If you can only take 1 thing per building

Lumiiyx

This applies to enclosed buildings that increase warmth as a cool little challenge and general curiosity. What would be your 5 must haves and why.

I would want metal for arrowheads and knife/hatchet

Magnifying glass for a way to light fires on clear  days

Crowbar. Weapon and open up lockers

Cloth. For repairing and such

A pot. Cuz a can doesn't cut it.

4 minutes ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Sorry but that makes no sense. All items are necessary. It’s like saying “if you could only have food, fire, water or shelter” which would it be. 
 It’s survival. There are multiple aspects. 

It's called a challenge and it's for fun? But yes, treat it  seriously like it's not just a game.  Besides you don't need to grab every little thing, when you can fully loot caves, fishing huts and ruined buildings. But seems as though you missed the point. Ah well.

1 hour ago, LumiStylesTTV said:

It's called a challenge and it's for fun? But yes, treat it  seriously like it's not just a game.  Besides you don't need to grab every little thing, when you can fully loot caves, fishing huts and ruined buildings. But seems as though you missed the point. Ah well.

No i got the point. The point is just nonsensical is all. It’s survival. If you take just ONE thing from a house then it’s very blatantly simple- you take the one thing you need the most at that time depending on your survival requirements. 
  I mean...  really.  You are trying to create a dilemma when there isn’t one because it’s Basic...Fundamental....Survival.... strategy. 

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark

It depends a lot of Starting Gear and Baseline Resources.  The standard interloper run usually focuses on acquiring matches first, then a toque and gloves, then a bedroll, then a heavy hammer (all the while just trying to keep enough food, water, and wood on hand to stay alive).  I would put the No. 5 item in as a hacksaw.

18 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

It depends a lot of Starting Gear and Baseline Resources.  The standard interloper run usually focuses on acquiring matches first, then a toque and gloves, then a bedroll, then a heavy hammer (all the while just trying to keep enough food, water, and wood on hand to stay alive).  I would put the No. 5 item in as a hacksaw.

I haven't worked up the nerve to play interloper. I do a custom that is close to it. But I doubt it would be feasible to try. On the other ones though. I tried it last  night and going well so far. I was able to get one thing on my wishlist. Now I am at Trappers killing rabbits for a hatlol.

22 minutes ago, LumiStylesTTV said:

I haven't worked up the nerve to play interloper. I do a custom that is close to it. But I doubt it would be feasible to try. On the other ones though. I tried it last  night and going well so far. I was able to get one thing on my wishlist. Now I am at Trappers killing rabbits for a hatlol.

No worries... just weighing in with one of my lists of priorities.  I'm absolutely not an elitist when it comes to difficulty levels, although some people here do seem to be.  My list of priorities changes with each run.  If, say, I start a custom with no animals, the heavy hammer is not a priority at all, since there is 0 use for arrowheads in that "vegetarian" type of game regardless of what baseline resources and starting gear are in play.  It can still be a fairly hard challenge... setting the weather to brutal (with no possibility for a bear skin anything) and the plants to Low and it makes the world feel much lonelier.  In that case... sewing kits easily make the 5-item list.  They're like gold because there is a very limited supply of guts in the game (just what's available from the prop deer/wolf carcasses).

That's what I love about this game... by changing individual parameters, it is possible to completely change the nature of the challenges involved and change the list of priority items needed for survival.

Edited by UpUpAway95

7 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

No worries... just weighing in with one of my lists of priorities.  I'm absolutely not an elitist when it comes to difficulty levels, although some people here do seem to be.  My list of priorities changes with each run.  If, say, I start a custom with no animals, the heavy hammer is not a priority at all, since there is 0 use for arrowheads in that "vegetarian" type of game regardless of what baseline resources and starting gear are in play.  It can still be a fairly hard challenge... setting the weather to brutal (with no possibility for a bear skin anything) and the plants to Low and it makes the world feel much lonelier.  In that case... sewing kits easily make the 5-item list.  They're like gold because there is a very limited supply of guts in the game (just what's available from the prop deer/wolf carcasses).

That's what I love about this game... by changing individual parameters, it is possible to completely change the nature of the challenges involved and change the list of priority items needed for survival.

Exactly, I figure a normal run, I'd want a Top 5 must haves and it's completely doable to survive.  I love challenges outside of the normal Interloper outerloper runs.  I still find the items are just too plentiful after awhile haha. The vegetarian one sounds interesting. Each time I do a custom run I make it more and more impossible.  That's where the fun is (for me). If I am fully warm from the clothing, got lots of food, I'm like welll time to start a new one. Then I just find a nice cliff and byeeeeeeee.

• 4 weeks later...