Fishing

vega

Hello ,

I dont know if has been mentioned before, but i think fishing needs some love. As it is at the moment you just stand above a hole in the ice and you "wait" . (it is a thing in fishing i know 😛)

I wish it could be more interactive , like use a rod , or bait , maybe fish in the ocean? just saying!

thank you 🙂

I'm fine with the mechanic as is, but I would support the idea of the addition of "passive" fishing.
I've mentioned this in a Milton Mailbag question:

I know you mentioned expanding on the fishing mechanics is still on the list of possibilities for future updates...  What are your thoughts on the player being able to find/craft something like an ice fishing Tip-Up?

(Context) the idea that perhaps ice fishing in addition to the present mechanic, could maybe also be a passive activity like using the rabbit snare (the difference being the tip-up only yielding one fish where as sitting at the hole to fish already has a chance to yield more in a given time frame).  That a player might set the tip-up, freeing up the player to go do something else until the flag pops up when a fish is caught.  Similar to the snare if it's neglected for too long the fish would "get away" and need to be reset.  (I know you had a question about fishing last week, but since this one was more specific I hoped it would be worth posting)

1546585792_IcefishingTip-Up.jpg.2b7501486504582dc8c5f2aa0634f517.jpg

Raph responded with this:

I saw something like this used in the movie, ARCTIC, and I definitely thought it could be a useful part of a Fishing overhaul. It's on my list (but, making no promises!).

;) 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Again though, I am fine with the mechanic as is... so while I think this could be a nice touch, ultimately I acknowledge that it's not really necessary.

Edited by ManicManiac
Added links.
  • Upvote 1

I'm a dad and have been taking my 9 and 10 year old boys fishing lately.  I find a certain peace and comfort in fishing these days that I didn't find in my younger days.  As I went back and started fishing in game, I found myself wishing it were more than a timer.  I think a transition would be kind of like going from the old style cooking to the current style.  You wouldn't necessarily be fishing and chopping wood at the same time, for example, but I think it would allow better interaction for something like boiling water on the pot belly stove while fishing.  Or cooking smaller fish while catching other fish.

On 6/7/2020 at 6:52 PM, ManicManiac said:

I'm fine with the mechanic as is, but I would support the idea of the addition of "passive" fishing.
I've mentioned this in a Milton Mailbag question:

Raph responded with this:

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Again though, I am fine with the mechanic as is... so while I think this could be a nice touch, ultimately I acknowledge that it's not really necessary.

I would be 100% on board with passive fishing. Would be nice to set 1 up in all of the fishing huts on coastal Highway & Mystery lake. Could have food caught while your crafting or exploring. 

• Upvote 1