Immersion Quality Changes

Fuarian

Just some small stuff that isn't terribly important but would make the game much more immersive.

-Soda cans left in the cold explode/rupture.

-Wood, tinder and burnables left in cold will get wet/unusable, wet wood is less effective.

-Fires can last longer than 12 hours. Imagine lighting a fire in the morning and then coming home to it still blazing. Aaaah.

-Colour of light coming through windows should reflect the exact colour of the light outside. 

-Certain clothing items should get wet quicker than others, including by simply walking in snow. i.e. socks getting immediately soaked when walking outside with running shoes on.

-Better smoke from chimneys. Smoke in the distance for navigating back home. 

-Wildlife attacks and injuries give the PAIN affliction and/or HEADACHE affliction and the CONCUSSION affliction from Ep. 3.

-Going completely thirsty/hungry results in the DEHYDRATION risk and affliction & the STARVATION risk and affliction. (seen in Ep. 3 with the survivors).

-Tools found out in the snow should be lower quality (i.e. rusted)

-Scaring away deer once should cause the deer/deer herd to relocate. Wolves shouldn't stay local to one spot. Wildlife shouldn't be as satic as it is, forcing you to move vast distances to hunt OR you don't stay in one place. 

-Cargo pants & combat pants should increase your carry weight by 0.5kg (lots of pockets). 

-Leaving meat outside has the risk of being eaten by/attracting predators to your location. The more you do this, the more likely predators will make a habit of patrolling your area. 

-Throwable decoys

-Left clicking to brandish flares and torches

-Levels of aurora intensity, highest intensity turns of heaters and appliances, lowest level is only the aurora and small lightbulbs. 

-Radios should play static or staticy music, not clear classical tracks. 

-Add a lookout tower/building to Broken Railroad, open up one side of the map (across the tracks) for some extra playability in the smallest region in the game. 

-Ice on Mystery Lake and Crystal Lake has a risk to weaken. Same with areas on the CH bay and DP. 

-Hints of other survivors out there (don't actually have to add NPC's). Stuff like; smoke in the distance, find burning/burnt out campfires, footprints, dropped items, blood trails, looted buildings (very small chance), dead animals, new frozen (human) corpses that weren't there before, flare gun shots going off (also rare). 

• Upvote 3

@Fuarian,
I think a few of these things could be a nice touch...
A couple of them are actually already in the game, you just haven't seemed to recognized them.
Some, I feel are kind of overpowered or just player conveniences (of which I'm generally never in favor of) 
The rest I think would just wreck the feel of the game.
A few also feel kind of pedantic...

So for me, this is really a mixed bag.

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

@Fuarian,
I think a few of these things could be a nice touch...
A couple of them are actually already in the game, you just haven't seemed to recognized them.
Some, I feel are kind of overpowered or just player conveniences (of which I'm generally never in favor of) 
The rest I think would just wreck the feel of the game.
A few also feel kind of pedantic...

So for me, this is really a mixed bag.

:coffee::fire:

Which ones are already in the game?

@Fuarian
Of your examples:
Dehydration and starvation.  Granted the "affliction" is implied while not being explicitly stated.... the effects are there (loss of condition and inability to recuperate condition while in effect, lack of "focus" as it relates to being able to read). 

Also aurora intensity, when the aura begins (and sometimes nearing the end) I've experienced that it can cause a sort of "in between stage" where some lights are flickering a little bit but not all.  During those times I've noticed that the flashlight might get a charge but terminals and radios don't "work" yet... then a little later on when the aurora is in it's full glory then all the lights and electronic start to function to the extent the game allows. 

Edited by ManicManiac

Guest kristaok
2 hours ago, Fuarian said:

-Soda cans left in the cold explode/rupture.

Not really fond of this idea for some reason, besides pop cans last longer inside in TLD and that's where I always store mine. :P 

-Wood, tinder and burnables left in cold will get wet/unusable, wet wood is less effective.

I may be for this if the wood would only get wet outside while it's not under a shed or something, because a lot of times I place my wood inside of those open sheds to store it for later. So if there is a way they could implement that without it affecting wood inside those open shed thingy's then I would be okay with it.

-Colour of light coming through windows should reflect the exact colour of the light outside. 

I agree, I would also like to see a tad more light inside in general during the day time... it seems like lately it's been getting darker inside for me at least anyway.

-Certain clothing items should get wet quicker than others, including by simply walking in snow. i.e. socks getting immediately soaked when walking outside with running shoes on.

I could live with this, this seems pretty realistic.

-Better smoke from chimneys. Smoke in the distance for navigating back home. 

Agreed.

-Wildlife attacks and injuries give the PAIN affliction and/or HEADACHE affliction and the CONCUSSION affliction from Ep. 3.

Yes, agreed.

-Going completely thirsty/hungry results in the DEHYDRATION risk and affliction & the STARVATION risk and affliction. (seen in Ep. 3 with the survivors).

Yes, agreed. 

EDIT: I would also like to see them implement "Rabbit Starvation aka Protein Poisoning" which is a VERY real ailment that comes from eating too much rabbit meat, and not eating enough of anything else.

-Tools found out in the snow should be lower quality (i.e. rusted)

Another thing I could live with. Good idea!

-Scaring away deer once should cause the deer/deer herd to relocate. Wolves shouldn't stay local to one spot. Wildlife shouldn't be as satic as it is, forcing you to move vast distances to hunt OR you don't stay in one place. 

I don't think I like this idea too much... I will explain why... where I am living currently IRL there is deer here that we feed, they will run when they see us but they still come back. So just because an animal is scared off does not mean they will not come back to that area.

-Cargo pants & combat pants should increase your carry weight by 0.5kg (lots of pockets). 

Hmm... I would probably rather see something like a sled that could be pulled to tote more items with if I had to choose.

-Throwable decoys

I miss the old way of dropping decoys, I heard it was removed to prevent people from baiting the wolves just to shoot them. Either way I find the old way more realistic. 

-Left clicking to brandish flares and torches

I like the way it is currently. 

-Levels of aurora intensity, highest intensity turns of heaters and appliances, lowest level is only the aurora and small lightbulbs. 

There already is levels perse... but I get what you mean. I actually thought about this before, but the aurora's honestly don't last long enough for it to make much of a difference anyway.

-Radios should play static or staticy music, not clear classical tracks. 

If you listen you can hear that it does make a static sound when first starting up, I must say though... I like the way it is now. 

-Add a lookout tower/building to Broken Railroad, open up one side of the map (across the tracks) for some extra playability in the smallest region in the game. 

I could be for this, but I admit I don't really play in that region. 

-Ice on Mystery Lake and Crystal Lake has a risk to weaken. Same with areas on the CH bay and DP. 

I could live with this, and it would make sense.

-Hints of other survivors out there (don't actually have to add NPC's). Stuff like; smoke in the distance, find burning/burnt out campfires, footprints, dropped items, blood trails, looted buildings (very small chance), dead animals, new frozen (human) corpses that weren't there before, flare gun shots going off (also rare). 

Do you mean in Survival Mode? I admit Survival Mode does feel lonesome, but I have gotten quite used to the way it is now... so I could do with or without this option.

Edited by kristaok

23 hours ago, kristaok said:

Not really fond of this idea for some reason, besides pop cans last longer inside in TLD and that's where I always store mine. :P 

I may be for this if the wood would only get wet outside while it's not under a shed or something, because a lot of times I place my wood inside of those open sheds to store it for later. So if there is a way they could implement that without it affecting wood inside those open shed thingy's then I would be okay with it.

I agree, I would also like to see a tad more light inside in general during the day time... it seems like lately it's been getting darker inside for me at least anyway.

I could live with this, this seems pretty realistic.

Agreed.

Yes, agreed.

Yes, agreed. 

EDIT: I would also like to see them implement "Rabbit Starvation aka Protein Poisoning" which is a VERY real ailment that comes from eating too much rabbit meat, and not eating enough of anything else.

Another thing I could live with. Good idea!

I don't think I like this idea too much... I will explain why... where I am living currently IRL there is deer here that we feed, they will run when they see us but they still come back. So just because an animal is scared off does not mean they will not come back to that area.

Hmm... I would probably rather see something like a sled that could be pulled to tote more items with if I had to choose.

I miss the old way of dropping decoys, I heard it was removed to prevent people from baiting the wolves just to shoot them. Either way I find the old way more realistic. 

I like the way it is currently. 

There already is levels perse... but I get what you mean. I actually thought about this before, but the aurora's honestly don't last long enough for it to make much of a difference anyway.

If you listen you can hear that it does make a static sound when first starting up, I must say though... I like the way it is now. 

I could be for this, but I admit I don't really play in that region. 

I could live with this, and it would make sense.

Do you mean in Survival Mode? I admit Survival Mode does feel lonesome, but I have gotten quite used to the way it is now... so I could do with or without this option.

You disagree with a lot of these points because it would make your current situation difficult. But that's the point! :D

The Long Dark isn't meant to be easy. I mean just look at it.