Tree variation

Satouthedeusmusco

Hi, I study forestry and because of that I’d love to see more types of trees in the game. I’m Dutch, so I don’t know a whole lot about trees in Canada, but currently find it a bit disappointing that there are only two types of matured tree. Birch and what I assume is both the cedar and fir trees using the same model (fully matured cedar trees aren’t common where I life, so I don’t know if they grow very differently from fir’s). There aren’t even any matured maple trees in the game! How could the tree whose leaf is on the flag be so poorly represented? I’d like to see some matured maple trees and maybe some oaks. Deciduous trees have very different growth patterns from conifer trees so I think their addition would make the game world look more dynamic.     

• Upvote 2

After having entered Pleasant Valley again on my newest character I must add that I just noticed there are indeed two different models for conifer trees. The one with the brances growing towards the sky very clearly being the fir which I love.

Could it be true that the model for the Fir tree isn't present in Mystery Lake, Muskeg and Railroad?

Either way, I would still love to see some matured maples and maybe some other deciduous trees since I think it would spice up the game world.

On 12/2/2020 at 7:50 PM, Mr. 0 said:

Smaller trees would mistake players to try harvest it. if true, you will have a ton of wood. Broken balance.

I'm talking matured trees here.

And why would players do that? Do you have any proof of this behavior?

And why would it even be unbalanced if it was possible? The biggest logs you can harvest in game are easily three meters in lenght yet they only give 4-5 wood. And felling a still standing tree is pretty time consuming and you'd still have to chop it into usable pieces. I don't see how tree felling would be unbalanced. The most reasonable reason to not add tree felling is because it'd simply be incredibly time consuming to implement.

But this thread isn't about tree felling. I'd simply like to see more tree variation.

• Upvote 1