Poutine Recipe anyone?

Hi 

Didn't want to hijack the winter's embrace thread, but I noticed a few people there mentioning poutine as a possible extra bit of Canadian content in the game.

I love this stuff, or at least the dish called Poutine that I can get locally (I don't live in Canada btw).  However, I'm firstly not going to be going there anytime soon due to Covid, and secondly not even sure how the stuff I've been eating compares to the original version (or any other versions eaten around the world, for that matter).  FWIW the dish I can get is very crispy little roasted potatoes, covered in thick gravy with grated cheese melted on top. 

So... does anyone out there have any poutine recipes to share?!

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Just saw this on a website that has a lot of positive reviews

Poutine Gravy:

• 3 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 20 oz beef broth
  • 10 oz chicken broth
  • Pepper, to taste

For Deep Fried Fries:

• 2 lbs Russet potatoes ((3-4 medium potatoes))
  • Peanut or other frying oil

Toppings:

• 1 - 1 1/2 cups white cheddar cheese curds ((Or torn chunks of mozzarella cheese would be the closest substitution))

INSTRUCTIONS

• Prepare the gravy: In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the water and set aside.
  • In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring regularly, for about 5 minutes, until the mixture turns golden brown.
  • Add the beef and chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk. Stir in about HALF the cornstarch mixture and simmer for a minute or so. If you'd like your gravy thicker, add a more of the cornstarch mixture, in small increments, as needed, to thicken. Season with pepper. Taste and add additional salt, if necessary, to taste. Make ahead and re-warm or keep warm until your fries are ready.
  • For Deep-Fried Fries: Prepare your potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch thick sticks. Place into a large bowl and cover completely with cold water. Allow to stand at least one hour or several hours. When ready to cook, heat your oil in your deep fryer or large, wide, heavy cooking pot to 300° F.
  • Remove the potatoes from the water and place onto a sheet of paper towel. Blot to remove as much excess moisture as possible.
  • Add your fries to the 300°F oil and cook for 5-8 minutes, just until potatoes are starting to cook but are not yet browned. Remove potatoes from oil and scatter on a wire rack. Increase oil temperature to 375°F Once oil is heated to that temperature, return the potatoes to the fryer and cook until potatoes are golden brown. Remove to a paper towel-lined bowl.
  • To Prepare Poutine: Add your fried or baked fries to a large, clean bowl. Season lightly with salt while still warm. Add a ladle of hot poutine gravy to the bowl and using tongs, toss the fries in the gravy. Add more gravy, as needed to mostly coat the fries.
  • Add the cheese curds and toss with the hot fries and gravy. Serve with freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.
  •  
Edited by singapore
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, stratvox said:

Only curds qualify as poutine. /montreallaise

fair enough, thanks!  A bit like paella/ 'rice and things' I suppose?

Any other big dos and don'ts? The dish I've had was made with roasted potatoes, but I see French Fries are often mentioned.  I don't really want to open up the Fries/ chips debate though... 🍟

On 10/4/2020 at 12:30 PM, stratvox said:

Only curds qualify as poutine. /montreallaise

I live in Canada and I was going to say, if it's not curds it doesn't qualify to be called poutine.  Most places make it with French Fries or hand-cut fries and every restaurant I have been to with Beef Gravy and cheese curds...I could go for a poutine . . .in game too.

The potatoes are supposed to be deep fried, not roasted, for a poutine. As was mentioned above, a lot of hand cut fries, but also a lot of "machine" fries get used for poutine too, though I guess I'd say I think fast food fries a la Rotten Ronnie's or Burger Thing are not the best exemplars of what french fries can be.