Similarities between The Long Dark and my everyday life

Roberto Tomba

I've just realized why The Long Dark resonates with me, and with so many people. It's meant to be a representation of a "What if...?" scenario where the world is plunged into deadly cold, and you need to find a way to survive. But, there are things I see in the game that I also find are true in my life:

In the game, I never change my clothes. This is definitely my reality since COVID hit. 

Whenever I enter a new house, one of the first things I do is drink all the water out of the toilet. It's not my fault that I'm thirsty. In the game, it's perfectly acceptable, but for some reason, my friends don't invite me over anymore.

When I look through the cabinets and refrigerator for food, things have largely been picked clean. I have teenagers. I imagine that's also what killed the people in the game.

Edited by Roberto Tomba
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

For me, it's starvation because food prices have skyrocketed (but I'll never shed a pound because life is awful and cruel and will offer NO silver lining to my situation at all). I'm also feeling my mental state suffer tremendously because of the isolation. It's like my very spirit is breaking.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JaySovereign said:

For me, it's starvation because food prices have skyrocketed (but I'll never shed a pound because life is awful and cruel and will offer NO silver lining to my situation at all). I'm also feeling my mental state suffer tremendously because of the isolation. It's like my very spirit is breaking.

Im sorry you're feeling so bad . I can sympathize  with that, I haven't been out in twenty years so I know how isolated you can feel.  It's very frustrating and can be  both physically  and  mentally  draining!  

Do you have someone who you can talk to?  It really does help .  And exercise or a new hobby  are good ways to help beat stress!    

6 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Im sorry you're feeling so bad . I can sympathize  with that, I haven't been out in twenty years so I know how isolated you can feel.  It's very frustrating and can be  both physically  and  mentally  draining!  

Do you have someone who you can talk to?  It really does help .  And exercise or a new hobby  are good ways to help beat stress!    

There is nothing. My gym closed forever and with it left my only hopes of ever getting in shape or having any quality of life. It was all I had left. At least in the game, there's a purpose behind it all, but being as disabled and trapped as I am, I feel like I'm just delaying the inevitable.

1 hour ago, JaySovereign said:

There is nothing. My gym closed forever and with it left my only hopes of ever getting in shape or having any quality of life. It was all I had left. At least in the game, there's a purpose behind it all, but being as disabled and trapped as I am, I feel like I'm just delaying the inevitable.

You don't need a gym!  I'm physically disabled and have pernicious anaemia so I'm not in the best of health. I also suffer with depression !  So I tried Tai chi and it's working wonders!  And I just watched it on ytube .  It really helps me to relax and it's very gentle!  

It's just a matter of what you can do and what  works for you!  

Please don't feel like there's no hope! There is. Nothing lasts forever ,the Pandemic is no different!  And there are a lot of good people out there who are willing to help, so don't be afraid to ask! 

Edited by Leeanda

For me it's a lot of childhood memories camping... things like my dad sending me out around the woods just around our camping site to gather sticks as he chopped wood nearby and then, when I was a little taller, letting me chop smaller pieces of wood using a hatchet identical to the one in the game.  The clothing (mackinaw jackets, various sweaters, plaid shirts and wool mittens are eerily familiar as well... takes me fondly right back to simpler times before cell phones and laptops and other tech.

• Upvote 1