The real survivors of The Long Dark

S-Lola

Ever hear of the Lykov Family? No doubt our Russian players have. They went willingly into the Siberian Taiga in 1937 to preserve their religious freedoms and were 'rediscovered' in 1978 by Soviet geologists. The lone survivor of the family has soldiered on, mostly alone, since the late eighties when her last familial companion passed away. She is still going today.

The son of the family, Dmitry was even known to hunt, barefoot for several days in winter snow and temperatures of up to 40 deg below. Check out this great story by The Smithsonian Magazine or look them up on Wiki, you won't be disappointed.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/f ... 56/?no-ist

You could say that they 'won' the game Hinterland is making. Oh yeah, all their metal items deteriorated into non-existence, their clothing was patched with cloth until it fell apart and they had to grow their own. No rifle either, and wolves everywhere, I'm sure. :roll:

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I just picked up The Long Dark today and stopped by these forums to have a little browse since I find the game so refreshingly innovative.

Anyway, then I stumbled upon your post and read the linked article. I had to register to these forums simply because I felt the urge to respond.

Wow! What a story... I can't imagine what it takes for someone to find the strength to survive and go on day after day in such conditions. In a way their story gives me hope, that perhaps we are more independent and less reliant on the social systems we have built up around ourselves to ward off the "wild."

Thank you for sharing. I hope someone else takes from this family's tenacity the same kind of hope that it gave me.

Peace,

polarnomad

I'm glad this thread popped up again - I hadn't seen it yet, and hadn't heard the story either. That's incredible. Good find, and thanks so much for sharing. I can't even imagine living that kind of life, but being able to survive and fend for yourself like that must be incredibly satisfying on some level.

And welcome, polarnomad :) Hope you enjoy the forums!

Yes i heard the story before. They survived on gardening but one time some animals came and ate all their plants and they only had 1 plant left. So they had to guard the last plant 24 7 so they wouldnt lose it. Then when spring or fall came they could make some more plants.

But it was tough times for them

I'm glad this thread popped up again - I hadn't seen it yet, and hadn't heard the story either. That's incredible. Good find, and thanks so much for sharing. I can't even imagine living that kind of life, but being able to survive and fend for yourself like that must be incredibly satisfying on some level.

And welcome, polarnomad :) Hope you enjoy the forums!

Thx Bethany! :) I shall indeed enjoy the forums, and the game.

I would imagine that surviving like that would be satisfying if that is your own choice, but having the situation forced upon you must surely engender bitterness that increases the difficulty of dealing with surviving on the psychological level.

Yes i heard the story before. They survived on gardening but one time some animals came and ate all their plants and they only had 1 plant left. So they had to guard the last plant 24 7 so they wouldnt lose it. Then when spring or fall came they could make some more plants.

But it was tough times for them

So many people would have given up. It is humbling to read about people who have that kind of will to go on in the face of unforgiving adversity.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived