Dried beans & whole grains food items

n4rut0f4n

So I have made some not so helpful food suggestions before in the forum & after playing the game more, I like to think I have a better idea.

My idea is dried beans and whole grains to be added to the game. These would be non-perishable food items to be stored indoors with a slow decay rate. They would provide some good calories, but at the cost of a lengthy cooking time. I think it would work perfectly with the cooking pot and boiling water mechanic that the game has already. I also feel like this would be a better solution of long-term calories, instead of exploiting the 0% harvested stockpiled meat mechanic. 

Might as well shoot my shot, since TLD keeps bringing in awesome updates that deepen the game, let me know if my idea is bad or not.

• Upvote 2

I actually like this. The only caveat is that unlike meat/fish that's a non-renewable resource.

A further requirement might be that the beans/grains require 24 hours of soaking in a recycled can/cooking pot, with the amount able to be prepped scaled accordingly... as well as having decay go into overdrive once the soaking is completed.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stratvox said:

I actually like this. The only caveat is that unlike meat/fish that's a non-renewable resource.

A further requirement might be that the beans/grains require 24 hours of soaking in a recycled can/cooking pot, with the amount able to be prepped scaled accordingly... as well as having decay go into overdrive once the soaking is completed.

Thanks for your suggestions! I like that it focuses on preparation,  something that's drilled into us players surviving in TLD. 

I suppose maybe one day, we will have another edible plant food item, another animal to hunt, maybe salt to preserve food and the mechanic to prepare home-made jerky, as well as seeds to plant indoors as renewable resources. 

If you had a stone in your inventory you could grind the grain up, add some water and salt, and let it sit for a day or two (similar to the curing mechanic). Put it in the cooking pot and set it next to a fire to make some bread.

Edited by EjectedCasings
Pots don't cook bread, silly

1 hour ago, EjectedCasings said:

If you had a stone in your inventory you could grind the grain up, add some water and salt, and let it sit for a day or two (similar to the curing mechanic). Put it in the cooking pot and set it next to a fire to make some bread.

I've never had to make my own bread so I have no clue, but if that would be doable in real life, then why not.

I also don't want go overboard and turn this game into a cooking simulator lol.

1 hour ago, n4rut0f4n said:

I've never had to make my own bread so I have no clue, but if that would be doable in real life, then why not.

I also don't want go overboard and turn this game into a cooking simulator lol.

It's how ancient peoples used to make bread. Adding yeast speeds up the process, but isn't technically necessary.