Rabbit Hole

Derek0311

What if we had a rabbit hole feature, a warren entrance at the base of a tree or something, where rabbits “live”.  Rabbits are crepuscular so we should see them mostly at dawn and dusk. Otherwise, they mostly stay hidden.  Say 100% at peak times and 25% or so at other times; maybe even less.

Also, the “penalty” for jumping rabbits is they hid for a period of time.  So if you jump them during the day setting up traps, no big deal.  If you jump them at dawn, you just screwed up hunting and trapping for the whole colony till dusk let’s say.

Last thing, shouldn’t they be white since their coats change with the seasons?

• Upvote 2

and sprains if you accidentally step into a warren entrance at pace...

re: colour, it appears rabbits stay brown, but hares go white:

https://cwf-fcf.org/en/about-cwf/faq/faqs/whats-the-difference-between.html#:~:text=Rabbits remain a grey%2Fbrown,camouflage with their wintery surroundings.

although jackrabbits are actually hares.  

• Upvote 1

I've never been quite sure if the extreme climate on Great Bear has been a recent thing due to the aurora or a gradual drop over time- this could impact on the bunny coat colour if it was a quick change.

tbh I'm sure the main reason the devs have them brown is to make them easier to spot!

I do like the idea of having different hunting outcomes at various times of day (I don't believe this has any current impact?).  Like a lot of the good ideas on this sub forum, my guess is that through issues around balance/ ease of implementation, they are more likely to make an appearance in TLD 2.

Agreed.  Most of my posts are actually ideas for consideration for TLD2.  
I’ve always heard that the color change is tied to available day light, not temperature.  Don’t quote me though, maybe it is temperature and I’m getting it wrong.  
Ideally, I’d want a game like The Hunter, Call of the Wild, with hunting but, way less emphasis on it.  However, heavy on survival elements.  I don’t think I’d play anything else.

We called them "snowshoe" rabbits. The oldtimers hunted them with beagles to the point that they were rare were I grew up. I was told that they were larger than cottontails (like which are in the game). They were often a mixture of brown and white coloring, more white in the winter, more brown in the summer. (edit: they also had larger back feet, hence the name "snowshoe") Hawks thinned them out as well, because with some white coloring they were easier to see when there was no snow on the ground.

Anyway, good idea. With the "hares" you should be able to get a little more meat from them as well.

Edited by Stoutlander

saw this earlier- timely:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/16/mountain-hares-at-risk-as-winter-coats-fail-to-camouflage-in-snowless-scottish-highlands

I'm becoming surprisingly interested in this topic and am spending too much time thinking about it- if only there was a phrase to describe this situation...