing I need is to attract wolves with the smell of uncured guts. I continue walking and spot a dilapidated barn in the distance.  I decide this is to be my first destination.

As I get closer I see there is also a small cabin.  When I arrive the Ancients tell me I have reached Miner's folly.  I first check the barn and find a fire drum, and a few small items of loot. Nothing particularly exciting although a chocolate bar is a welcome gift. On entering the cabin I am displeased to find it cluttered and a real mess.  I don't think this is somewhere I will set up home, plus it is too far out of the way.  I rummage around and do find a tin of dog food, a pair of work pants and a pair of wool socks.  Plus a second hatchet, this one at 85%. Despite the poor surroundings I am pleased, I can get rid of the sports socks and am not reliant only on a ragged pair of jeans.

This being the first indoor place I've found since the cave higher up, I drop the bear pelt on the floor to begin curing.  Now I have a decision to make.

I am very, very hungry.  I am worried about how hungry I am.  The dog food was instantly consumed and relieved the situation in only a minor way, I know soon I will be dancing with starvation again.  I also know that I am going to need cured guts to make fishing lines and or snares.  Sighing, I leave the cabin and return to the bear carcass.  I harvest the guts and 2x 1kg pieces of meat.  Praying a wolf doesn't materialise out of the mist I walk back down to the cabin and drop the guts to begin curing.  I cook the bear meat, knowing that I am going to risk intestinal parasites if I eat it.  However, it is getting late and I know that I am soon going to be starving.  Holding my nose and my breath, I eat one steak. 1% chance of parasites arrives.

Going back to the cabin with an almost full stomach should feel good, but eating that bear steak was almost as worrying as the starvation 🤢.  I harvest the single curtain and the rug for much needed cloth, ready to make a couple of repairs in the morning.  I also pick up a couple of pieces of reclaimed wood for future snares, not knowing when I will get some again.  I snuggle up in the uninviting bed but am soon luxuriating in its warmth, and glad I am not on the cold floor again.

On waking I take a deep long drink and, after much deliberation, eat the second steak.  If I don't I will be in real trouble very soon.  4% chance of parasites. I repair my Cowichan to a decent standard, and my bedroll. I also make a new torch using the lantern fluid I found in the mess of this cabin.

I leave the cabin to decent enough weather, if a bit misty.  I start walking and looking around, and spot something in the distance.  It is a proper house! I return to the cabin and gather up the pelt, guts and some of the bits I had dropped. I go to the house and am told I have discovered Foreman's Retreat.  Again I am disappointed by the state of the place, but I do find a cooking pot which is great, it will make cooking faster and I can more easily keep on top of the water situation. I did find a little bit of food; a can of peaches, a granola bar and a box of matches. I can also harvest a bit more cloth.

I have another debate with myself.  I have a feeling it is going to be difficult getting back up here, but I also don't know where I will next find an indoor space and I don't know where the wolves are.  What do I do about the pelt and guts? I decide to take a risk and carry them with me; although this house is better it is too out of the way (unless there is an easy way back up here) for me to settle in.

Therefore I return back outside to carry on my journey.  I look around a bit, pick up some sticks and some lichen.  I can't see anywhere to go down.  I start walking along the edge of the area, nervously trying to ignore the drop.  I see what looks like a path and move towards it...

...and slip! Crampons didn't save me.  Now I find myself on the hillside not being able to get up again, the only option is to goat down and pray I don't fall to my death or ruin my clothing. Slowly, carefully, and holding my breath I goat down the hillside, cursing myself for my inattention that got me in this pickle...

Thankfully I reach the ground with only minor bruising and a very small clothing tear. Looking around I see a lot of creepy dead trees, but I also spot some cattails.  They usually mean water.  I follow the cattail trail, gathering everything I can including sticks. Now the area opens up into what looks like a frozen lake.  I'm nervous now because it is getting misty and I am still carrying the smelly guts on me.  Frantically walking around I spot something in the distance....

Oh thank goodness!  There is another small cabin.

image.thumb.jpeg.42032e064fd5f8bc4808d0556b542332.jpeg

I gratefully enter and am told it is The Angler's Den.  Does this mean I will be able to find a fishing spot?  I do hope so! 

In the cabin, which although is again messy, I find a pleasing space.  This could easily be spruced up to be a nice little home while I am in Ash.  There is a workbench inside which is incredibly useful, the only other one I have seen is all the way at the top at the Miner’s barn.  There is a single plate cooking stove. I find ONE piece of metal, I bloody hope I find a hacksaw somewhere or I am going to struggle making enough fishing lines to get me through 50 days. I also find a toolkit, a snare (thank the Gods!), a Frontier Shooting book, some much needed food and some matches.  I also find a ski jacket, hoorah!  OK so its not the best coat but I have the Bearskin and this will be a valuable second layer.  I also find a few pieces of clothing that I can either keep as spares or harvest for cloth.  There are a couple of curtains I can break down, and a large rug.  That should help me out a lot. I also find a few rifle cartridges and a few revolver rounds. I am very pleased indeed! On second inspection I also see a full fishing tackle and I breathe a huge sigh of relief.  Hopefully that will mean a few fish at least to get me through.

I dump the bear pelt, cured guts and a couple of deerskins I’ve been carrying around to carry on the curing process.  Once all these are done I can save enough to repair the Bearskin coat when it needs it and make some snares.  Unless I really struggle with the cold I am going to make do with the toque, headscarf, wool mittens, work pants and trail boots I have already – making the rabbit and deer clothing will take away too much from my sewing kits and I can’t make enough fishing lines to compensate.  I would rather keep the clothing I do have in good condition.

I spend the rest of the day repairing clothing and organising the space.  I have a couple hours of light left so I go outside and have a bit of a scout around, collecting as many cattails as I can, and a good stock of sticks.  Once it starts getting too dark I go inside and start a fire to make a good stock of water to keep me going.  Just as well I am using the torch to light the fires, this one took 5 attempts! 

I really do like this little cabin...

image.thumb.png.ae96285213c07216d8970b8dd2eb97d6.png

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2

After a good sleep I realise that I feel I am missing something up around the bear area; because I slipped down the hillside I didn’t carry on past the bear area and explore further.  I am going to have to try and work out a way to get back up there.  The parasite risk has gone and I happily munch on some cattails to bring my calorie levels up a bit. I decide to follow the river and see where it takes me; usually if you follow the water it will lead you to somewhere you can work with.  Unfortunately, I can hear a blizzard roaring and it stays for most of the day, so I spend my time reading and doing little odd jobs.  When I can finally get outside it is again getting late, so I look around and find a good rabbit and deer spot just across from the cabin I can use when the time comes.  And of course, gathering the natural resources I find.

There are soooooo many rosehips here!  But a definite lack of reishi mushrooms, I haven’t found many at all.

Finally the next day the weather is reasonable and I can get out and start exploring.  I take my rifle with me just in case, you never know I might find a Moose.  I follow the river and come out to a large area filled with super creepy dead trees, especially in the morning mist.

Walking along I keep gathering resources then I see something in the distance… it’s a fishing hut! How exciting!  When I reach it I find it dilapidated without a roof, but it still has a stove and the fishing hole so I am hugely relieved.  I drop my prybar there so I don’t have to carry it. I have the feeling I won’t be coming across any lockers that need prying open so will use it to break the ice.

I keep walking and trying to find a way to reach the higher levels again.  Near the end of the water I spot a path leading up and I eagerly pursue it.  Unfortunately when I reach the end it asks me whether I want to leave Ash Canyon.  Dammit, I’ve found Keeper’s Pass.  Yes I want to leave but I can’t!  So I turn round and walk all the way back to the cabin, but following the opposite side of the basin this time.  Still no access that I need.  Back at the cabin I leave all the new supplies, then start walking the other way.  It is getting to be mid afternoon so I may not have that much time, but I must make the most of it.  I still have that bubbling anxiety, not having a clue where I am or where I am going, or how will get to where I want to be.

Following the water again but in the opposite direction… I hear a howl. Uh oh… I think I may have just found my first wolf. I see him in the distance so get out my rifle, although I can’t make use of the meat unless an emergency I do want the pelt.  If I can eventually craft a wolf coat as well then I will be warm and toasty. 

I wait until he notices me then crouch and aim to make him charge. 

When he is almost on me and the sights are lined up…. BOOM! One shot.  Dead wolfie! 

03.thumb.jpg.06d51d38a4a8d39359c43a46a19949c3.jpg

I want to leave him part harvested to give me a bit more time before respawn so I harvest the pelt and guts and 2x 1kg steaks to cook as emergency rations (the cattails wont last forever!). These I take back to the cabin but now it is getting too late to do anything else.  It will have to wait until tomorrow.

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2

The next day I head to the area behind the cabin, I think this is where I came down in the first instance (although I could be wrong, I keep getting disorientated!).

02.thumb.jpg.7839ef61d9219be4cc73ec1ef21ae639.jpg

I’m happily walking along then I hear another growl and bark and a wolf comes charging at me before I know what’s going on.  Luckily I quickly draw my rifle and do the same again, BOOM one shot, dead wolfie number two!

04.thumb.jpg.737de508b3e2dcfbe9a7a3247b0039e8.jpg

Two pelts down two to go.  This time I only harvest the pelt because I want to keep moving and don’t want to attract unwanted attention.  Down this avenue I find a small cave and a rope climb, which I decide not to take at the moment. 

I turn round and come back out and on the way I notice something rather amusing! Those devs.... 😄

07.thumb.jpg.fc50899901b1361159daded78f988373.jpg

Empty!  That really is mean Great Bear Gods!  I did find a couple minor bits of loot down here, a tiny bit of food but nothing spectacular. Now I move towards the waterfalls on the opposite side of the cabin.  There are two avenues, both underneath those awful rope bridges. I take the left avenue.

Just as I am reaching the entrance I hear… you guessed it, another bloody wolf! For chuck’s sake, I can’t get anything done today!  I do the same thing again with the rifle, playing chicken with the charging wolf (this is the best way to shoot them I have found, if a bit nerve wracking!).  BOOM.  One shot, dead wolfie number three!

06.thumb.jpg.0de2f04dd166ad452d199b85165f8b6c.jpg

One more pelt to go!  I certainly wasn’t expecting to get this many so fast.  I am relieved I am only taking one shot because once I get a fourth wolf I will have to conserve the rest of the bullets for either deer or one more bear.  Assuming I don’t find any more ammo. Again I harvest only the pelt and carry on walking.

• Upvote 2

Still following the river and gathering all the cattails I can I come to a set of two small waterfalls.  On closer inspection I see a path to the left I can take. I am getting concerned about the time now though, so I decide to return to the cabin then come back here tomorrow.  Hopefully it will be quicker not having to deal with these wolves.

The next day is bright and clear, let’s see if I can make some actual progress this time!  I am getting concerned about my food situation again, even though I am still finding cattails I can see starvation looming not too far on the horizon.  I need to get these guts cured then get some snares down, and do some fishing. 

I return to the two waterfalls and walk past them, continuing to follow the river. Not long after going under one of the horrible bridges way above me, I see ANOTHER DAMN WOLF! This is getting silly!  I really hate the chicken game, I always get so nervous.  This time…. This time I have good reason...

Just as I am about to take the shot, instead of boom I hear CLICK.  I swear like a sailor… my low condition rifle has jammed and the beast is on me, mauling me with gusto! I have a hatchet on me and I get a good couple of swings on him and he runs away bleeding and yelping.  I quickly bandage myself and put on antiseptic, and with my condition at about three quarters full I feel OK about pursuing him, I know he is going to bleed out.  I follow the trail of blood and his footprints, realise I haven’t been paying attention to where I’m going so hopefully I can find my way out!  Finally I hear his dying yelps and walk around a little bit more until I find him. 

08.thumb.jpg.480926fc4046972425d8c07e71620bc0.jpg

Dead wolfie number FOUR!  That’s the coat taken care of, once the pelts are cured.  This time though I decide to continue on rather than go back, I’m done with going back and forth. I just have to hope I can get somewhere safe to sleep and recover my condition and repair my clothes.

Now, don’t ask me to explain the next part of my route, I have absolutely no idea!  I got completely lost, not recognising anything.  Suddenly I hit a more open area and I am told I have reached Pillar’s Footrest.  Oh for goodness sake, I really didn’t want to do this bit all over again!  Unfortunately I can be rather pig headed so rather than turn back and risk getting totally lost and dying in a blizzard I decide to continue.  I have *absolutely no idea* of how the next part happened, I would never be able to find it again!  Instead of ending up at Stone Shelf Cave, I find myself walking through a very thin path between the high rocks, going under several areas where I had to crouch.  I am sooooo lost!

I pass a deer carcass and this time I take the meat and pelt, I am going to need to eat and I don’t want to reduce the cattail stock too much if I don’t have to.  Hopefully I won’t find a wolf in this maze!  Thankfully all is well, I finally come across a cave and decide now is the time to stop.  It is starting to get late and cold and I must recover my condition and repair my clothes.  So I snuggle into the cave with a fire, cooking the deer meat and eating it with great pleasure.  I love venison.  I also boil some more water to prevent me having to use another match later on, it is best to make use of every minute of a fire, especially when resources are low.  I will repair my clothes in the morning when fully rested to avoid failure and loss of materials (hopefully) so I spend the rest of my time preparing the multitude of rosehips I’ve found, and a few reishi mushrooms at last. 

In the morning I repair my clothing first time, then I get going, even though it is early and cold.  I have to make some progress to somewhere recognisable or with a clear route.  I follow the path to the left of the cave and come across… a bridge! Finally!  Although I really really do not want to do this again, they make me feel sick! The anxiety of being lost is palpable, I am fighting not to hyperventilate…

Again I just need to say... who's stupid idea was this?!! SOCKS YOU MORON!

09.thumb.jpg.e286cc32774ca91e503db73aa9e8bda5.jpg

After the bridge I keep walking and trying to find a discernible route, and come across a really funny find!  A random pair of snow boots stick out of the snow looking like someone is buried on the other end of them!  There is also a cooking pot and some accelerant (hoorah!). 

11.thumb.jpg.d5a5f0dd6213b5828c297003e498ff87.jpg

The sky is darkening rapidly and I am getting increasingly anxious.  I find another deer carcass, thank goodness for all this venison! I worry about wolves but this epic journey is taking it out of me.  I keep walking, trying to be methodical but I really have no idea what’s going on by now.  The view opens up, I seem to have found a small mountain lake of some kind...

12.thumb.jpg.1842de894753dee664f2da9b8a33a747.jpg

Suddenly I stumble across a cave, thank the gods!  I am told I have discovered Climber’s Cave. 

On walking inside I am overjoyed! LOOOOOOOOOT! This fabulous cave has gifted me a sewing kit, a chocolate bar AND AN MRE! Oh what a relief! I can enjoy the venison without the fear of impending starvation.  With night drawing in I light another fire (again relieved I use a torch and one match, this took me six attempts!), cook my dinner and a little bit of water using the two pots I am now carrying. I like it in here, it is cosy and I can look out at the lake.

13.thumb.jpg.7fef02ef1a268bc06e23f73dee0ac312.jpg

• Upvote 2

First thing in the morning I decide to follow my usual method and go left out of the cave.  I always seem to favour going left, no idea why, I’m right handed.  I follow the water and keep walking and gathering a few more precious cattails, even more rosehips (I think they need birth control advice in Ash Canyon).  After a short amount of time I reach… yet another bloody rope.  I sigh.  I’m getting so sick of climbing and the ensuing fatigue.  However, this “feels” like the right way finally, I had wanted to keep going up not down,  so I swallow my annoyance and get climbing.

I reach the top and find yet another deer

(how on earth do they all get up here? Helicopter?)

and harvest the meat.  This time I leave the hide because, you guessed it, I am encumbered. I’m still carrying my rifle and also a spare climbing rope I brought “in case I needed it”, not for one moment guessing I was going on such an epic journey!  It’s just as well I left the hide because I’ve barely gone anywhere and there is ANNNOTHER ROPE. Grumbling and cursing expletives I check my fatigue and decide yes, I need to climb again. I struggle to the top with my stamina at only a quarter and am told I have discovered High Meadow. 

14.thumb.jpg.bf0a890c7a342f4631149482b394dee6.jpg

Looking around I find a campfire and a snow shelter, with some more LOOOOOOT!  There is a snare, a sewing kit, a precious wonderful whetstone (I haven’t got one yet) and a torch.  There is yet another rope but seeing as I’m still lugging this one about I leave it behind.  I’m trying to find the next part of the route when I climb up and nervously look out over the region.  My goodness it is a stunning view! 

15.thumb.jpg.90d5001b1eb445bfdb75f805f15944e6.jpg

But that’s enough, a quick picture and I’m down.  I will never trust crampons that much!

Eventually I locate a small path which worryingly takes me along the outside of the canyon walls, then through some highly claustrophobic thin pathways through the cliffs.  Why do I feel like I’m going the wrong way?  However, I hold my panic down and am rewarded, I soon emerge to reach another rope down, and although it is a loooooong way down I am rewarded with a new place name, Fire Overlook. 

I vaguely remember this spot when I researched the map for my previous two adventures to the gold mine and I know it is on the opposite side of the map, exactly where I wanted to go!  So even though this is one of the most terrifying ropes of all because I have to look down at least a bit, I am finally starting to feel as if I am getting somewhere.

Gulp.... please tell me that isn't going to be me!

17.thumb.jpg.2b5b3997dd1efa6d1066532e1ac287d0.jpg

Finally reaching the end of the rope I check the body (empty, of course it is) and although excited I notice the fog is beginning to roll on in.  However, I am soon rewarded for my persistence.  In the distance I see A HOUSE, AN ACTUAL HOUSE!!! 

18.thumb.jpg.cc3a4b96938e373a046946a469688dbf.jpg

Before going into the house I walk around the back and go to the edge to see where I am…. and down there in the mist, I see…

19.thumb.jpg.5150fbd1b6e6aed513fb8c5072103d30.jpg

The fishing hut!  Thank chuck for that, I have finally, FINALLY come to somewhere I recognise.  And I am also excited to find a place to deploy this spare rope I’ve been carrying all this time, and now my mind fizzes with possibilities and ways I *can* survive the 50 days.  I deploy the rope with a big grin! 😁

There is a coal bin at the back of the house which gives me…. Nothing.  Sigh.  I open the backpack in front of the house.  It is empty too! Insert swearing here.  However when I open the door to the house I immediately realise I have found somewhere special.  Not just because I’ve been on such a ridiculous journey to get here, but it is a really lovely space.  However, I decide that now is the time to depart Great Bear for a while, I am exhausted in real life after all the stress, panic and bubbling anxiety of these few days.

Therefore I allow the save point of entering the house to stand….and I will return tomorrow for the next part of my epic Ash Canyon adventure!

• Upvote 2

Blimey ,you've been busy. Glad to see you in one piece after that mauling and slip up at miners folly.🙂

There's another rope bridge up there which would've been the quicker way to where you are now. But you would've missed that loot if you had gone that way.  That exit you found also  leads to twm.   Pity you couldn't nip in there and up to the summit though but you have some good gear already.   

Enjoy your rest,you've earned it🙂

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Blimey ,you've been busy. Glad to see you in one piece after that mauling and slip up at miners folly.🙂

There's another rope bridge up there which would've been the quicker way to where you are now. But you would've missed that loot if you had gone that way.  That exit you found also  leads to twm.   Pity you couldn't nip in there and up to the summit though but you have some good gear already.   

Enjoy your rest,you've earned it🙂

Thanks chick 🥰

It certainly was an unexpectedly long journey! I'm so bloody minded I *had* to keep going until I felt like I had finally achieved something.  I may be glad I am doing this challenge but I wont be coming back to spend any time here again, it is too stressful trying to find my way around.  Put me in a car and I have excellent sense of direction.  Put me on foot and, well, I will walk around in circles in my own back yard 😁

Yes I wanted leave Ash and grab some bits from TWM, I was sooooo tempeted! But I also don't cheat.  Getting a hacksaw was really very difficult not to go after, that's for sure.  But I am really happy with the gear I've got (and what comes up next 😉)

Lol, I found that rope bridge today.  Facepalm moment!  the worst bit is I almost fell off again in the same place, will I never learn?! 🙄

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

Thanks chick 🥰

It certainly was an unexpectedly long journey! I'm so bloody minded I *had* to keep going until I felt like I had finally achieved something.  I may be glad I am doing this challenge but I wont be coming back to spend any time here again, it is too stressful trying to find my way around.  Put me in a car and I have excellent sense of direction.  Put me on foot and, well, I will walk around in circles in my own back yard 😁

Yes I wanted leave Ash and grab some bits from TWM, I was sooooo tempeted! But I also don't cheat.  Getting a hacksaw was really very difficult not to go after, that's for sure.  But I am really happy with the gear I've got (and what comes up next 😉)

Lol, I found that rope bridge today.  Facepalm moment!  the worst bit is I almost fell off again in the same place, will I never learn?! 🙄

I know how you feel.. I spent a long time going round in circles  in ash. ,but the more I go there the better it is.  I ve grown rather fond of it if I'm honest.. I wouldn't do a snowball though,I just don't have your patience.  

Well I'm glad you didn't fall off again.🙂

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

But you still destroyed it, right?

How’s your Match stockpile looking?

Well, I'm still alive! 😁

Matches are... OK.  I've got enough for about one fire a day, so now I'm entering into the settling in phase, I will be making sure I count them frequently and remember that there aren't any more to be found!

It's a whole different mindset playing snowball style, taking some getting used to!