After Disclaimer Screen Just A Black Screen - Game Won't Start PC

xAnAngelOfDeathx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello.

Yesterday waiting for the new version. I've played TLD. Immediately after updating the game, I only see a black screen.

I checked the integrity of the files. No errors found. I have performed this procedure twice.

The game worked flawlessly and stopped working immediately after the update. What could be the reason?

I apologize for the irregular forms of verbs and declensions. I use Google Translate for communication.

24 minutes ago, Hawk said:

If you're running Win 7, this might the issue you have.

Yea, im running Win 7 x64.

Thank you for the attached link to the article. From the article, I realized that the problem is global in scope. Not local. Let's hope and wait that the problem will be resolved as soon as possible.

Edited by Tradus

11 hours ago, Hawk said:

I just updated TLD to 1.95 and also got the black screen at start-up, after the initial load screen. All I did was rename the intro_cards.mp4 file (found in the StreamingAssets/Video/Windows folder, as described in the troubleshooting link I gave in my previous post) to intro_cards-hold.mp4 and that solved the issue, at least for Survival mode.

I can't test this for Story mode since I haven't played Eps. 1, 2, or 3, so I can't  try to load Ep. 4

Not sure if this is of any help to anyone or not. Just posting my experience.

I tried it but it didn't work for me.

15 hours ago, Hawk said:

I just updated TLD to 1.95 and also got the black screen at start-up, after the initial load screen. All I did was rename the intro_cards.mp4 file (found in the StreamingAssets/Video/Windows folder, as described in the troubleshooting link I gave in my previous post) to intro_cards-hold.mp4 and that solved the issue, at least for Survival mode.

I can't test this for Story mode since I haven't played Eps. 1, 2, or 3, so I can't  try to load Ep. 4

Not sure if this is of any help to anyone or not. Just posting my experience.

in my case, i can play survival mode with this solution but episode 4 still stuck at black screen.

22 hours ago, Hawk said:

I finally, actually read the troubleshooting tip HL gave for this issue at this link - https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408005055636-Windows-7-Black-Screen-After-Disclaimer-or-Starting-WINTERMUTE-Episodes

It seems to me, based on what I read there, that deleting all the mp4 files isn't what HL is saying. It specifically states

To me that's not saying delete all mp4 files but only the one or the three in that folder. It doesn't say anything about deleting all files and folders. Just the files.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding this.

They haven't worded it well for a start.  I thought the same as you initially, to just delete the files (not folders).  After speaking to support though, i can say that they mean all files and folders (for Wintermute).

The problem being, if you don't delete the folders (when playing Wintermute at least) then you are just delaying the black screen until a cutscene tries to play.  Just deleting the one file is fine for Survival as that is the only one that tries to play in Survival.

Edited by Puddy

It's possible that converting the video files to VP8 will make everything work, or so I read in another thread. I'm heading out for the next 2 days so I can't test it. Perhaps someone may want to try. (I'd make a copy of everything to work with, so if it makes things worse one can simply put the original folder/files back)