Sled

Baron Von Soule

:coffee::fire:
Sleds?  No thank you. 
It's been discussed a lot in the past:

On 8/16/2020 at 1:42 AM, ManicManiac said:

I'll just echo what I've mentioned in previous threads:

On 4/7/2020 at 3:05 AM, ManicManiac said:

I'm not in favor of the idea... mostly because I think that having to make careful decisions about what's worth lugging around (vs what we can do without... vs what we can leave behind because it's better to just come back for it when it's needed) makes working within those limits a richer experience in terms of having to work out our strategies for both short and long term survival.

If I'm being completely honest with you, I think that the way you describe it would do more to take away from that experience.

(That's just my opinion, I'm not condemning your idea... I just think it would take away much more than it would add)

On 1/31/2020 at 2:42 AM, ManicManiac said:

The sled (or pole-drag as you called it) has been addressed as a particular challenge to implement.

I rather like that we have to carefully consider how much we lug around with us and the risks of "loading up heavy" when moving things from place to place.  I feel like those limitations cause a player to have make important decisions on what's really necessary or worth the risk.  I think it also prompts us to consider our options more carefully before caching large amounts of supplies in any given location (our base camps, if you will).

On 10/22/2019 at 3:07 AM, ManicManiac said:

it has been discussed at great lengths.  I don't think it was shutdown per se, but the general consensus seems to be that it would be a very tricky mechanic in some places... loads of assets, animations, coding integration...

It's a neat idea, but ultimately it seems like maybe the "juice isn't worth the squeeze" (to turn a phrase).

On 5/6/2019 at 7:03 PM, ManicManiac said:

Well it still raises a couple of potential implementation problems... the physics of a sled (crafted or improvised doesn't really mater), models and mechanics for dragging it/interacting with it, how to handle terrain (like steep slopes for example), and how to handle various other unique situations - like what does the player do when they are dragging a sled but they need to cross a narrow fallen tree trunk (natural bridge)?  What happens to the sled during and after an attack from wolf, bear, or moose?

I mean having a sled to tow is a good idea that's been on the wish lists for a long time... I think there are just a lot of things that would have to go into the implementation that make it a much bigger task to add than it may seem.

On 9/12/2019 at 2:06 AM, ManicManiac said:

This topic in particular has been discussed at great length by many people... in short it seems that the general consensus is it would be neat but would have drastic effects on game play and potentially pose a lot of complex problems in terms of implantation and balancing.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I love this idea.  This game is a survival experience. I would make a sled in real life if I had the resources.  It would certainly be beneficial when dragging lotsa stuff long distances instead of me having to make 3 trips (the game quickly becomes a walking sim). I have read through a fair amount of the posts and most people believe, regardless if the are Pro or Con, that this won't happen, though.