Training wolfs

pikkue

Hello,

So when I was about to sleep yesterday I had loads of thoughts about what could be added to le game, unfortunately only one got stuck to my head.

What about training wolfs as a help in hunting?

You'd have to share meat with them of course, but they could be very useful (one a time of course) and it would add an aspect to late game aswell.

What you think?

Not a bad idea. In real life the only time wolves are known to be anywhere near humans on a regular basis is when they're being fed. And it's possible to sort of semi-tame them with treats, though you'll also get bit in the process. Given the psycho dynamic of the game wolves, I kind of like the idea of luring local wolves in with free meals and then having them fight off outside wolves to protect their food source. I've heard it said that's how dogs evolved. The down side is if you run out of meat for your "friends", YOU are their back up food source. Could be fun! The wolves would need to have an alternate attitude toggled by a certain number of meals fed to them by you. But to maintain that alt attitude, you'd have to feed the wolf in question fresh meat every few days or hope it caught a deer to keep it satisfied. A protection for your homestead but at a cost.

This would actually be pretty cool since you can drop bait as it is, maybe make it so if you drop a certain bait (To be added later perhaps?) or if you drop multiple slabs of meat (Venison/Rabbit) in close proximity to each other you can tame it over time to become your companion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This strikes me as something that'd be more an event in story mode, and MAYBE a random sort of event in sandbox mode. Find a wounded wolf, or perhaps a dead wolf mother with some cubs, and make the decision to nurse them to health.

I was thinking the same thing. I would love to see this as another mechanic and defense strategy for the game. I think it should definitely be a challenge to keep a wolf alive and healthy, not like a rifle with a mind of its own. So do you sacrifice some of your food and water do have a personal bodyguard or go it alone?

I think being able to domesticate anything would defeat the whole theme of the game - survival against nature. I anticipate story mode delving into this more directly; something tells me we'll see tough decisions regarding sharing scarce resources with NPC survivors and what not, and having a wild animal mouth to feed seems to cut against that "barely scraping by" dynamic.

Archived