Loot disappearing on reload

yoww89

Since I'm still waiting for a reply in the Technical Discussions forums (funny fact: the forum has been spammed for the last 10 hours with more than 5 pages of topics from the same guy and no action has been taken yet), I wanted to ask you guys my fellow long darkers if you had experience with this issue before.

I went into the cannery workshop (last save), looted the whole place, went out and looted most of the barns, then I had to exit the game for a reason irl. Went back thinking that all I lost was the time to loot it all again, but then the surprise: the containers that had good loot were now empty. The right drawer of the ammo bench had a Hacksaw, a locker inside the workshop had a Fisherman's Sweater and a locker in the first barn on the right had a Wool Longjohns. All gone. I reloaded several times (around 50 x.x) after that to see if it was chance based but every single time those 3 were now empty.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Edited by yoww89

That's pretty normal.  If you exit the game without saving a "looted" area, some of the loot in the containers that contained loot will be empty when you loot the same area a second time.  I'm pretty sure this is intentional to disincentivize save scumming in order to get better loot inside a particular building.  The workaround is to be sure to loot and then exit and re-enter the building (to generate a save that is after the looting took place) before exiting the game.

Edited by UpUpAway95

On 1/27/2022 at 9:10 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

That's pretty normal.  If you exit the game without saving a "looted" area, some of the loot in the containers that contained loot will be empty when you loot the same area a second time.  I'm pretty sure this is intentional to disincentivize save scumming in order to get better loot inside a particular building.  The workaround is to be sure to loot and then exit and re-enter the building (to generate a save that is after the looting took place) before exiting the game.

This.  You can also trigger a save by sleeping or passing time for an hour (if a transition save point isn't close by).