New skill - leather craft

sonics01

I don't think HL will have enough time and manpower and resource to implement this idea, so this idea is just for thought experiment and modding possibility. 

I think woodcraft skill should be introduced as well, but for this post, I only write about leather craft skill. Maybe I or others could write about woodcraft skill later... 

In reality, leather crafting requires a lot of time and practice to being good at it, and to craft a "quality product". But in this game, characters craft many things from leather from the day 1 of wilderness. They don't even read a book for leather crafting. 

We could introduce the new skill of "leathercraft", up to level 7, with such features. 

A. Crafted leather cloths which were crafted in lower level should have slightly lower wind and temperature protection than products crafted at a higher level. Just like ammunition crafting.  

B. Crafted leather cloths which were crafted in lower level should have faster decay modifier than that of higher level. At the max level, the decay rate of the leather-crafted item should be "medium" even from interloper difficulty. 

C. Crafted leather/bladder liquid container, which I suggested in 

this post should have a different leaking rate based on the leathercraft level. Higher leaking rate at the lower level, and 0 leaking rates at level 7. 

D. The quality and decay rate of the bow should be influenced by leathercraft level (as well as woodcraft level) 

E. If more number of leather-crafted cloths are implemented (by HL or by modding), then it would be great to introduce a leather skill level requirement for specific leather crafted cloths. Leave current "basic" leather cloths as level 0 cloths. Then, it would be possible to introduce level 3, 5, 7 cloths with a new design in new parts. Wolf-earwarp, deer coat, wolf "shirt" ... there have been so many ideas, and there was a mod for the old version, before the "IL2CPP incident". Too bad that mod is not coming back now...     

F. At level 7, max-tier leather-crafted cloths should be available, with very nice and very fancy design (with a very slight bonus in temperature as well). I really hate the current bear coat design. I mean, what kind of designer could think of the bear-head-in-your-crotch with a bear coat? This is just horrible. Even I could think of much fancier design... Plus, deer/moose hat with antlers, bear hat, new fancier wolf coat, bear boots... The reward of max leathercraft skill should be convincing and satisfying enough. 

G. Level 7 should take long enough time to max. This will give one more motivation to play TLD longer and increase playtime for 'bored players' like me. 

H. When repairing leather cloths, repair speed and repair success rate should be influenced by sewing skill + leathercraft skill. Repair should also increase the leathercraft skill level. 

I. Leathercraft book should be also implemented with this idea. 

Edited by sonics01

makin leather should be simple : take a cured or uncured animal furr then take a knife to get off the hairs and it gives 1 to 10 of uncured / cured leather depending on the animal and if it has been cured or not 

lets say a moose hide give 10 cured leather a bear gives 7 a deer 5 a wolf 3 and a bunny  1 it should make sense. then if the leather isnt cured you cure it and use it to make more complex clothes.

i never understood why there were only animals skins that were used to make clothes it should contain leather cloth and even full clothes that we can loot for some types clothes for example we could instead of makin from a to z boots we could use lootable boots and add some fuur around it to insulate it it would make the boot a little bit heavyer and warmer, like that we could be able to find 1kg boots and just adding some furr to get the warmth wanted. i think that for now  the clothes crafting is too simple. there should also be some lighter clothes for example leather tshirt-leather pants and some sort of warm shoes that are not 2KG boots. sometimes we prefer travelling light and not having 2/4 of the inventory took by the clothes. so i definitely like the new clothes idea. it is really something to keep in mind

Edited by oplli