A new beginning...

ManicManiac

After my unexpectedly long time away (from being able to play games in general)...  I'm finally able to find a little time to escape back to the dangerous beauty of Great Bear Island.  I decided on a Stalker run this time around (with a random starting point). 

As I came to... it didn't take me long to realize I was in Mystery Lake.  It's been a while since I'd been back to the original region, and it always feel like home to me.  I knew I'd more or less have a good chance of finding what I need to get my feet under me in a fairly short time.  I had stated out near the river's "southern" access and was able to get around to the lakeshore cabins to begin gathering up whatever I could find.  There wasn't much by way of clothes or tools... but I did find some food and good bit of firewood (including two firelogs) to get me started.

I had to avoid the bear that was skulking out on the lake (he'd even started stalking me over by the lone cabin nearest his den), but I was able to follow the shore all the way around and use the lake trail to get over to the Camp Office (there were some wolves prowling around between the fishing hut and the lake shore nearest the camp office so I took the long way around).  With what I found in the Camp Office, I knew I be okay on food the next couple of days... but water was another matter.  I found enough soda to keep my thirst at bay for the night, but I'd need to start melding snow fairly soon.

The following day, I knew I needed to start venturing out fairly quickly in search of more clothing... that was my most pressing need at the moment.  I was able to make it over to clear cut, and onward to the Logging Camp.  I'd found a few more clothing items, but still no head coverings... frost bite on my ears was beginning to be a real possibility.  I had to rest for a while in the beds (mainly just to try and warm up).  Unfortunately, as I was resting a blizzard had moved in.  It was already getting on towards evening, and I didn't want to just wait out the night.  I decided to chance the storm (hoping that the wildlife would be hunkered down too) and struck out into the storm trying to keep my bearings.  The hope was to find my way back to the Camp Office before frostbite set in.  The trip was a bit harrowing, but I made it back safely.

I'd found a cooking pot there in the Camp Office, so I opted to use that and a recycled can I found to get a few days water prepared.  I decided to use an accelerant I'd found, since I didn't have a torch yet.  I didn't want to risk any matches unnecessarily.  Soon the fire was roaring and fed well with the two firelogs and the sticks I was able to pick up along the way.  This was a heck of a start... but it's great to be back on Great Bear Island.

The following morning, I was able to get to the Trapper's Homestead.  I was hoping to find a rifle, but instead... I was confounded when I found a pair of Insulated Boots as well as a pair of Mukluks.  The Mukluks were a little worse for wear (about 60%)... but even if they were in perfect shape, the Insulated Boots would have still been a bit warmer (and those were at 94%).  So I packed the Mukluks to take with me and put on the Insulated Boots.

From there I waited in bed to warm up a while and then went for the Lonely Cabin just past Unnamed Pond, but I had to be careful... there was another bear ambling around on the pond.  I was able to stop off at the cabin and search around the area (making as far as the lookout up on the hillside)... I was hoping to find a preper cache, but no luck.  I was able to get back to the Logging Camp and onward to the Train Loading Area before having to head up to the Lake Overlook.  I'd found some good supplies, and even managed to find a beat up Cotton Toque.  It wasn't much but at least I could defend against my risk of frostbite.

I spent another night at the Camp Office sorting out the gear and supplies I'd picked up, and managed to get some more water prepared.  What confounds me is that the cooking pot I'd found at the Trapper's Homestead has gone missing from my pack... and I also found that at least four recycled cans I'd stashed in the bottom drawer of the filing cabinet down stairs were missing as well.  I found this more than a bit distressing.

The next day I went back to Trapper's Homestead to double check... the cooking pot is just gone. 
(I took some note and reported it to Hinterland via their Support Portal)

The next few days, I spent trying to get to as many locations as I could.  I found a rifle over at the Train Derailment.  I found a Mackinaw Jacket over in the Carder Dam.  It was so over by the dam that I had my first really close call.  I was making my way out with a pack full of gear and supplies (very nearly too encumbered to run) and as I started across the small railway bridge a wolf started tailing me.  I opted to head down towards the river but quickly noticed a moose was also milling about the area.  This was not good... I knew there was a good chance I might either bet chewed on, or trampled.  I decided to risk it and hope that I could wander close enough to the moose to get the wolf off my trail, but far enough as to not upset it.  Though I quickly found out, I had misjudged the distance.  The moose had turned and threatened a charge... I was already running back up the shallow slope towards the tracks.  The wolf had indeed gotten scared off... but instead I a charging moose to deal with.  There was no way I was going to run fast enough with all this gear in my pack... I made a risky bet.  I looped around a tree that was rooting part way up the slope and tried to shield myself between the tree then hillside.

This is a gamble I generally would never take... but by some amazing luck, it worked!

The moose slammed the tree, but couldn't quite get to me... quickly got frustrated, turned and ran off back to the river where it had been grazing before I disturbed it.  I was frankly amazed at my food fortune, and I opted not to press my luck any further that day.  I just took the safest route back to the Camp Office.

During the following couple of days, I'd been able to fully explore the dam.  I'd also managed finally find the prepper's cache... it was the last likely place to find it too.  I ended up finding it up the steep slopes above the "Southern" River access (also above the Mystery Lake Bear's den and overlooking the area by Allan's' Cave and the Hunting Stand).  This cache was a real find.  I think it was a tools cache... but I also found a revolver and an a good amount of ammo for it there too.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
This has been a thrilling and wonderful start to this run.
I'm hoping I will be able to maintain time on the weekends to keep the run going.
And now that I'm done chronicling last weekend's session... I think I'm going to start this weekend's session now. :D

• Like 3

Since I was doing okay on clothing (the best of which having two Wool Tuques, Wool Ear Wrap,  Mackinaw, Ski jacket, two Wool Shirts, a pair of Cargo Pants, a pair of Wool Long Johns, a pair of Wool Socks, and Insulated Boots), so I decided it was about time to start bolstering my food supply by hunting.  I figured I would just start with rabbits so I could build up the seven pelts I would need for a set of Rabbitskin Mittens and a Rabbitskin Hat.

Over the next couple of days, I explored a few more areas (such as the ruined Dead Fall cabin and the Destroyed Lookout)... though I didn't find much more than a little bit of food and some firewood.  I was also able to snare a couple of rabbits and caught a few more by hand.  I also had a great opportunity that I was able to make good on.  When I was in the clearing (just across from the Camp Office, on the other side of the railroad tracks), I inadvertently spooked a couple of deer.  One of which ran afoul of a nearby wolf.  I used some stones I had in my pocket, to run the wolf off the kill, and was able to slowly harvest up the deer without issue.

During this time, I did get stuck waiting out a blizzard.  However I had enough firewood to build up a good stock of fresh water, and brew up some teas and coffee (putting me at Cooking Level 2 - my first skills increase for the run).

I'm at about day 13/14 in this run, and I've gotten a fair bit accomplished so far.  I'm considering a trip through Winding River to start foraging my way across Pleasant Valley.  I've also been considering going out to find (and harvest) the deer carcasses that I've come across.  I'm not sure which to do first... try to gather up the pelts I need for rabbit and deer skin clothing, or to head out to Pleasant Valley to try to find better quality manmade clothing.  I suppose I'll have to think on it some more.

I eventually decided to make the run up to Signal Hill.  I knew I needed some warmer clothing, and that seemed a good place to branch out and start looking.  I decided to take the "back way" through the cave at the end of Winding River.  From there I stopped by Hilltop Cave and the nearby Hunter's Blind.   I'd decided to bring a few days food and water in case I got snowed in by a blizzard, but I knew I'd be likely to more food on the way.  I even happened upon another sleeping bag while navigating through the cave leading to Pleasant Valley.

I quickly found my way to the road leading directly up to Signal Hill, but I guess I wasn't keeping a sharp enough lookout.  It wasn't long before I was being stalked by a wolf.  All I had was rocks in my pocket, so I wasn't keen to try to stand my ground and run it off.  Instead, I opted to keep on walking as quickly as I could, heading straight for Signal Hill.  I had to hope I didn't run into a bear along the way... though honestly, trading a wolf for a bear stalking me would admittedly be more manageable.

I made it to Signal Hill without issue, and thankfully with out a bear to complicate matters.  I was able to slip inside and escape the wolf that was pursuing me.  I searched though the Radio Hut (finding another revolver, some more rifle ammo, and luckily a pair of Snow Pants & an Expedition Parka).  This was definitely worth the trip.  I debated whether to head down to the Farmstead, and maybe Thompson's Crossing... but instead I decided to head back to the Camp Office in Mystery Lake.  I had a good haul and some much warmer clothing.  I thought perhaps it would be best to return and regroup before deciding how far I wanted to venture out.

The return trip was peaceful.  The weather was holding up nicely, and the only wolf I had to be careful of was chewing on a rabbit near the shallow cave that I went to check out before getting back to the cave that would lead back to Winding River.

In the cave I really didn't pick up more than a piece or two of coal.  I was already pretty weighed down, and this really wasn't a trip with that in mind.  Along the way back through Winding River, I ended up finding two more arrows near deer carcasses (bringing the total number of arrows I have to four).  I feel good about using them to maybe start hunting... but I'll have to think on that some more.  I'm already doing fairly well on found food, rabbits, and deer carcasses.  Not to mention I could start really bolstering my food supply by fishing on Mystery Lake.

When I got back to the Camp Office, I spent a couple days gathering more sticks.  I also bagged one more rabbit (so I would have all the rabbit pelts I needed to start on a set of mittens and a hat - later on).  There was a blizzard that blew through, but I spent that day just cooking up my rabbit and venison.

I'm already mulling over the idea of making my way up to the Mountaineer's Hut as the base of Timberwolf Mountain.  Barring any really terrible weather, I'm kitted out to be able to go pretty much anywhere I choose.  Part of me really want's to get settled into the Mountaineer's Hut and begin working my way up to the summit... but the other part kind of wants to take it slow and explore around from place to place before "heading home" to Timberwolf Mountain.

I suppose I'll have to think on it some more.

I know I don't want to start homesteading this early... I suppose no matter which way I decide to go, I'm going to have to square things away at the Camp Office and close it up.  Otherwise, I'll be temped to just stay here (which I don't really want to do either).  With so much of the Island that I've not even visited yet on this run... I think I really will have to force myself to stay on the move.

I suppose I could just bring the bow and arrow (though the bow isn't in great shape ~23%), and I guess that would at least give me a hunting option.  Though to be honest, I know I can get by just fine with some rocks and a hunting knife... so maybe it would better to just head out with my "bare essentials kit" and just see what I find while setting up encampments in each region as I make my way through all of Great Bear Island.

After spending some time to get things reorganized and think things over some more, I decided start roaming way across Great Bear Island.  I don't have a particular plan for this.  I think I will just keep to my bare essentials kit, and live on what I find along the way.  I know I don't want to stay long in any one location, though I may gather up resources to set up encampments to return to later.

I paired down my pack and set out for Coastal Highway.

The first leg of the trip was a bit more eventful than usual this morning.  When I stepped off the porch of the Camp Office and went out to the train tracks, I had to get low very quickly.  Three wolves were prowling in very close proximity between the Derailment and the tracks in front of the Camp Office.  It has been literal years since I've had wolves skulking around that area.  However, if they were concentrated this far up the tracks, then I figured the way would likely be clear the rest of the way to the Carter Dam.  I had to stay low and stick close to the hillside on the other side of the tracks.

Waiting for the wolves to wander a little further a way, I as able to sneak by unnoticed.  I was able to make my way up to the trail leading up to the Forestry Lookout, but here I decided to follow the slope and come back down on the other side the derailment.  Sure enough, the way was clear all the way to the small bridge just before the dam.  I did also have to use myself as bait to lure away a wolf who was prowling near the trailers.  Though the wolf seemed to have a bit of hard time maneuvering around the railcar.  Rather than coming onto the bridge it seemed to want head across between river banks to come around behind me.  I took that opportunity to head straight for Raven Falls Ravine.

It was early in the afternoon by the time I made it to the Ravine, so I know I'd probably at least want to spend the night there.  I took the opportunity to harvest a ravaged deer carcass and gather up surprising amount of birch bark.  I also went back around to follow the tracks to search the railroad cars.  I found a Jerrycan and the climbing rope.  I was relieved to know I could use that rope to climb down in the Ravine some time later on.  I deployed the rope and stashed the lantern fuel in the shallow cave that was near by.  By this time it was getting dark, so I spent the rest of the evening cooking venison, preparing more water, and organizing what I was planning to drop off and leave behind.

Up until this point I'd been living risky, and stuck to eating only my worst condition food; storing and saving all the best condition food for later down the line (I've been lucky, no food poisoning so far).  However, tonight... I decided to have some (relatively) fresh venison.  :D  It made for the best quality (and likely best tasting) meal I've had so far on this run.

Tomorrow, I'll finish making my way through the upper part of the ravine and make my way into Coastal Highway.

4 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I had to stay low and stick close to the hillside on the other side of the tracks.

If the goal was to get to the dam, why not take the "high road" over the central peak? I always take that way to avoid "the packs on the tracks"...

After marching heavy (and never losing Well Fed once achieved!) for 500+ days, I think I'm ready to try something a little more like what you seem to be doing...traveling light and living off what you find, leaving stashes behind.

• Like 1

@straffin

Generally I would take the way through the woods up near Lake Overlook, just as you mentioned (and it's the way I often take when I don't know whether the tracks are clear or not).  However those three wolves where far enough from the clearing (that leads to the path for the Forestry Lookout) that I just decided to see if I could crouch and sneak by.  Also, taking this route also gave me an easy vantage around the corner from the Derailment.  If the way hadn't been clear, then I would have just kept to the stop of slope all the way past the Train Loading Area.

I tend to favor traveling light.  It lets me gather more resources while out and about.
I've managed to pare down my list of "essentials" so my pack weighs less that 20 kg (usually between 17-19, and sometimes even less depending on what I have to work with).

Generally speaking, my Essentials Kit would consist of:
Whatever clothing I'm wearing
1 standard bedroll (mostly for emergency stopovers in caves/shelters when I just can't make it to the next bed)
2L of water (which for me is a comfortable night's sleep and plenty of water for the next day)
1 night's "stopover" food (bare minimum to get a good night's sleep - used only as last resort)
1 bandage
3 unprocessed lichen (as they are "lightest" when not crafted into wound dressing)
1 knife (mostly just for defense in case of a wolf struggle)
1 pack of cardboard matches
1 torch (to make best use of said cardboard matches)
***Optional, but ideal***
1 piece of emergency coal
1 fire striker (as emergency backup in case I absent mindedly use my last match, and to enable ignition source selection for lighting aforementioned torch)
1 magnifying glass (to take advantage of clear skies for "free" fire)
1 lantern (fully fueled when possible)
1 set of fishing tackle (for emergency repairs or fishing)
1 pry bar
1 recycled can

My essentials kit does vary of course based on what I've managed to find (so end weight does fluctuate a bit), but this is generally my ideal setup for roaming.  Anything else I may need is always sourced from whatever region I happen to find myself in, and stored at whatever encampments (or stopover points) I setup (documented in my journal).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

More unexpected real-life stuff happening.
I've not really had much time to get a session in lately.  I'm hoping to be able to get back to it soon, but it's hard to say.
Might also be a good time to play episode 4...  Just kind of sit back and enjoy the new chapter of the story.

• 2 weeks later...