Mods for more realism

Kranium

I think it's time to check out modding this game. What I'm interested in is anything to make it more realistic. I saw on reddit that there's a candle mod now, I will likely try that. Is there one that changes decay rates, for example? (Many of them are wildly unrealistic!)

I normally play Stalker or Interloper; currently doing another Interloper run to get the "Will to Live" achievement, I didn't realize until the holidays just passed that I hadn't played any one save beyond 300 games (I find it gets too grindy-boring-easy after a certain point, and just quit then start anew). I think I'll do a custom run with mods, never tried that yet, haven't even looked at those settings.

• Upvote 1

@Kranium, there are a boat load of mods available that will do what you are looking for.  From candles to carvings, foods, friendly pets to blankets and binoculars.
You wanna tinker with decay rates and animal behavior mechanics too?  There are some great mods available to you!

If you're looking for immersion that's lore friendly, yes indeed, they have that too!  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 11:43 PM, Kranium said:

I think it's time to check out modding this game. What I'm interested in is anything to make it more realistic. I saw on reddit that there's a candle mod now, I will likely try that. Is there one that changes decay rates, for example? (Many of them are wildly unrealistic!)

I normally play Stalker or Interloper; currently doing another Interloper run to get the "Will to Live" achievement, I didn't realize until the holidays just passed that I hadn't played any one save beyond 300 games (I find it gets too grindy-boring-easy after a certain point, and just quit then start anew). I think I'll do a custom run with mods, never tried that yet, haven't even looked at those settings.

im in middle of stalker run now but gonna try mods and start custom run after stalker.
just curious how you would put your game towards more realistic?
i guess that i will keep the original idea of apocalypse in place but just try to tweak game more slow and a bit more relax.
main threat would be maybe coldness and storms.

I revived an old Stalker run to try some mods. I love the de-clutter one, and the one that gives you more control over object placement. Another one improves ambient lighting inside. (I hate how you can be in a room with multiple windows on a sunny afternoon yet still need a light to look around, not realistic at all) I am also trying one which changes decay rates, which adds to the realism. I've yet to meet an unopened can of beans which goes bad anywhere nearly as quick as this game, and the tool decay is ludicrous. I'm still using tools left from my grandfather here on the farm, hatchet & prybar included.

The above, so far, feels like a big improvement towards realism, and making things more of a slow burn.

1 hour ago, Kranium said:

I revived an old Stalker run to try some mods. I love the de-clutter one, and the one that gives you more control over object placement. Another one improves ambient lighting inside. (I hate how you can be in a room with multiple windows on a sunny afternoon yet still need a light to look around, not realistic at all) I am also trying one which changes decay rates, which adds to the realism. I've yet to meet an unopened can of beans which goes bad anywhere nearly as quick as this game, and the tool decay is ludicrous. I'm still using tools left from my grandfather here on the farm, hatchet & prybar included.

The above, so far, feels like a big improvement towards realism, and making things more of a slow burn.

De-clutter has to be one of my most favorite new mods now.  I love the fact that I can finally pick up all that paper trash lying on the floor of my home base!

I haven't tried tinkering with the decay rate mod yet.  What's your take on that one?  

On 2/3/2022 at 3:31 PM, piddy3825 said:

De-clutter has to be one of my most favorite new mods now.  I love the fact that I can finally pick up all that paper trash lying on the floor of my home base!

I haven't tried tinkering with the decay rate mod yet.  What's your take on that one?  

My personal take on it is it would be a LOT better if it were more granular. It applies blanket a modifier to all ambient decay rates, so if you set it to 0.1, everything decays 10x slower. You can use more advanced sliders to control the decay rates of specific tools when used, but everything else like food and clothing is all lumped together. And you can't apply different rates to indoors vs. outdoors. I'd like to be able to do things like set clothing to never decay when left indoors. But if worn, or just sitting there outside exposed to the elements, it should decay. But sadly no, it's all or nothing.

In its current state yeah, you can at least use it to make some decay a bit more sensible. Like a whetstone doesn't just crumble to dust after an hour and a half sharpening hatchets.

So I apparently am blind as a bat because there is an option to granularly control that stuff... I'm not sure if I somehow just completely missed it, or if the mod was updated to add that in.

Edited by ajb1978
I'm a blind idiot.

32 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

My personal take on it is it would be a LOT better if it were more granular. It applies blanket a modifier to all ambient decay rates, so if you set it to 0.1, everything decays 10x slower. You can use more advanced sliders to control the decay rates of specific tools when used, but everything else like food and clothing is all lumped together. And you can't apply different rates to indoors vs. outdoors. I'd like to be able to do things like set clothing to never decay when left indoors. But if worn, or just sitting there outside exposed to the elements, it should decay. But sadly no, it's all or nothing.

In its current state yeah, you can at least use it to make some decay a bit more sensible. Like a whetstone doesn't just crumble to dust after an hour and a half sharpening hatchets.

ah yes, the inequities of the all or nothing approach does appear to put a little bit of a dampener on this potentially promising mod.  
I complelely agree with your suggestions regarding different decay rates of items left outside vs. being stored inside.  
I still got dress socks in my underwear draw that l got back in 1990 and they hardly look worn.  I even got a couple of pairs of brand new jeans in my closet with the price tags still on them that my wife bought for me just a few days before she passed away in 2005.  I still hang on to them, thinking that one day I'll drop a few pounds and maybe they will fit, lol.  And just in case you're interested, my whetstone is almost 60 years old and although the plastic case is brittle cracked and yellow with age, I still sharpen my fillet knife and camp axe to fine razor like edge when I use it.  

13 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

ah yes, the inequities of the all or nothing approach does appear to put a little bit of a dampener on this potentially promising mod.  
I complelely agree with your suggestions regarding different decay rates of items left outside vs. being stored inside.  
I still got dress socks in my underwear draw that l got back in 1990 and they hardly look worn.  I even got a couple of pairs of brand new jeans in my closet with the price tags still on them that my wife bought for me just a few days before she passed away in 2005.  I still hang on to them, thinking that one day I'll drop a few pounds and maybe they will fit, lol.  And just in case you're interested, my whetstone is almost 60 years old and although the plastic case is brittle cracked and yellow with age, I still sharpen my fillet knife and camp axe to fine razor like edge when I use it.  

So I'm not sure if I'm blind, or if this was added after I last spent time really looking at the mod configuration menu, but there ARE now options to granularly control stuff. "Advanced Gear Decay Modifiers" opens up sliders to control clothing, quarter bags, bedrolls, and food. And Food has a sub-menu that further expands it to control decay rates of raw meat, cooked meat, packaged food, and packaged food that's been opened.

Soooo...I guess Christmas came early this year?  

32 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

So I'm not sure if I'm blind, or if this was added after I last spent time really looking at the mod configuration menu, but there ARE now options to granularly control stuff. "Advanced Gear Decay Modifiers" opens up sliders to control clothing, quarter bags, bedrolls, and food. And Food has a sub-menu that further expands it to control decay rates of raw meat, cooked meat, packaged food, and packaged food that's been opened.

Soooo...I guess Christmas came early this year?  

Indeed?  In that case, Christmas is early!   
Thanks for going back and checking out the mod in greater detail. 
It definitely looks a lot more promising knowing that a player has so many more options now.