Spent fire

R0ughHab1tz

11 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

IRL, fires do not generate coal; they generate charcoal... as they also do in game.

Ok ok specifics aside 😂. Maybe I should play this game for a little longer before suggesting things. I'm only on the story mode at the moment and it has never given me anything. 

I'm on the switch version though so I'm really hoping with how long this game has been out that there's no difference in versions.

17 minutes ago, R0ughHab1tz said:

Ok ok specifics aside 😂. Maybe I should play this game for a little longer before suggesting things. I'm only on the story mode at the moment and it has never given me anything. 

I'm on the switch version though so I'm really hoping with how long this game has been out that there's no difference in versions.

To obtain charcoal from a burned out fire, you have to open the save interface as you use to start a fire... only then it will also show an option to take charcoal from the fire.  The use for charcoal in the game is to create your map, so I'm pretty sure that it is available in the Switch version.  I wouldn't mind seeing an additional use for charcoal... perhaps to extend the duration of low temp "cooking" fires, which is more like what it does IRL.

ETA:  I should also add that most of the burned out fires you just find in the game will not give you any charcoal (they used to, but Hinterland seems to have eliminated it from those fires).  You can restart the fire and use it...and then you'll be able to obtain charcoal from them as well.

The principle use for coal in low-difficulty runs is for forging since only coal will allow the forge to get up to the needed temperature.  In high-difficulty runs (where the fire temperature doesn't automatically override the ambient air temperature), coal is often used to get fires hot enough to allow the character to warm up outdoors.  It is most often found in the various mines in the game, and it does respawn in those mine/cave locations.  It will also respawn, I think, if you find it lying around loose in the snow, but I don't believe the coal you find next to forges or inside containers ever respawns.

Edited by UpUpAway95

13 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

To obtain charcoal from a burned out fire, you have to open the save interface as you use to start a fire... only then it will also show an option to take charcoal from the fire.  The use for charcoal in the game is to create your map, so I'm pretty sure that it is available in the Switch version.  I wouldn't mind seeing an additional use for charcoal... perhaps to extend the duration of low temp "cooking" fires, which is more like what it does IRL.

ETA:  I should also add that most of the burned out fires you just find in the game will not give you any charcoal (they used to, but Hinterland seems to have eliminated it from those fires).  You can restart the fire and use it...and then you'll be able to obtain charcoal from them as well.

The principle use for coal in low-difficulty runs is for forging since only coal will allow the forge to get up to the needed temperature.  In high-difficulty runs (where the fire temperature doesn't automatically override the ambient air temperature, coal is often used to get fires hot enough to allow the character to warm up outdoors.

Thanks for that info. The charcoal and map does make sense. But it seems like in the story mode it just made a map for me. I didn't see any charcoal or had to get a piece of cloth or paper to make it. 

I was surprised when I was playing. One minute i had no map then Poof it was there. Now I know why. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, R0ughHab1tz said:

Thanks for that info. The charcoal and map does make sense. But it seems like in the story mode it just made a map for me. I didn't see any charcoal or had to get a piece of cloth or paper to make it. 

I was surprised when I was playing. One minute i had no map then Poof it was there. Now I know why. 

I can understand why you might have been confused by story mode in this case.   Enjoy your survival run... it's a great game.