Big fan saying hi

gamesitwatch

Hi! I've been playing The Long Dark extensively for a while, and consider it to be my favourite game of all time. Having played video games for almost 40 years, I'd say that's quite the achievement.

I started playing years ago when Wintermute dropped, played the story mode on default settings, although I never actually completed episode 1. After completing the Grey Mother tasks, I decided to jump into the ultimate challenge everyone was talking about: interloper...

I didn't now any of the maps other than Milton which was of no help to me of course, having started my "run" in Pleasant Valley. I somehow found the farmhouse, looted the barn, "stoned", cooked and eaten my first rabbits and I thought, I got this! The Radio tower was still tempting me, so I set out on a trip one morning, trying to find a way up. Wanted to travel light, so I voted no on bringing any wood. The fog started descending into the valley immediately, but I pushed forward confidently (as long as I keep going higher I should be alright, right?), until...

I'll never forget the terror of hearing that bark, but not having the ability to see where it's coming from. I turned around, walking from one tree to the next, not knowing what direction I'm going. The fog became so dense, I felt like I'm walking in milk. I reached the road, but I had a choice to make: do I turn left, or right? I thought the farm is still to the left, and the wolf seemed to come from the right anyway, so I picked left. A minute later I already knew I made the wrong choice, but I hoped I can find some kind of shelter if I just stick to the road. I lost the wolf somehow, but I was afraid of going back and run into him again. Not knowing that I could possibly warm up by sleeping in the stranded car I left behind near the Long Curve, I was desperately soldiering on, still believing that the road will take me to safety. Instead, it took me to a frozen corpse, calmly sitting forever, right next to a bunch of large rocks blocking my way. I knew there's no going back. I staggered towards the dead body and sat down next to it, just in time to take a last tired look at my hauntingly beautiful surroundings before I faded into the long dark. I froze to death there, having survived almost exactly one week. (6 days, 23 hours, 57 minutes to be precise.) I was dead, but also proud of making it that far, and I was certainly hooked for life.

I'm writing this on the 166th day of my latest interloper run, sitting pretty on a large pile of food, water, tools and other resources at Trapper's. Life is good right now, although Cabin Fever is starting to whisper in my ears again: go, there's more to explore, just go! I think it's time to head back to Milton for the first time since the crash...

vlcsnap-2021-01-13-10h34m39s386.png