Hone your wolf hunting skills, come to Keeper's Pass South

ChillPlayer

Hi all,

as encouraging as the title seems I am actually not settled yet how I feel about the region. I went there on my Interloper run in the hope that some flare shells are waiting for me in the north but boy was I wrong in my assumption that this will be an easy walk in the park. When I visited the region the first time on Stalker I counted only two wolves around the river area but I didn't pay too much attention to it.

The first surprise was when I reached Mirthless Fork and was greeted by a wolf hunting a rabbit - I didn't expect any wolves up there and the encounter ended in a knife fight. Next I formulated a plan to deal with the two wolves down on the frozen river. I took the shortcut with the climbing section, goated over to the cliffs and lured the first beast with a stone to me, an arrow did the rest. While the other wolf was running away I quickly harvested a piece of meat and climbed back on the cliff thanks to the convenientely placed fallen tree. While crouching the wolf came around the cliff following the scent of the meat, I dropped the meat and when it walked away, shot it with another arrow in the back and it ran away bleeding.

Okay great I thought, all wolves are gone now. I finished harvesting the first, cooked the meat and went back to the trailer. The next day I wanted to search for the other two carcasses, this time following the road. I had some wolf meat on me and when I reached the middle of the curve after a bridge I noticed another wolf coming towards me, and then another one - woot? With no time to react I could only scare them away with a shot from my flaregun and then run or hide. After they went off I noticed some rocks on the right side which I could climb up and which seemed unreachable for the wolves. So I waited until they returned and repeated the game of packing/unpacking the meat, eventually I shot them both too, 5 wolves down in total.

I continued my search for the two carcasses from the previous day which fortunately were quite close to each other, after another barbecue session I returned back to the trailer. But wait, why do I hear another wolf hauling? Sureley this cannot be, I explored the road from the Fork to the collapsed tunnel two days before and there were no wolves there. So I tossed the meat into the car trunk and cautiously went into the direction of the tunnel where, lo and behold, another wolf was strolling around. There was a rather large rock on the right which I could climb up, lured the beast with stones to me and this was the end of number 6.

So, finally I could relax and plan my trip to the north pass. After a few days rest and some arrow crafting I figured I could need some wood in case I'd need to sleep in the Hermitage. I went around the trailer and wanted to forage some pallets when suddenly I heared a rabbit screaming followed by a wolf's cry of fear comming from the corner of the road leading to PV, before it luckily ran away from me. What the actual frack is going on, another one? I was already in full Commando mode and decided to go after number 7 once the blizzard calms down - but it was no where to be found anymore.

I didn't hear any wolf hauling for the next few days and eventually went to the north to fetch the shells. Long story short, thanks to another goatable rock I dealt with the wolf near the bridge, harvested it and went for the shells - but there were none, the case only contained the flaregun but no shell. And to make matters worse, I didn't pay enough attention and my hypothermia risk turned into full blown hypothermia, which I slept off in the Hermitage and the transition cave.

I returned to the trailer and are ready now to leave this god forsaken place for good, with a net gain of -1 flaregun shells and lot's of excitement I wasn't really looking for. Fortunately my bow skill was already at 5 which made the lure&shoot part much easier and although there are many wolves in the area they also tend to be around places only reachable by the player.

I seriously question though the "steadiness" of the area, it seems as there would be a rift between worlds where wolves just pour in after some were shot. I am pretty sure that on my first two days there were only three wolves, after all I lured two to me with my smelly scent and there were always just two coming. I completely explored the area by the tunnel and there was no wolf and there was certainly no wolf on the road from PV when I entered the region.

Has anyone else experienced something similar in Keeper's Pass South? All in all I've spent maybe 7-8 days in there, not long enough on Interloper to explain the increase of wolves from 3 to 7 with respawn times. I wonder if the region would've gotten filled up with wolves also if I hadn't killed some before. But going through the memories while writing this post I came to the conclusion that after all this is the worst place I've ever stayed, yes even worse than BI. Not only because of wolves but also because the weather seems to be tied to BRM, meaning many blizzards or - on a good day - freezing winds with rarely a chance to keep a fire going for more than 2-3 hours. Keeper's South is no keeper for me, I will probably never visit this region again.

I don't have experience in Keeper's Pass on Interloper, but what you describe matches my experience on Stalker. It's wolves to no end. 

I preferred passing through that area during blizzards, because it (used to be) wolf safe.

Now playing on IL in BLKRK, I get wolfed during blizzards. WTF ?

-t