Wind Mechanics

TheGaffer

So, windchill is a statistic that has been in the game since the start (since I've been playing anyway). So I feel like the wind being its own entity in the the game would add to the realism. Rather than what it seems to be currently, just a stat allocated to areas.

The game makes sense so far, and you can do mostly anything you would expect to do in the scenario of the game. No tinder? Great I have paper. No can opener? I can still smash the can open or use a knife. etc.

My gripe, and it's a mild one. Is when I'm stuck outside during a horrendous change in weather and a snowstorm rolls in, is to try and hide myself behind objects and shield myself from the huge windchill factor, this unfortunately has no impact.

I feel like the game needs to understand the direction of wind and how other objects would interact with this. Just like the sun casts a shadow, strong wind should cast a 'shadow' of calmer air behind a rock face or the remnants of a burnt out building. Also with this sort of mechanic in place you wouldn't need to manually set the temperature variations of different areas, players would be able to instinctively head for simple cover, like a cave. In addition, if they're setting up a fire they can find a location that would limit the chance of it being blown to smithereens.

There may be a few other impacts this could have on other gameplay mechanics. Like running into, and with the wind would affect your movement speed and also the chance of injury.

Anyway, I understand this isn't exactly a small ask to implement a wind mechanic but it would definitely add a huge amount of immersive play to the outdoors game.

I do think that wind flow should be dictated by the same engine that controls lighting. Anything that is in the direct path receives the full wind chill effect, anything in the wind shadow should be sheltered. To combat exploitation of this, the devs should add buffeting and eddy zones, where shifts in wind direction would cause the wind to comb into some of the sheltered areas, blowing out fires and chilling the occupants.

• 9 months later...

I had to come back to this and just say: Great job Hinterland. Literally everything I mentioned here is in the game now. So, it must have been a pretty unanimous consensus within the community and devs that you wanted all of this anyway.

The game makes so much sense now and I'm really loving how far it's come over the year!

Archived