Challenges Update

Lohaan

I'm not saying this will improve the current challenges...but as a speedrunner, for me it would. This is my VERY SHORTENED wishlist for them... 

1. Hopeless Rescue: Please leave the flare gun exploit so we can collect at the crash site in PV and not all the way up TWM (as an option for a shorter run). 
  2. The Hunted Part One: PLEASE...1 guaranteed can of coffee at the farmhouse to avoid a million restarts..or at least increase its spawn rate....cos its very low atm. 
  3. Archivist: Please...make it like 4DON so we can have Aurora every day....and then this might also become a speedrunning challenge with replayability. 

Also, please give us an in-game timer like Hopeless Rescue for these challenges to keep checking. And can the timers (or at least your complete time) show seconds...not just minutes...so we can optimize the runs and start shaving off seconds...

I know this some of these are a longshot...especially that can of coffee...but hey....I made a list and checked it twice...you never know....

Looking forward for the December Survival update. 

Edited by Lohaan

7 hours ago, Lohaan said:

Also, please give us an in-game timer like Hopeless Rescue for these challenges to keep checking. And can the timers (or at least your complete time) show seconds...not just minutes...so we can optimize the runs and start shaving off seconds...

There's tools for that. Check this for exemple, you'll see the timers on some videos.

30 minutes ago, stay puft said:

shouldn't they fix this

Sure, it's not supposed to be this way...but honestly, it doesn't make the challenge pointless. I've ran Hopeless Rescue...up that mountain..more than I care to count. My best time is 15 hours 31 minutes. And that was in May...and then I was spent. The replayability factor for this run becomes too tedious. Sure, it's part of speedrunning...but having the option of NOT going up the mountain suddenly changed the whole run...and in fact, revived it for some of us. Sure, it's an exploit...but being able to squeeze in a run just under an hour is a lot different (and a lot more exciting) than a 1 hour 20 minute run. It's just a more condensed form of the same challenge I suppose.  Most people might only run HR once or twice...because of the mountain...but this route certainly offers more replayability in my humble opinion. But...they don't have to change it...just leave it as is now. Same as the bug at Trapper's causing the lights to shine. Just leave it :D

1 hour ago, LkP said:

There's tools for that. Check this for exemple, you'll see the timers on some videos.

Also, a side note on this point about runs with these timers....most players using them do a run like Hopeless Rescue for example and then post a  time of....i dunno let's say 43 minutes...so they measure it in real world time...whereas i feel these challenges should be measured in-game time...something you cannot really achieve with these timers...at least I don't think you can. I know its debatable...maybe the Hunted 1 and 2 you can do real world time..but definitely not Hopeless Rescue..which is probably the best challenge out of the lot...

2 hours ago, Lohaan said:

I've used the timers provided...but I really do prefer seeing the one provided in-game...like Hopeless Rescue. 

Ok, I got your point (including the side note). But in HR you will still have the in-game timer when you reached the end. The tools would help to have some checkpoints, test strategies, and so and so. GL on your wishes,anyway ;)

• Upvote 1